+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amish Idols

Amish Idols

NYPOST:

July 21, 2004 -- FIVE people who've never even watched TV seem des tined to become television's next reality stars.
    In "Amish in the City," a new reality show debuting next week on UPN, five Amish youngsters are plucked from their rural homes and put up in a glitzy Hollywood hills mansion.

They share the mansion with six city kids in very close quarters. Then sit back and watch the fireworks as the two cultures meet.

UPN shot the series in secret announcing its existence only after taping had already ended and the Amish kids had been sent home.

On arriving at LAX airport, one Amish youngster admits that he has never been on an escalator before as he gingerly steps on. "I'm freaked out!" he exclaims.

Another city kid marvels when one of his new roommates admits she had no idea what an avacado is.

The Amish kids are going through a religious rite of passage called "rumspringa" in which Amish teens leave their homes to explore the outside world before deciding if they want to return to the Amish lifestyle.

"The Amish don't see the inherent value of being on a TV show," says Daniel Laikind, one of the show's co-producers. "For them, getting the chance to live in the big city, to make a decision in their life . . . was a big part of being on the show."

The Amish, a strict Mennonite sect that first settled in Pennsylvania in the late 17th century, reject nearly all things modern. They refuse to use electricity in their homes or gas-powered engines using horse-drawn buggies to travel.

The show was kept under tight wraps because some Amish leaders expressed concern that it might exploit their brethren.

The show has generated a lot of buzz among TV insiders who predict its unusual premise will turn the Amish kids into overnight if unlikely celebrities.

The people who are really surprised are the worldly teens, who only know they are going to be in a "Big Brother"-type show. They were not told they would be shacking up with a group of Amish youngsters.

"Absolutely not! Absolutely not!" says Nick, a 21-year-old busboy from Boston upon first seeing his new Amish housemates.

Reese, a city kid from Mississippi, is more succinct: "They are going to change [their clothes] before they go out with me in Hollywood," he says.

In one episode, the Amish kids and their real-world roommates switch clothes to see how the other half lives for a trip to a go-cart park.

In another, the Amish youngsters hit the California beaches for the first time.

Miriam, one of the Amish participants (she's 21), says she's using this experience to see if she wants to be a part of the world outside her Amish community.

"I don't want to be a part of the Amish community just yet," she says. "I want to see other things. It'll be an experience of a lifetime."

"We didn't want to bring in a bunch of people who would just be pleasant, cordial and unchallenged," said series co-producer Jon Kroll.

"There are lots of different points-of-view here and lots of interesting discussions."
    http://nypost.com/entertainment/25426.htm

Great, another show that will be on my TiVO!

This sounds really interesting. I'm so sick of some of the vacuous reality t.v. contestants on Big Brother, this may be a breath of fresh air.

hm.. that sucks. They were sent back to their home country.
    I wonder how did they hear about such a show if they don't watch TV.
    Do you think they got any money. Or the producers were cheap and thold them the prize is to experience America?

Their "home country"? WTF are you talking about? Perhaps you should read the article more closely, and discover that the Amish are a religious group in PENNSYLVANIA. I weep for the future of whatever country Seattle's in.

Dig that hat that Mose is wearing.

I suppose the Amish DO virtually live in another country. But in physical reality, it's not even JUST good old Lancaster County. One of them (Jonas) is from Iowa. Two others from Ohio (Miriam, Ruth). Another from Indiana (Randy). And the last from Wisconsin (Mose). In actually not a single one of them is even FROM Pennsylvania.

Poor poor Amish kids. Being fooled into thinking that a group of shallow Hollywood famewhoring types are representative of all of the "English". (and just to balance things out... I'll admit I've always thought that Amish label was ignorant on THEIR part, what with 90% of the rest of the country having little to no genetic tie to England, and a constantly lessening cultural tie)

You know, from the job descriptions of these kids I'm thinking some of them may be other related types of Mennonites and not Amish. Is the show pulling some bull?
    Last edited by Krom; 07-27-2004 at 11:45 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Sweet, head coverings are gonna be so in next season!

So I'm assuming these are the Amish youths? Because that one guy on the right is wearing a shirt with (gasp) BUTTONS! :nono
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    [So I'm assuming these are the Amish youths? Because that one guy on the right is wearing a shirt with (gasp) BUTTONS! :nono
    Some Amish get to use buttons but not zippers, some can't wear belts and have to use suspenders, while some don't have any restrictions of these particular restictions. From what I understand, there is a lot of difference between communities in what is considered "modern" and what isn't. We had an article in our paper lately about some Amish from Ohio who go to Florida to the beach every year, apparently if they want to travel that far their particular sect allows them to ride on a bus as it isn't efficient to drive a buggy that far. This particular group thinks it's ok to rest for a couple of weeks a year. In the pictures, though they still wore the traditional clothes on the beach, and had little beach houses with no tv. I wish I could find that article, it was very interesting. They were visiting an Amish community somewhere near Sarasota!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

It's a German sect, that was persecuted by Protestants and Catholics a like in Europe, mass is said in high German, and when the term Dutch is used, it's an anglicized version of Deutch meaning German, not Dutch. The Amish and the Hutterites, as there called in parts of Canada, are both off shoots of the Mennonite Church. There is a huge population of Mennonites, in Winnipeg, and in southern Manitoba, and also, Hutterite colonies, though I'm not exactly sure what the difference, is between the Hutterites and Amish, but maybe someone on here knows.

Wow, I'm already learning much more than I ever knew about Amish/Mennonite society. This is really fascinating.

I just hope the show approaches its subject in the same spirit of discovery, and not as some Amish sideshow. Obviously, it need not be a dry documentary, I just hope that even if it's entertainment, it will still maintain a level of respect for their culture.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast