+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there an ethics question here?

FORT Newbie

Don't be shocked by the Amish's knowledge of slang and the outside world

I live in Ohio, and if you have ever been to any of the Amish areas you know that they are big for the tourist industry.

Many of the Amish kids work side by side other kids in the shops, hotels and other businesses in these towns. So they hear and see the trends of the outside world probably allot more that you think.
    but...
    I was surprised how willing they were to take off their clothes. I would have thought they would be more conservative in their dress and such.

I agree with you on the city kids, Ladybug. This bunch is certainly doesn't represent 'average' early 20's Americans. If all the city kids on this show accidenatlly fell down an empty elevator shaft, the gene pool would only be strengthened by having them out of it. On the other hand, I would imagine that the Amish kids they picked for the show aren't exactly representative of typical Amish 20 somethings.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    I was a bit confused...Ruth had distinct highlights in her hair that were grown out. In the beginning when they showed Ruth with her boyfriend she was wearing Nike socks with Nike Tennis shoes. hmmm
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

The Amish do go to stores in the city and buy things. The ones around me went to Walmart, etc. It probably depends on the area they are living as to what is available. During the Rumaspring we would see the horse/buggies tied up and find the kids wearing "normal" clothes out partying.
    There's no place like home!

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar
    When I was growing up we had an Amish housekeeper - her name was Esther. She used to love ironing and watching her soaps. When her younger brothers and sisters would visit, they liked to play with my sister and I and they would pick up our slang and habits. When the Amish are not within their community, especially the younger ones, they tend to drift away from their restrictive lifestyle, even if just for a little while.

Sometimes, we were allowed to visit Esther's family farm. We'd get to play in the hayloft and spend time with the animals. And at night we got to sleep in a huge feather bed. I remember being fascinated by something her grandmother had - one of those birds that dips their head up and down in water - do y'all remember those? Do they even still make them?

anyway, I think I made a point there somewhere...

IC

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere
    I agree with you on the city kids, Ladybug. This bunch is certainly doesn't represent 'average' early 20's Americans. If all the city kids on this show accidenatlly fell down an empty elevator shaft, the gene pool would only be strengthened by having them out of it. On the other hand, I would imagine that the Amish kids they picked for the show aren't exactly representative of typical Amish 20 somethings.
    I don't post much, and because of where I live I can't watch the show!! However, I find the posts really interesting, and am glad that there is constructive dialogue. As for the city kids, it sounds like they have really displayed bad manners etc., but of course they were the ones that were surprised with the way the show developed... no excuse. I agree with you "FinallyHere", regarding the Amish kids. Consider this: Which Amish kids would volunteer to go on a reality show? Would it be the timid, scared, unsure kids? From what I can read, the Amish on this show have a pretty good sense of themselves and will probably hold their own. Good for them. So...a strong, self assured, group of Amish were placed with.......who?

Hopefully I will get this show at a later date, but will keep reading, and hope to see that city group develops and learns tolerance over the course of the show. Thanks everyone for the interesting discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina

I thought that just about all of the Amish kids were already entrenched in their rumspringa? That they had been in rumspringa for a few years already.
    Yeah, Miriam mentioned that she spent 18 years in the Amish community but wasn't she already at least 20 while on the show? I think the only one who seemed to arrive straight from the farm was Mose.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulahbaby
    I was a bit confused...Ruth had distinct highlights in her hair that were grown out. In the beginning when they showed Ruth with her boyfriend she was wearing Nike socks with Nike Tennis shoes. hmmm

Obviously all of the Amish kids had substantial contact with the "outside world"
    before coming on this show. After all, the producers had to find them somehow,
    and I'm sure it wasn't by knocking on doors at random Amish homes and asking
    women whether their kids could appear on a TV show! It is true that, although
    many Amish live with their parents during their teenage years, they also often
    take jobs in the outside community. Also, bear in mind that the Amish don't
    live (with those famous cows!) on another planet. If nothing else, cars do go
    by their homes and they have to go to the store occasionally.....

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug
    I was totally offended after watching Amish in the City last night. Not by the way the Amish kids were exploited but by the way the "city kids" behaved! They give us city kids (I think the Amish call non-Amish people "English"?) a really bad rap.

It was ironic to see people who probably all have had to deal with close-minded people (Reese because he's gay, Whitney because she's black, Ariel because she's vegan, Nick because he's from Boston, the red-headed cousin of NYC, Kevan because he's half Persian, and the other girl who's name I forgot because people tend to think blondes are all dumb?) be so quick to judge others just because they were different. I couldn't believe they stood there on the other side of the front door, just laughing and saying "oh my god, no way". How rude.
    I just wanted to agree with ladybug that the city kids were casted since they seem to be the ones who may have had to deal with close-minded people, and therefore be willing to accept others despite the fact they are different. It was rude and ironic the way they "welcomed" their new roommates, but they did not know what to expect or how to handle it. Later in that same show, the producers made the city kids dress up in Amish clothes and go out in public. That was a lesson in showing how rude they were in the beginning because now the city kids were being stared at. This is still early in the show and I believe both sides will learn to adapt to each other.

The element we are missing here is that because they are different (the vegan, the gay guy, the amish kid, etc.) they are already defensive and will use their "crutch" as an excuse to lash out. If two regular kids, one who is anally neat versus an outright slob (taking the amish aspect out) lived together, there would have been an argument waiting to happen anyway. I just wish that more people would be like Jonas and bring it up to the others rather than Miriam who just cries about it without explaining how things actually affected them. It seems that the Amish kids want to be accepted but are not willing to accept the city kids for who/how they are (though I'm not condoning the city kids actions).

Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing
    Yeah, Miriam mentioned that she spent 18 years in the Amish community but wasn't she already at least 20 while on the show? I think the only one who seemed to arrive straight from the farm was Mose.
    I missed the first 40 minutes of the show, so your comment above explains the Miriam smoking issue. I was thinking she must have lit her first cigarette within the first 15 minutes of walking into the house. But if she's been out for a while, that explains it.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast