+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 7/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Frostelized
    LOL They should pick me for that. I would positively die.
    As would I.

I agree with everyone who has said that every Amish community is different. I live in Indiana, and we are near a couple of Amish communities. The Amish are not clannish and are not in any way snobbish or anything like that. My in-laws decided to begin a horse farm (which is over 200 acres and would probably be called a ranch in the Western states) and when any of our racehorses are retired we sell them to the Amish, regardless of the loss on the sale price, because we know that the Amish will treasure them and take care of them. The Amish have also built a couple of our barns, and the horse barn is beautiful--I wouldn't mind living in there! Anyway, the Amish in the communities near us do accept rides in cars for emergency trips to the doctor, etc., and they do have a type of cell phone for emergencies, although they don't have phones in their homes. So to paint all Amish with one brush is a mistake, just as it is a mistake to think that all Christians are the same, or all people who are Jewish are the same.
    We enjoyed watching this, although the ignorance of some of the city kids was excruciating to watch. I felt sorry for them because I think when they watch this show they will feel bad about their initial reaction to the Amish people. The thing is, I think most midwesterners are very understanding of the Amish, and we don't think anything of it if an Amish person is dressed differently; it is their culture and we are accustomed to the Amish as neighbors. But this show threw them into California with people from California and Boston, and I suppose they haven't got any concept of what the Amish are truly about. I had to laugh when they thought the pictures and hats in the house were just "retro."
    Being Amish isn't really about what appliances or dolls or mirrors you are allowed to have in your house--it is about community and religion. When the guy from Boston told Jonas that when they make fun of the Amish it isn't personal at all, I was amazed at how ignorant that comment was! It is making fun of what Jonas is, making fun of his very state of being, and yet it isn't supposed to be personal? If someone had made a comment about Boston, or about their ball team, that guy would be all over them like white on rice, but yet he can't see that making fun of someone's entire religion and culture is personal??
    And yes, to echo what another poster said, German is the first language of the Amish, which is why their Bibles are written in German. And they understand exactly what they are reading. I think it's great that the Amish are bilingual, and of course none of the people in the house ever think that they are speaking English for their benefit instead of the language they would probably speak if they were in their Amish community.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    I'd have to agree with the other posters about how annoying the city people have been to the Amish. I think they were down right rude. I know how they must have felt, but there is no excuse for being rude. My cousin married a man from a not quite Amish community. At the wedding her family was dressed to the nines and his were plain, with the wide brim hats, beards and suspenders for the men and dark colors and white bonnets for the women. They were different, but we didn't laugh at them or make fun of them.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I was surprised by a lot of the details--the mirror, the doll, the meeting house. Are these guys Beachy?

FORT Newbie

Rude City People

I would agree in that the city folk were extremely rude and still are. if this is the first time for the amish to experience a city they should be trying to make it the best that it could be. I hope the amish on that show do not think that all city people are as RUDE as that.

FORT Fogey
    I stayed up to watch this, so I'll post a few quick thoughts before I go to bed.
    1) I agree with everyone else--the city kids were extremely rude!
    2) I am not liking Nick at all.
    3) How sweet is Mose?! I felt so bad for him and the drowning incident--especially when they were making fun of him.
    4) Cows from outer space, well, nothing more needs to be said here. :rolleyes
    5) I loved how emotional Ruth got at the ocean. I've lived in Florida all my life, and the beauty of the ocean still awes me sometimes.

It seems to me the Amish kids have a much better attitude than the city kids at this point. I thought the show was pretty interesting overall.

When the guy from Boston told Jonas that when they make fun of the Amish it isn't personal at all, I was amazed at how ignorant that comment was! It is making fun of what Jonas is, making fun of his very state of being, and yet it isn't supposed to be personal? If someone had made a comment about Boston, or about their ball team, that guy would be all over them like white on rice, but yet he can't see that making fun of someone's entire religion and culture is personal??
    To me the guy from Boston made it seem like he thought the Amish were stupid by saying it wasn't personal. Sooner or later (which is going to be sooner with those previews for next week) the Amish are going to stick up and start yelling at the city folk.

My mom pointed out that the setting when the Amish were talking, could have been a studio set up. It might not have been in their own house. That or it just depends on the community, some are stricter than others.

You know what else I've been thinking...the city folk have seen reality tv before and know what the cameras want. They want the spotlight. But the Amish never seen reality tv and don't want to cause controversy.
    The city folk are really sterotypes...they should but some normal city folk. I know if I was Amish I'd hide from those people
    I do agree though, that this show is interesting if you ignore the rudeness of the city folk. Well time to go to bed....I got school tomorrow

Meg
    Visit my site at: http://edrivehome.cjb.net

What a fun show!

I was working on a deadline and totally stopped what I was doing to watch this show. There are so many things I like about this show and so far it looks like it's well done and sensitive to the Amish kids. I kind of wished I had taped it, but thankfully we have that Friday night "encore". Weeeee!

Do you think they intentionally sent that first "tube" letter to the most prejudiced (from first impressions) city kid so he'd get stuck in the small room with Amish kids?

And was it just me, or did anyone else notice that they mentioned the "secret romance" in one of the "coming up next" teasers about half way into the show and then didn't mention it until previewing next weeks show?

FORT Newbie

City Kids got to go....they are dull and dumb

undefined The "city kids" think that it is all about them...NOT.... like the title says "Amish in the City"

There is no reason for the "city kids" to act the way they do. This is all new to them (the Amish Kids), I know this is new to all of the "new kids" as well, big home somewhat nice things.... but for the Amish to never seeing a beach or a dishwasher...not the same. I like watching it be cause the "Amish kids", they make it much more interesting and bring a pure depth to what would otherwise be a dull show. It could have done well just as "Amish in the City" without the "City Kids". They still hold strong to their beliefs and values and stand up for themselves at the same time. More power to this show, I hope it makes it.... Maybe next season will be without the City kids cutting them down instead of helping them see the wonders they have never seen. I think the "City kids" feel and know that the Amish are more interesting than they are.

As for them being exploited.... Not at all they all seem very smart and understand that this is the way things are done in their life...to go out and explore and possibly return when the want. The “City kids” might have been exploited somewhat, they are not as smart. Remember cows come from space. I’m out….got to get some chocolate space milk.

the city kids are rude! where do they find those types of people? They're almost "Scott" and "Jase" -like! ugh!

+ Reply to Thread