+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

If you were host/hostess to the Amish youth during rumspringa, what would you like them to see or do?

Seeing how much Ruth loved seeing art gallery and the ocean, I think it would be interesting for them to go to an aquarium and maybe something cultural like the ballet or an opera (in addition to more modern music).

Hmm, wonder if they'll all go to Disneyland or something?

I'd like to see them try driving.

I would love to see the Amish go to Disneyland and 6 Flags. Can you imagine the looks on their faces on the huge roller coasters???? And what would they think of the whole Disney crew??????? Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto etc. Do they even know who all the characters are?

FORT Newbie

The Amish or at least Mendonites go to amusement parks all the time

The go to amusement parks all the time.

I have neve been to Cedar Point (OH) where I didn't see a large group of Amish or Mendonites.

So, I'm not sure if they would be that amazed.

FORT Fogey
    Well, it would still be cool for those who have never been there.

I would also like to expose them to more culture and art. A Shakespearean festival would be cool as well as museums and galleries. I know it sounds ultra y but I think they would probably get a lot out of a trip to a Science Center. I'm sure most have been to movies, but a trip to an Imax theatre would probably be mind-blowing.
    I'd take them to a book store to buy all the (good) books they wanted.
    And I would bring them to my church (it's rather liberal) and to events that we have so they could experience how other Christians worship and have fellowship together. I would just really like to see them challenge their particular beliefs, not just have rumspringa be about partying and having a good time.
    Last edited by toque; 08-09-2004 at 09:19 PM.

Well... me for one, I'm surprised there's not a computer in the house with internet access & all that stuff... it's one of the big revolutions of modern times & I doubt they've experiences much of that.

I'd definitely take them to different churches to show them that they have an option of churches to go to and that they need to find one that fits them & their beliefs, and not judge all churches on the basis of one visit to one church.

I'd take them shopping! Hand the kids a certain amount of cash each & send them to the mall... I doubt any of the Amish has ever gone on a truly materialistic spending spree.

Take'em mini golfing & to a video arcade...there's a variety of options if they do that... baseball batting cages, gocarts, bumper boats... (of course an amusement park will be better... I hope they do that)
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

FORT Newbie
    I would just like to spend some time with them...maybe just going out for a drink or meal...talking to them, getting to know each other...and also because Ruth said she might like to be a singer...I think I'll expose her to American Idol lol. Maybe go ice skating, play a few sports. Just simple, little things. I'm not much of a party-goer myself anyways. Oh, and I would love to bake with them. We can exchange recipies with each other lol. Other than that, I would like to take them to amusement parks, and to more popular concerts than the one they went to on the show.

FORT Newbie
    Well definitely give them a dose of food from all over. Maybe different exotic restaurants. Also a trip out in a glass botomed boat would be terrific. Art galleries also, maybe a fashion show and an hockey game.

A trip to an employment office and a look at apartment rentals might also be in order, give them a look at what reality holds.

And not to sound too repetitive I'd love to give Mose lasic eye surgery, Randy veneers, take the girls shopping in a fab lingerie/underwear store, and Jonas getting his GED is perfect. I'm so glad they're doing it.

Premium Member
    ...take them to a U2 concert

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

Quote Originally Posted by touque
    Well, it would still be cool for those who have never been there.

I would also like to expose them to more culture and art. A Shakespearean festival would be cool as well as museums and galleries. I know it sounds ultra y but I think they would probably get a lot out of a trip to a Science Center. I'm sure most have been to movies, but a trip to an Imax theatre would probably be mind-blowing.
    I'd take them to a book store to buy all the (good) books they wanted.
    And I would bring them to my church (it's rather liberal) and to events that we have so they could experience how other Christians worship and have fellowship together. I would just really like to see them challenge their particular beliefs, not just have rumspringa be about partying and having a good time.
    they have the same choices and opportunities in this world as you do. it's their choice not to do certain things. if these things are what they wanted to do,then they could just go and do them, they wouldn't need anyones help. they aren't encino man.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast