Thread: (Top Model) Contestant Surprised to Still Be on Show

(Top Model) Contestant Surprised to Still Be on Show

Contestant Surprised to Still Be on Show
    Sun Jun 1, 3:38 PM ET

By The Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - While other contestants lead prayer meetings or quote cartoon characters, "America's Next Top Model" contestant Elyse Sewell quotes a Nobel Prize-winning biochemist, complains of "vapid" conversations with her competitors and calls modeling irrelevant.

Sewell's brother, Everest, 18, says his sister is "the only articulate one on the show."

He says Elyse answered the casting call for UPN's latest reality television show because "she thought it would be hilarious." The joke was on her, it turns out, after she was chosen over thousands of contestants nationwide and mortified by the notoriety.

"She wants as few people as possible to know about it," Everest says.

"But I'm sure she relishes it in some way," he adds.

Sewell, a clinical researcher with degrees in Spanish and biology from the University of New Mexico who says she wants to become a physician, is competing against nine other women.

The premise: Ten gorgeous women share a New York loft, pose in bikinis and wait, weekly, to see who gets axed next by a panel of judges.

Medical school, says Sewell, "can be diverted. Being 20 years old cannot."

At least that's the answer she gave one TV judge.

FORT Fogey

Fur Elyse

Originally posted by John
    He says Elyse answered the casting call for UPN's latest reality television show because "she thought it would be hilarious." The joke was on her, it turns out, after she was chosen over thousands of contestants nationwide and mortified by the notoriety.
    If this is truly the case, which I don't believe, then why did she even go through with the process? Especially, since it's obvious that she is far superior to her fellow contestants, at least in her own mind.

"The lady doth protest too much."

I've never understood people who act like this. All it takes are two words, and you're off TV. Simple as that. If you don't say those two words, you waive your right to complain.

FORT Newbie
    Incidentally, Elyse said "deferred," not "diverted." This word was also misquoted on the UPN website.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by OoohShakeIt
    Incidentally, Elyse said "deferred," not "diverted." This word was also misquoted on the UPN website.
    That's right, Oooh.

For accurate quotes, check out the FORT recap.

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    I love Elyse. She is taking everything in stride and continues to do well. I think she has a very healthy attitude towards things and is hilarious with her comments.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.