+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amish Idols

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Wow, I'm already learning much more than I ever knew about Amish/Mennonite society. This is really fascinating.

I just hope the show approaches its subject in the same spirit of discovery, and not as some Amish sideshow. Obviously, it need not be a dry documentary, I just hope that even if it's entertainment, it will still maintain a level of respect for their culture.
    It is all very fascinating!

I could be wrong, Krom, but it is my impression that the world outside the Amish community could be called the "English" mostly because they speak English; not because they are of English ancestry. The Amish would speak German amongst themselves, and continued to do so even when there was pressure from the outside world to fit in and speak English.

FORT Regular
    I believe they speak one dialect of German (Pennsylvania Deutsch) in "normal" life, high German in church (their prayers, etc) and they learn English in school. Although they only go to school until the 8th grade...

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Wow, I'm already learning much more than I ever knew about Amish/Mennonite society. This is really fascinating.

I just hope the show approaches its subject in the same spirit of discovery, and not as some Amish sideshow. Obviously, it need not be a dry documentary, I just hope that even if it's entertainment, it will still maintain a level of respect for their culture.
    First off, Lotuslander, thank you for the education...I find this whole subject fascinating. I have an innate curiousity about people!
    ITA Snowflake. I am also hoping this doesn't get petty and smarmy, but is more along the lines of an A&E-type facet of just watching them explore and share. I thought Ruth and Mose at the beach was wonderful.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    It's a German sect, that was persecuted by Protestants and Catholics a like in Europe, mass is said in high German, and when the term Dutch is used, it's an anglicized version of Deutch meaning German, not Dutch. .
    Not mass - they are Anabaptist. They don't believe in transubstantion (the changing of the bread into the body of Christ.) Menno Simons, the founder of the Mennonites was a compatriot of Luther. (Later, Jacob Amman founded the Amish which broke away from the Mennonites.)

I sure hope that whatever these kids decisions are in regards to whether they want to leave the Amish way of life, or go into the "city" to live.. that this show has absolutely NO PART TO DO WITH IT.

Honestly.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    I sure hope that whatever these kids decisions are in regards to whether they want to leave the Amish way of life, or go into the "city" to live.. that this show has absolutely NO PART TO DO WITH IT.

Honestly.
    Amen, Maveno.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12