+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Randy

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by margel
    It was painful to watch everyone confront Randy about his quietness. This was probably the worst approach they could have taken to get him to open up. If you sincerely want to communicate with someone as shy and quiet as Randy, please don't point out how quiet and shy they are. Believe me, they already know way better than anyone else.

No doubt Mose has no trouble communicating with Randy. His patient and low key approach is the only way to help the shy person get comfortable enough to start talking.
    While I was watching this, I was wondering if the producers had prompted them all to do this, because it just seemed weird the way they suddenly ganged up on him about it.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

FORT Newbie
    I really started feeling for him after the first or second episode. He is I believe deeper than given credit for. He's shy and people treat it like a sin. As for the situation with Miriam we really don't know what really went on. When you're young breaking up isn't always easy or right. You do things you wish you hadn't. I am giving him the benifit of the doubt. As for his teeth I don't think they will ruin his chances but if the producers want to give him veneers or something that would be awesome. He deserves that bit of a boost. I wonder how it would affect his confidence. That and giving Mose lasic eye surgery. Jonas gets his GED so why not something for everyone? That would really be a citified thing to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Carin
    He's shy and people treat it like a sin.
    That struck me, too. Perhaps because people interpret Randy's silence as a rejection of sorts?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by candor
    That struck me, too. Perhaps because people interpret Randy's silence as a rejection of sorts?
    I think that's it. The city kids mentioned how rude they thought it was that he was giving them the "silent treatment." He's doubtless more outgoing with the Amish kids because of the culture that they have in common.

Quote Originally Posted by touque
    Another pic of Randy. No denying he is nice to look at. Those eyes!
    Holy moley -- them's some blue eyes!! I didn't like Randy at first but after the "Arrested Development" concert they went to I thought it was sweet when he said he was going to keep his backstage pass forever. In the commercial for this weeks episode they're hinting that there will be some "romance" going on and I'm pretty sure the voiceover is Randy. Maybe Randy and Ariel getting together??

FORT Reader

Randy in Florida

Here is an article about Randy from the Sarasota, FL Herald Tribune.

It's interesting that he has been in FL for 3 years and in rumspringa for 8 years!

2Kitties

'AMISH IN THE CITY'

By MIKE SAEWITZ

SARASOTA -- TV producers putting together a reality show about the Amish searched Sarasota's bowling alleys early this year for likely contestants.

They found 24-year-old construction worker Randy Stoll, who told them he was "right away ready" to do it -- as long as they paid his bills while he was in Los Angeles filming the show.

"I think a person can never try too many new experiences, as long as they're good experiences," Stoll said Tuesday night, on the eve of his TV debut.

"Amish in the City" premieres tonight at 8 p.m. on the UPN network, and it's already creating a nervous buzz in the city's Mennonite and Amish community of about 3,000 people, one of the largest in the South.

"Our people don't like to be in the limelight," said Adin Miller, a bishop at Pinecraft Amish Church in Sarasota. "This is putting us too much in the limelight. We don't use televisions, so we wouldn't be seeing it. I really don't have any desire to see it."

Nationally, lawmakers and representatives of the Amish protested the show months before taping began in May, arguing that it would ridicule them and distort one of the most easily misunderstood parts of their culture: rumspringa, a journey of discovery for Amish youth.

Miller said that rumspringa is about young people possibly getting together for Sunday night singing, or experiencing their first courtship.

According to its Web Site, the show hopes to capture "the intensely personal Amish coming-of-age experience" by putting five young Amish people in a beautiful Hollywood Hills home with six youths from big cities.

The show will also feature "Miriam," a young woman who lived for a year in Sarasota. Producers would not release her last name on Tuesday.

Stoll will attend a Sarasota party tonight to celebrate a show he hopes will counter the suspicions of Amish people who worry they'll be misrepresented.

"I think people will change their minds when they see the show," he said. "I think they'll see we do a lot of good stuff on the show, and that they didn't do the show to bash the Amish and run them down."

"Amish in the City" is a collaboration. The executive producer of the popular reality shows "Big Brother" and "The Amazing Race" got help from two documentary filmmakers whose feature about Amish teenagers was nominated for three Emmy Awards in 2003.

"Of course I'm concerned of people having a negative reaction to the show," said an executive producer, Daniel Laikind, in a recent question and answer. "We want everyone to like it. We certainly went in with an attitude of this was about the individual people and the individual journeys they were going on."

Stoll says his rumspringa has lasted for eight years. He said he's not hurrying to join the Amish culture as an adult.

His biography on the UPN Web site says he was raised on an Indiana corn farm without electricity. He studied in a two-room school and, as a boy, customized his horse-drawn buggy with a stereo and lights.

He moved to Sarasota three years ago.

"I didn't really experience a lot of stuff here in Sarasota because there's not really a lot here," he said.

So the prospect of moving to Los Angeles was exciting, though he said he's not allowed to discuss much of what happened on the show. He lived in Los Angeles from May until July, taping enough for 10 episodes.

When he returned to Sarasota, friends like Lindsey Osburn of Bradenton bombarded him with questions.

"I just asked him on and on and on, 'Who hooked up with who?'" said Osburn, 23.

She said the closest she'd been before to a reality television star was when one of her friends dated a star from "The Bachelor."

"Amish in the City" has been a topic of discussion at Troyer's Dutch Heritage restaurant and Yoder's Restaurant, both on Bahia Vista Street in Sarasota's Amish and Mennonite neighborhood.

Janice Gillogly, head server at Dutch Heritage, is worried that the show will be inaccurate, not showing the true nature of a ritual that's meant to allow Amish youths to explore different cultures.

But she'll still be watching.

"I don't feel like I'll be upset or disappointed by it," she said. "I just think it's disrespectful to the Amish."

Stoll said he didn't feel disrespected at all.

"I think the whole purpose of this is to show the world that Amish people are kind of normal people," he said. "They're not so much different than anyone else."

Thanks for that article! Amish in Florida -- I had no idea. Funny he says he isn't in a hurry to join the Amish community but even though he is away from his family home he still moves to a place with an Amish population Straying but not too far.

Quote Originally Posted by ShandiRocks
    His VOICE KILLS me!!
    Randy's voice is way better than Reese's. Reese makes me sick every time he opens his mouth.

FORT Newbie
    My favorite quote from this show so far was Randy telling Megan, "get your b***h a** outta here!"

Randy was great last night. I was yelling "Go, boy! Let her have it!" (hubby now thinks I'm nuts). I would rather have Randy read the phonebook cover to cover then listen to Whitney whine one word. Talk about obnoxious voices!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast