+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I don't find that I'm impressed with the city kids.

At ALL.

IMHO, they're rude and condescending to the Amish kids.

It's not necessary.

If they'd be a little more open-minded and patient, at least try to see the other side of things, there might be less friction.

And yup, count me in on the "I don't like Nick" brigade.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Am I the only one who thought something else was going on under the sheets? I don't know their names, but they were both city kids. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

FORT Newbie
    Wow, Jonas seems as though he's had it rough and is reaching out for more...for someone to show that they care. I just wanted to hug him when he was talking about the things his father has said to him that killed his spirit.
    I'm not good at empathy...will you settle for sarcasm? :rolleyes

We learned a lot more about Jonas and where he's coming from. I think if he does end up not going back to the Amish lifestyle he would be just fine in the real world. I like the fact that the city kids are teaching him what he could do, like get his GED and going to college and making a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty
    I didn't find the show boring at all. Watching how the kids interact with each other and how the Amish kids react to seeing and experiencing new things is exciting to me. I hate when the show ends I just want it to go on and on.
    That's exactly how I feel!! Last night when it was over I was like, "Awww"

I guess I've tuned Nick out because he didn't bug me as much as the first show. But Reece certainly shocked me -- I would never have suspected that such a good heart lurked under his "club kid/diva" personae. I wish Whitney would just shut her whiney mouth -- ugh! Mose is by far the most likable but all the Amish kids are extremely interesting. Even Randy -- I thought it was so sweet after the "Arrested Development" concert the way he said about his backstage pass -- something like "I'm gonna keep this forever"

This is definitely my new favorite show. At the beginning the narrator guy says that the kids lived together for nine weeks. Does that mean we only get 9 episodes?? Awww, rats, that means there are only 7 episodes left :phhht

FORT Newbie
    I hope that at the end of the show they let us loyal viewers know whether the Amish have decided to go back Amish or live the city life.
    Some shows leave you wondering "hey I wonder what ever happended to...."
    I'm not good at empathy...will you settle for sarcasm? :rolleyes

They've got to show us what happens in the end & what they decide... I hope so... it would be cool if they'd do a twist & bring the city kids to Amish country... lol ... although after all the whining they did when they had to clean horse dung, I don't know if they Amish want to put up with that.

I love all the Amish guys, they seem very real & down to earth. Wonder who will go back & who will choose to explore more... so far it seems like Jonas & maybe Randy are prone to stay in the city, maybe Miriam ... Mose will probably most definitely turn back to the Amish... he seems to be having a good time but seems like he misses his regular lifestyle.
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

[QUOTE=Tigrazhia]They've got to show us what happens in the end & what they decide... I hope so... it would be cool if they'd do a twist & bring the city kids to Amish country... lol ... although after all the whining they did when they had to clean horse dung, I don't know if they Amish want to put up with that.
    QUOTE]

We may not find out. I can't remember who it was, I think it was Mose or maybe Miriam, that said Rumspringa could last as long or as many years as it takes for them to make a decision to become Amish. They could be in their 40's and still come back. So unless there was some agreement they signed saying that they have to decide right after the show we may never know.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

FORT Newbie
    [QUOTE=Tigerusty]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigrazhia
    They've got to show us what happens in the end & what they decide... I hope so... it would be cool if they'd do a twist & bring the city kids to Amish country... lol ... although after all the whining they did when they had to clean horse dung, I don't know if they Amish want to put up with that.
    QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigrazhia

We may not find out. I can't remember who it was, I think it was Mose or maybe Miriam, that said Rumspringa could last as long or as many years as it takes for them to make a decision to become Amish. They could be in their 40's and still come back. So unless there was some agreement they signed saying that they have to decide right after the show we may never know.

Right, and even if they were forced to make a decision, it would be meaningless -- like the
    "marriages" that result from other reality shows. You only decide when you decide....

I thought this was an interesting episode for the most part. The city kids still aren't showing too many likeable qualities, but I'm still hopeful that we'll see a turnaround by the end of the two months that the groups spent together. Anyone know how many episodes there are? As flakey as Ariel is, she is the only one really trying to reach out to the Amish and get to know them. I think she is the only one who appreciates the gravity of the choice that the Amish kids have to make. I don't hold anything against her for trying to bring Randy out. Her intentions were good; just her timing and delivery weren't. Randy locked up, feeling like he was being attacked. Nick wasn't helping the situation with his challenge, but then again, Nick is about as sensitive as a Roman attending a Lions vs. Christians game at the Coliseum back in the day.

Speaking of Nick, he sure gets his jollies laughing at - not with - the Amish: Mose not knowing what reggae was. And he made such a big deal out of him not knowing who Bob Marley was. I'm betting reggae wouldn't be too popular in Amish country if music were allowed, since Marley and many other Jamaican musicians advocated the smoking of ganja (marijuana) as a religious sacrament. And why couldn't he tell Randy what the cord was for on a bus, instead of just letting him pull away? Maybe he did, and editing just didn't show it. While I appreciate his honesty about his discomfort being around the mentally disabled folks, he still could have tried. He might have surprised himself (and us). If he got there and couldn't handle it, then he could just leave. Oh, I do give him credit for shoveling manure at the horse ranch - a real s----y job by anyone's standard. Unlike Whitney who sat there and did NOTHING. I guess she was too good to do it (or her participation was edited out).

Whitney (if you wear those yellow industrial disposable earplugs, her voice is almost soothing) over-reacted during her argument with Ruth and the others. She didn't even try to see where the Amish were coming from. It was heartwarming to see her bond with Randy at their lunch. I'm hoping to see a better side of her next week when they visit her family.

Props to Reese for volunteering at the center, and for getting the rest of them to go. Not enough people are willing to do something like that.

One last thing. Meagan thinks a little too highly of herself. She's not that much of a catch, imo. By the way, what the hell is a "fashion stylist" anyway? Is that even a real job?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast