+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amish Get's Good Reviews

Amish Get's Good Reviews

NYPOST:

July 27, 2004 -- What's next? "Sikhs and the City"?
    At the risk of igniting a craze for copycat reality shows focusing on people who dress differently than the rest of us (working title: "The Joy of Sects"), I have to admit that UPN's "Amish in the City" is not nearly as bad as its preposterous (and potentially mean) premise makes it sound.

And even though it's the Amish participants who are being set up here for ridicule (or so it would seem), their six mainstream housemates fare far worse.

They are ugly, awful, self-centered people who are unspeakably rude when they first meet the five young Amish (three men and two women) who have shown up at their door to live with them in a garish modern mansion in the Hollywood Hills.

The so-called "normals" literally laugh in the faces of the innocent new arrivals and openly declare their disappointment at the prospect of spending two months with people who seem so exotic.

That, of course, sets up the premise of "Amish in the City," which is to see what happens when a bunch of narrow-minded, shiftless, materialistic ignoramuses are brought together under one roof with people who live a life characterized by deep faith and strong tradition.

The Amish kids have come to L.A. to experience the non-Amish life and to see if they want to commit to the strictures of the Amish lifestyle for the rest of their lives. It's a period of personal growth and reappraisal known in the Amish culture as rumspringa.

What saves the show are the Amish. For the most part, they're a delightful and surprisingly outgoing group (except maybe for Jonas, who becomes embittered by some anti-Amish comments he hears from some of the house's other residents, and Randy, the quietest of the Amish who is scarcely heard from in the series' first two episodes, both of which will be shown back-to-back Wednesday night).

But you have to love Ruth, Miriam and Mose. Mose is a cheerful, open-minded inventor of charming homemade toys, knick-knacks and magic tricks he carves out of wood.

Miriam is a sandy-blonde fox who outshines the house's other young women when she changes from her plain Amish clothing into more recognizable southern California sportswear.

And Ruth is an Amish sweetheart who can barely sleep the night before a scheduled daytrip to the beach the first in her 20-year-old life and an experience she is hopeful will bring her "closer to God." The surf, sand and sunshine are so stunning to Ruth that she cries and you cannot help crying along with her.

You almost feel sorry for Ruth and the other Amish because they're being threatened with corruption by a bunch of total blockheads one of whom is a vegan who believes cows come from outer space.

For the Amish, who all grew up on farms and whose families depend on cows for their very survival, it's their housemates, such as the vegan Ariel, who seem like aliens.

"Amish in the City"
    Tomorrow night at 8 on UPN/Ch. 9

3/4 stars

Miriam: AFTER

http://nypost.com/entertainment/28170.htm

Here in Central PA we have not been able to view this show because the local UPN station is previewing the shows first for questionable taste. We might get it eventually. I'm not a fan of exploiting the Amish, although Lancaster county does it's fair share for tourism. I'm glad the English (non-Amish) come off as blockheads.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

While I'm sure Amish vary as much as other people (although I'm also sure these Amish were cast to type as much as the blockheads were), just on principal I think the producers who dreamed this one up deserve to be shot. What kind of view of real American life are they giving these kids under these circumstances? And this ISN"T the case we usually have with reality show participants where they usually know full well what they are getting into when they sign up. Amish don't WATCH reality TV--or any TV. How would they know what they are agreeing to?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Agreed Krom. I mean the situation they are putting them in is kind of brutal. Who wouldn't want to go back home after living with these type of people?

Maybe when the Amish kids see how bizarre these other kids are they will be making a quick return to their old life. It sounds as though the non-Amish will possibly be the ones coming off looking like the fools. I agree, Krom that the Hollywood Hills gang is not very representative of the population.

I had no interest in seeing this show because its premise sounded plain cruel, but I will check out the first episode. I really hope it's the Hollywood Hills kids that learn something from this show and develop some compassion, tolerance, and humanity.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
    Maybe when the Amish kids see how bizarre these other kids are they will be making a quick return to their old life. It sounds as though the non-Amish will possibly be the ones coming off looking like the fools. I agree, Krom that the Hollywood Hills gang is not very representative of the population.

I had no interest in seeing this show because its premise sounded plain cruel, but I will check out the first episode. I really hope it's the Hollywood Hills kids that learn something from this show and develop some compassion, tolerance, and humanity.
    Yeah, I'm curious to see how the show is handled.

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    Just from the previews I assumed the whole thing is fake. Are they really Amish? Reality TV shows are hardly reality at all, IMO.

CEO
    Quote Originally Posted by psucashcow
    Here in Central PA we have not been able to view this show because the local UPN station is previewing the shows first for questionable taste.
    Like any Amish people are going to be able to watch it!

FORT Newbie
    I love the show and think its great.These Amish kids are smart enough to realize most people dont live in modern mansions with million dollar views and this is a show not reality.I think its great for the Amish kids to have fun and see so much on there break instead of being stuck in their town.I have to admit they are so polite to this group of rude brainless city kids I would really like to see the Amish put the city kids in there place.I hope when its all over Mose and Miriam deciede to date.They would be so cute together.

I missed the entire first part of the show....came into it just as Ariel was talking about how cows come from outer space (that was hilarious!). I was very much struck by the callousness of the city kids (as has been mentioned by others already), but loved some of the interactions between Ariel and Mose and Ruth. I think Ruth is lovely, and it was very emotional seeing her reaction to the beach. I rented an apartment for many years directly across the street from the beach in Huntington where they were, and every night after work, I would walk along the shore, and every weekend would body surf and ride my bike along coast highway. That was probably one of the healthiest times in my life, in retrospect! And even with my appreciation of the beach, I still loved seeing the impact it had on Ruth.

About Mose, and his near-drowning....I went out into very rough waters once and even though I'm a native CA and have been swimming all my life, got in trouble, had quite a struggle getting back into shore, and after what seemed like forever, finally got out. I felt like throwing myself on shore, kissing the sand, and screaming "thank you, God!", but not wanting to embarrass myself, resisted. But I will never forget how grateful I felt to be on dry land again, and watching Mose last night, took me immediately back to that time. His gratefulness to Ariel was very understandable, and I was so very disappointed in the city kids' reactions to the whole situation, and the mocking of him really disturbed me. I also feel if the city kids were thrown into the Amish community, and had to do the kind of daily chores the Amish do, I think they would very quickly be reduced to tears and whining, "it's too hard"...*high, whining, screeching voices*

I love Mose and Ruth, in particular, and look forward to seeing our world from their fresh eyes.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast