Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ANTM Weight and Body Issues Thread

Re: ANTM Weight and Body Issues Thread

I'm not so sure about Elyse, but Shandi fainted during the makeup challenge. She was shoved into some hot lights and acknowledged afterwards that she hadn't been eating properly.

Also in C6 casting, Andrea (who has lately been seen in the "Contestants who didn't make the cut"-thread) was also suspected of having an eating disorder, one of the reason she wasn't chosen (that and all of her crying)

Skinny can be perfect, but curves can be perfect, too.

I've been constantly made fun of because of my weight(I'm on lovely medication that makes loosing it tough), and while I don't think people should automatically be accused of being anorexic, when they are skinny and it should be not put down. I think, because of womans body issues, today in America we need to change our aim. Women are constantly judging one another on weight, I think we need to understand what's healthy and whats not, and quit the name calling. Lets quit using the "F" word, and accusing each other of eating disorders we may or may not have. Preteen girls need guidance and insulting each other isn't going to help. Marilyn Monroe and Whitney Thompson are/were around the same size. The only reason I point this out is because we have two different drastic views on beauty(by the media). Photographing is a bit different from her era too, from what I understand. We need to be comfortable within our own skin.

FORT Fogey

"Skinny is perfect" is basically the motto for anorexia nervosa. This is a diagnosable psychological disorder (just as major depression and schizophrenia are). I think that it is a shame that anyone would would aim for underweight, which is unhealthy. Most eating disorders start out as dieting! I think Whitney is right in saying that a healthy body type should be the ideal!

FORT Newbie

To be honest... I have very low self esteem and poor self body image, though no one else sees what I do. This is very much down to the media. Promoting that very skinny is perfection.

IMO, it's hard to have a debate about being skinny or being plus size, because everyone is different. Some people look better with a bit of meat on them, some do not. A while back, I got very interested in eating disorders, and was suffering from what the doctor calls "moderate depression" and that was when I really hated the way I looked.
    I don't want any other girls my size (12-14) to feel like that, because it's the worst feeling you can get. And yes, ANTM is rigged and has passed it's glory days, but I think having a plus-sized model win, was what it need. However much I loved Anya and couldn't stand Whitney, it was great to see and made me feel so much better. It's nice to know that in a world of ideals, some can break the mould. Although, I don't foresee Whitney going very far...

Agh, i'm just rambling.

Just be eat healthy and stay fit, and if you are thin or big, as long as you are healthy it does not matter...
    We Will Always Love You Anya!
    You Are Our High Fashion Top Model Forever!

In a yahoo interview with Diana, she said that Jaslene was constantly eating Twinkies and stuff like that or else she would lose too much weight. So she wasn't anorexic.
    Cycle 10 Photos of the Week:
    Homeless: Kimberly; Makeover: Lauren; Lingerie: Anya; Meat: Lauren; Paint: Katarzyna; Music: Katarzyna; Water: Anya; Airplane: Lauren; Commercial: Katarzyna; Castle: Anya; Celebrity: Anya; Covergirl: Whitney

I think i read somewhere that Jaslene has a disorder where she can't assorb nutrients properly. She has gained some weight and looks great, but it still bothers me that people say she looks disgusting when she can't help it.
    Yeah, instead of just looking homeless, itís kind of changed to homeless chic. I dress up my flannel with pearls. -Jenah cycle 9

Chakos::Linkletter::Epley breezez_air's Avatar

Like Tyra says, the fashion industry is craaaaazy.
    Personally I don't think weight is a problem unless you are clinically overweight depending on your height or BMI.
    I'm a boy: 17, 5 ft 7 and weigh just a little over 9 stone (last time I checked that was about 126-ish). I've never been made fun of because of my size but I do get the occasional "gosh your skinnier then I thought you were" from a few girls.
    I myself do not find particularly thin women attractive (like Fatima or Coryn's size) and would rather be with a girl with Diane or Whitney's body shape, and like I said before, it would only be a problem if she was overweight for her height or BMI. And I do think the word 'fat' is thrown around too casually these days.
    I don't wanna get fat like you
    Don't even believe in the F Word...FAT
    ...Perhaps you meant PEE AYTCH AY TEE
    Yeah...I did
    - Stacy Ann and Whitney- ANTM 10

I think that ANTM is trying to send the right message.
    If your fat or thin, it doesn't matter. Just as long as you are happy with your body type, it's all good.
    Whitney is obviously very comfortable with her body, as she should be. She is not fat. I am pretty sure that most people would not consider a size 10 to be fat.
    Congrats to Whitney for being the first plus-size ANTM and David Cook for being the first rocker American Idol!

FORT Fogey

In regards to the "Whitney is fat" comments I've seen all over the web:

Whitney's body mass index is 22.8. The healthy range for BMI 18.5-24.9. So it boggles my mind when Whitney is accused of being "fat." Whitney is a healthy American woman. Not too small, not too big. Just normal & healthy. Weight shouldn't matter as long as a person is healthy and okay with their body image.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast