+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blackout In Amish Country

Blackout In Amish Country

NYPOST:

July 28, 2004 --

THE UPN affiliate in Harris burg, Pa., which covers three of the top nine Amish markets in the U.S., won't be showing UPN's reality show "Amish in the City."

The station's GM, Matt Uhl, says he won't air tonight's premiere, but will tape it and screen it tomorrow for educators, press and ad agencies.

"Everyone at the screening will have a say, but ultimately it will be my decision whether or not we should air 'Amish,' " Uhl told Media Life.

"If I deem it appropriate, we'll air the first episode on Friday and the other episodes in their regular timeslot."

In "Amish in the City," five Amish young adults move into a glitzy Hollywood Hills home with six "city" dwellers during "rumpsringa" an Amish rite-of-passage in which Amish youths live outside of their culture to see if they want to continue living the Amish lifestyle. Post TV Staff
    http://nypost.com/entertainment/25668.htm

Um, I thought the Amish didn't have televisions.....

They don't, but there are many other Pennsylvanians who are neighbors who have been offended by the premise of the show, thus the sensitivity about airing a show that showcases a period of the Amish life that generally is relegated to acting out in Ephrata or whatever. I don't think too many PA Amish do their rumspringa in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    "Oh my! I might be offended by a TV show that I'm not going to watch." Uhm, those Pennsylvanians who would be offended by this could always exercise their right not to watch. This is just ridiculous reasoning. Sheesh!
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Not over yet.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom
    "Oh my! I might be offended by a TV show that I'm not going to watch." Uhm, those Pennsylvanians who would be offended by this could always exercise their right not to watch. This is just ridiculous reasoning. Sheesh!
    as a pennsylvanian 80 miles from harrisburg, i wanted to say that the UPN folks did not speak for me. I am a firm believer in changing the channel.

+ Reply to Thread