Thread: "America's Next Top Model" Starts May 20 9:00 PM

FORT Fogey

"America's Next Top Model" Starts May 20 9:00 PM

********Tuesday May 20, 2003 9:00PM UPN*************

From the UPN website: http://www.upn.com/shows/top_model

"Created by world-renowned supermodel Tyra Banks, who executive produced the series with Ken Mok, AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL chronicles the transformation of everyday young women into potentially fierce supermodels. The participants will live together in a New York penthouse and vie for a multi-faceted Grand Prize package featuring the opportunity to receive a Revlon modeling contract and to be managed by Wilhemina Models, in addition to a guaranteed appearance in Marie Claire magazine. Cameras catch each moment as participants face weekly tests that determine who makes the cut. With mentoring by supermodel Tyra Banks and exposure to high-profile fashion industry gurus, the finalists compete in a highly accelerated modeling boot camp, a crash course that could lead to supermodel fame."

"Participants are asked to demonstrate both inner and outer beauty as they master complicated catwalks, intense physical fitness, fashion photo shoots and publicity skills, all under 24-hour-a-day surveillance of the AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL cameras."

"Banks leads the panel of AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL judges, comprising leading fashion industry experts that include former supermodel Janice Dickinson; Marie Claire fashion editor Beau Quillian and Baby Phat creative director Kimora Lee Simmons, who will conduct regular evaluations to narrow the field from week to week. In addition, a new special guest appears each week to judge in his or her area of expertise."

The Contestants:

The Judges:

From left to right: Beau Quillian, fashion editor for Marie Claire; Janice Dickinson, model in the 1970s-1980s; Tyra Banks, model/actress; Kimora Lee Simmons, CEO and creative director of Baby Phat.

And after you watch, tune in here, because Deep Dish is going to be recapping it!

As for the pics above, I feel secure knowing that if we ever suffer a silicone shortage, Janice can do her part to help the world.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by John
    As for the pics above, I feel secure knowing that if we ever suffer a silicone shortage, Janice can do her part to help the world.

I'm already feeling sketchy about Janice. She just "wrote" a book called No Lifeguard on Duty: The Accidental Life of the World's First Supermodel so I expect her to plug it every episode. In this opus, she claims to have coined the term supermodel. Add her to the list of about 30 people that have made the same claim.

JR.
    Oh boy DD, hope you have fun with this one.

but, but... I coined the term Supermodel!!!!

To be honest with you, all the participants pictured above photograph well. I could see all of them getting great exposure and breaking into the business.

I do wonder how old Elyse is though. She looks like she's a tad more.... um.... mature(?) than the others.

Can guys be supermodels? Why are there no men?

As for Janice.... they look painful. I bet her dress is taped on.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Fogey
    It was on. It was watched. It was digested (barely).

Recap is on it's way! :cool:

I don't have UPN
    I don't want the ocean in my seashell. I just want a boyfriend with a brain cell. Stretch Princess

I can't believe they put Robin in the Plus Size model category. I saw the photo shoot and she looked FABULOUS! I just don't get it! She looks like a size 6! Is looking like a size 0 1/2 like Elyse supposed to be beauty? She has a cut face but a toothpick body! I'll bet she's really anorexic

Ebony is so incrediably striking. She has model written all over her.

Tyra is right about Kesse. She looks as if she could be her little sister! Very gorgeous.

Tessa looks and sounds like she's high on something. No expression on her face whatsoever. Maybe she's had LOTS of botox injections and it's affecting the way she talks.

Shannon and Nicole are beautiful. I wouldn't be surprised if either one of them wins. But isn't the model industry just about finding that certain "look of the moment"? Whatever the new fad in appearance is now will win the game?

I'd say either Kesse or Nicole. I would say Elyse but I don't think the waif look is In at the moment.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

sizes are weird though. If I buy clothes at a cheap place I am 3 sizes bigger than if I buy them at a more expensive shop. I bet if I went to some boutiques on Rodeo Drive I'd be pretty small
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg