+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 7/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I think this Reese guy has a LOT of issues other than his rudeness. I think he is the type of guy that needs to be the center of attention and with the Amish twist he is definately not. I was floored at his third grade "hit a boy because I like him" actions, I'm actually surprised that the powers that be did not kick Kevan and Reese out after that fight.

Nick is the most ignorant person I've ever seen on reality TV (minus Scott from BB5). All I could keep thinking when watching the Amish try to blend was how UNFUNNY they would all think this was if it were five Asian/Australian/African people coming to America for the first time. Don't you think they would have been more welcoming?

But to give them a little slack, I think if I were on a reality TV show and five people dressed in the pilgrim garb were at my doorstep, I would assume it was some sort of practical joke by the producers until they mentioned why they were there.

Anyway, I kind of like this show, I also watched the documentary on a while ago (60 minutes??) on rumspringa and found it all so fascinating. I'd much rather watch just the Amish exploring, it seems they have enough drama between themselves anyway.
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

It is too bad we all did not get to see the show at the same time. Reading the posts from later it seems most have the same comments/problems with the different people.
    There's no place like home!

Well, I gave this the ol' college try this afternoon from TiVo. I made it to the second commercial break, and used the opportunity to shut it off and put an end to the "Nick Is A Moron Show".

I guess I won't be watching. I can't stand him.

Hey Nick, I just want to say, when I make fun of morons, don't take it personally, okay, because I'm not talking about YOU specifically, I'm just generally bitching about morons.

Oh wait, I am talking about you specifically. Never mind.

Awww, John...you missed the cows from outer space segment.

I watched the series premiere (minus the first 20 minutes) last night just out of curiosity and I was pleasantly surprised. It was nice to see how appreciative and maybe even awed the Amish were of their "first time" experiences on the rooftop, at the art gallery, at the beach, etc. Hopefully, these "first times" don't degenerate into TV sleaze like first one-night stand, first drunken brawl, first night in jail, etc. The casting directors really chose some extreme personalities for the "city dweller" contingent. The only ones I didn't like were Nick (loud and annoying), Reese (too bitchy, should keep his shirt on at all times) and Randy, the really quiet Amish guy whose voice was an unnervingly strange combo of Michael Jackson and Mike Tyson (maybe that's why he's the quietest?). Just going on what I saw last night, out of the 5 Amish people, I think the 2 who are most likely to leave their Amish communities permanently (if any choose to leave, that is) are Randy (something about him seems a bit off/scary and I think he's hiding a big secret) and Jonas (he seems like an extremely frustrated person and perhaps the most likely to be bitten by the materialism bug). Mose and Miriam seem to have a very strong sense of self and of their roots and Ruth already seems to be growing disillusioned with the ways of the city people, so those 3 I can envision returning to their communities. Of course, I'm no psych expert so my observations could be way off.

And what's up with all the unusual voices (and I'm not talking about the accents)? Ariel sounds drugged, Whitney sounds a bit cartooney/sitcomish, Kevan sounds androgynous (think Janet Reno or Mary Carillo) and Randy just sounds so incongruous with his physical appearance.

It's a fascinating show, however, and I'll keep watching for at least a few more episodes.

FORT Newbie
    amish is airing again on friday at 8 so you can see the first 20 min you missed

FORT Newbie

strictness varys

There is a range to the amish. You cannot generalize when talking about the amish, because each community is a separate entity. The bishops of that community decide what is appropriate for each community. The bishops of different communities do meet though and hold conferances.

In regards to this comment:

yes, when you leave the community, you lose your whole family ... your whole history. i used to hang out with a band that played at the local bars and one of the guitar players' wife grew up amish. she left and has never seen or spoken to her family since. they consider her dead.

Usually shuning only occurs if the community member is baptized(which happens around 20) at this time you make a commitment to abide by the community rules. If you repent in front of the church, then usually you will be brought back into the fold...

FORT Newbie

Actually Trilingual

Amish are actually trilingual. At home they speak German, a dialect sometimes called Pennsylvania Dutch. During their services, it is high German, a formal language. The third language is English, which most learn in school.

Church services are held in people's houses on a rotational basis. I agree with the poster who said that they are Beachy, because the Beachy Amish broke away from the stricter Old Order. They have meeting houses, churches. Mennonites also have churches.

FORT Newbie
    "Amish are actually trilingual. At home they speak German, a dialect sometimes called Pennsylvania Dutch. During their services, it is high German, a formal language. The third language is English, which most learn in school."

I have actually been to an Amish church service and can say that what I heard was
    definitely not high German, except maybe in the bible passages. Of course, this was
    just one congregation (in PA).

Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing
    Hopefully, these "first times" don't degenerate into TV sleaze like first one-night stand, first drunken brawl, first night in jail, etc. Randy, the really quiet Amish guy whose voice was an unnervingly strange combo of Michael Jackson and Mike Tyson (maybe that's why he's the quietest?).

And what's up with all the unusual voices (and I'm not talking about the accents)? Ariel sounds drugged, Whitney sounds a bit cartooney/sitcomish, Kevan sounds androgynous (think Janet Reno or Mary Carillo) and Randy just sounds so incongruous with his physical appearance. .
    Very good observations. I had a physical reaction to Randy's voice the first time I heard it. Your description of it was right on. He certainly appears to be a brooding sort.

It's going to be great to watch Mose and Ruth, in particular, explore this brave, new world.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread