It has been ten seasons of ANTM and this show definitely had its share of campy, cheap fashion shows but there were a few that were actually decent.
Rank which cycles had the best to the worst please.
For me, from best to worst:
1. Cycle Two - It was a REAL fashion show in Milan with a pretty well-known and upscale designer.
2. Cycle One - Again, it was a real fashion show during NY Fashion Week, which is pretty cool.
3. Cycle Four - It was by far the most exciting fashion show ANTM had with its water-theme. The clothes were bad either, none of the campy stuff we would see in later cycles.
4. Cycle Six - The background of the runway was simply beautiful. The show itself was a bit dry and the clothes looked cheap.
5. Cycle Ten - This was a huge improvement over the crap that ANTM pulled in its few previous cycle. The fact that they wore Versace was pretty cool but it just didn't seem legitimate to me AT ALL. It didn't seem to be a Versace show. It seemed to be a show where the models just happened to wear Versace. I'd hardly believe that Donetella would actually let Tyra do her little walk in her real shows or let someone of Whitney's size walk. Overall, none of the models walked there seemed to belong in a real Versace show. They seemed a few sizes too big, including Anya.
6. Cycle Three - It was a pretty boring show since the models walked so damn slow. The clothes looked decent but the staging looked cheap. The best part for me was when Janice was yelling "Yaya, faster!" and Tyra gave her a look.
7. Cycle Five - Again, it was overally a pretty cheap looking show and pretty lackluster. Nicole did look like a real model though.
8. Cycle Eight - Oh gosh, the concept was so campy. Let's have the girls walk like bafoons...that'll be entertaining. They looked like idiots in the first walk as if they had sticks up their butts. The staging looked pretty cheap as well.
9. Cycle Seven - WTF. First of all, the clothes were all the same. But that's nothing compared to the stupid setup they had going on. The girls portrayed bipolar guerilla wives and Jay was apparently their transexual leader. The audience was composed of 10 lost tourists. It was a hot tranny mess.
10. Cycle Nine - What a crappy way to end a crappy cycle. It in a way, prepared us for the tragedy that was about to happen 10 minutes later in our screens when [mod edit] is crowned the winner. Tyra, walking in as some sort of dragqueen empress was hysterical. She takes herself so silly, it's funny. There wasn't even an audience other than the stilt walkers and performers.
So I personally think the runway quality generally decreased as ANTM got into its later cycles. Some may find the campy style amusing, but it just reminds others of how illegitimate of a modelling competition ANTM really is.