+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 7/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Regular
    here's my two cents! i can't stand reese. how superficial can one person get? i'm not exactly digging randy. ok, i understand that you've come accustomed to having things picked up for you, but what about the other amish fellas? they seem to clean up after themselves.

personally, i love running my fingers through a man's chest hair. if you're over the age of 17 and are not an olympic swimmer, then you should look like a man. viva la chest hair!

and yes, i think miriam is quite pretty. i'm a miriam myself--there are so few of us!--she's my favorite character!

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantham Gum
    When Mose was telling the Boston loudmouth about his puzzles and inventions and asking if he was interested in those kinds of things and he got an incredulous "not really" response, and the disappointed Mose just replied "oh, well because I brought a lot of those.." it kind of broke my heart. I was really worried this creative and sensitive square peg would be the butt of much derision and sniggering from the tragically hip airheads of the house for his interests that are quaint and introverted. I was glad to see him taking their patronizing humor at his expense with good will but I think they are laughing at him and not with him. The insensitive mocking after his near-drowning didn't help me feel any better.

I also have a problem with all these shows that have the twentysomething males always trying to change the one guy in the house who has not been Queer-Eyed yet and the need they have to get rid of his chest hair or leg hair or both. Here is some news for you "city" men: REAL MEN have hair on lots of their body and are not ashamed of it and they don't care about fashion or how out of style they look, so all you club-hopping, style-conscious metrosexuals stop trying to turn the rest of us into women because if you ask females in this society, I bet most would love the option to stop all that extra shaving and worrying about what to wear and can't imagine why men would want to inflict all that extra work on themselves that they have been able to avoid all these years.

I couldn't help but feel greatly disappointed with the way the "city kids" treated the Amish from the moment they arrived at the door. The only part I felt good about was when they traded places and had to walk in their shoes.
    I wish they had picked six mature adults instead of these immature idiots that are having laughs at the Amish guests expense. If the second episode is anything at all like this, I'm not watching because I don't call that entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjjj
    The Amish could never afford braces, whether they wanted them or not.
    You would be shocked if you knew what an Amish family was really worth. Most have money stocked away and can afford more than the average.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by Grok
    The producers know they had to cast folks who were likely to create drama. I cringed at their insensitive comments, but let's face it, the show wouldn't be as interesting if the city kids were sensitive, accepting, evolved individuals who sat around the fireplace, roasting marshmellows, and singing kum-baya with the Amish.
    Excellent point. As much as it bothers me to see the insensitivity of the city kids, what you say is so true.

Quote Originally Posted by Xantham Gum
    REAL MEN have hair on lots of their body and are not ashamed of it and they don't care about fashion or how out of style they look, so all you club-hopping, style-conscious metrosexuals stop trying to turn the rest of us into women because if you ask females in this society, I bet most would love the option to stop all that extra shaving and worrying about what to wear and can't imagine why men would want to inflict all that extra work on themselves that they have been able to avoid all these years.
    I've got to admit, I just don't see the male hairless body as being attractive. I don't like hairy apes, either, but arm hair, leg hair, fine by me. Chest hair -- yummy!
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

After seeing the first episode I wasn't aware that the amish were allowed to date (court maybe, but not date and make out with ugly a$$ amish girls). I was also surprised with the amount of cursing that the amish kids did. Maybe they thought it would make them fit in better. I like mose and ruth, they seem the most real amish. I do find it strange that both the amish girls had perfect tans with which to wear bikinis with. The amish guy's lack of picking up after themselfs would annoy me too.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by captain
    You would be shocked if you knew what an Amish family was really worth. Most have money stocked away and can afford more than the average.

Well, it's certainly true that they have a lot of money tied up in land -- the high cost of land is what is driving them out of the Lancaster, PA, area -- horses, livestock, etc. But when you
    consider that they have to pay property taxes, don't have insurance of any kind, don't
    receive social security, have to outfit their sons to start their own farms, etc., I somehow think any earnings from cash crops are already earmarked for something more necessary than improving the looks of their teeth.

CEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjjj
    The Amish could never afford braces, whether they wanted them or not.
    Many Amish communities have great deposits of real and disposable wealth. They sell their goods at market prices, but do not have the overhead, 'comfort' utilty payments, nor tax burdens that many of us devote a good protion of our income to. Amish communities are also very heavily invested in real estate and many amish families are HUGE landowners. There is more money in the Amish culture than their outward appearance would seem to indicate.

We poor Canuks just got to see this program last night. I wasn't going to start watching it (got in part-way thru) but I found myself really enjoying it.

I thought the Amish kids settled in quite easily to modern life. I was impressed with their maturity and their willingness to explore a new lifestyle and new ideas. I am also liking that Mose kid very much, but I think he's wasted as a construction worker on a farm - he's obviously very creative and bright and I would hope he would take an opportunity of higher education if offered.

I'm a little dismayed by that Ariel individual...possibly she should consider upping her vitamin supplements...cows from outer space? Lincoln dead from a non-vegan lifestyle? Oh, my....
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Lincoln dead from a non-vegan lifestyle? Oh, my....
    Perhaps Wilkes Booth ate too much meat and all that slaughter and animal blood is what really drove him to kill Lincoln.

John After the first 15 minutes or so, I was thinking that this show was going to be awful. I hung in for a while longer though and the "city" kids did calm down a little and act nicer. It was interesting to see the Amish kids reacting to modern conviences. Miriam thinking the parking meter was cool was pretty funny.

I also thought it to be rather strange that Miriam and Ruth had great tans...

I guess the main irony of the show is most of the city kids have to deal with being unfairly stereotyped and judged for who they are... eg. Reese for being gay, Ariel for being vegan, and others have to deal with racism. And yet they are unwilling to accept the amish kids for who they are and right away went about trying to change them.

I think the reason for this is in our society the media has shown minorities such as gays, vegans and such to be "stylish", and "cool". Just look to sit-coms and you'll see what I mean. "Will and Grace" comes to mind as well as "Friends" (Phoebe is vegan). And that's great! But no where in the media do we see strictly religious people as cool. And yet, they can be. Miriam is tough, beautiful and smart. Mose is open, creative and dedicated to his faith. These people are really, really neat.

I guess that's why I like this show. I'm really hoping that this show will help open people's minds towards people who are different from them and not just become a low-brow show which attempts to turn the Amish people into cool city kids.

And I thought it was interesting example of close mindedness that Ruth and Miriam were laughing so hard at Ariel's belief that cows come from outer space. Yeah, o.k, that idea is really out there... but she really believes in it, but there are a lot of people who would think that the Amish beliefs are out there too.

Those are excellent points, Touque. The Amish may deprive themselves of a lot of *modern* conveniences, but they appear to have an impressive, well-grounded ideology (interpretation of the Bible aside, IMO). It certainly makes you think about the nature vs. nurture theory of raising children, when you see the Amish kids' maturity and manners (crumbs left on the counter aside ).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread