Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ANTM 10 3/5 Recap: No Thank You, I Must Be Going

ANTM 10 3/5 Recap: No Thank You, I Must Be Going

Last week on America’s Next Top Model, the top 14 arrived in New York City and immediately walked in a Badgley Mischka fashion show in Times Square. They also posed in a “socially conscious” photo shoot as homeless people and welcomed Paulina Porizkova as the newest member of the judging panel. Plus, Kim up and bailed on the competition and Atayla got the boot the old fashioned way. It’s week 3, we’re already down to 12 girls and there’s surely more drama to come.

We pick up the action this week back at the loft, where some of the girls assess the competition. After a not-so-great performance last week, Dominique really wants impress the judges. She declares herself a competitor, beautiful and a diva. You left out modest, hon. Before Dominique can fill us in on more of her attributes, the doorbell rings. The models discover white bags filled with Apple Bottom products. Cue the screaming and the trying on of jeans. Lauren is totally perplexed by the clothes: she’s used to ratty Converse or Doc Martens. Allison sits back and watches the other girls try on their new clothes and gets more and more annoyed. She tells us that she has way more experience modeling than the other girls. Everyone discusses what an apple bottom actually is.

All of a sudden, there’s some sniping back and forth between Fatima and Allison. Basically, Allison thinks Fatima called her fat and that freaks Allison out because she used to be anorexic. Fatima admits she shouldn’t have called Allison big, but claims she isn’t there to offend anyone. And yet, she continues to do it.

Tyra Mail
    ”You never know when you’ll get that next call. A top model is prepared for all. Love, Tyra”

Since this cycle is aiming to be more upscale, why not take a little trip to Wal-Mart? When they arrive, they meet Brent Poer and Molly Stern from Cover Girl. Models must be ready for a casting at a moment’s notice. Today they’ll be doing both a casting and a makeup challenge. Of course, this is also a great opportunity to throw in a big, fat commercial for Cover Girl and Wal-Mart. It’s a two-fer. It seems Cover Girl and Wal-Mart have a new partnership and the winner of this cycle will have her face on a Cover Girl display rack at Wal-Mart. You know, I just have to wonder why they keep harping about the girls needing to be edgy. What’s less edgy than Wal-Mart? And Cover Girl, for that matter? Whatever.

The challenge today gives the girls 5 minutes to shop the Cover Girl wall and create a fresh, clean, natural look. They will have to use Outlast All Day Lip Color, TruBlend Liquid Foundation and Lash Blast Mascara. As with all makeup challenges, this one involves lots of frantic makeupping. Allison boasts that she’s a lot better at this than most of the other girls, especially Fatima. When the five minutes are up, the Cover Girl hacks make their comments. They compliment both Claire and Whitney on their use of lip color, tell Lauren she should have used cheek color and tell Allison she has too much makeup on (ha!). In the end, Claire wins…or loses, depending on how she feels about Wal-Mart. Her picture will be on the Cover Girl page of Wal-Mart.com.

Back at the house, Claire talks about the fact that she takes the competition more seriously because she has a child: she really wants to be able to support her family. Dominique is also a mom and has to be the dad too, since she’s a single mom. She wants her daughter to have a better life. She also wants to inspire other women who have felt trapped in abusive relationships.

Because Allison has the maturity level of a 7th grade girl, she decides to do a little role playing with some dolls. She and Whitney lay in bed, side-by-side, as Allison stuffs paper in the back of a black doll’s pants, pretending it’s Fatima. Seriously. Of course, Fatima is offended and, of course, (because what’s this show without a little conflict) she and Allison have another of their little fights. There’s a lot of bitching and really no resolution. I resisted the urge to hit the mute button, but I really zoned out during this part. I hate this stupid little, snippy fights and I always wonder if the girls are at all embarrassed by their behavior when they see the show later.

Next am
    Tyra Mail
    ”This competition is tough. Don’t you just want to curl up and dye?”

Everyone knows what this means – it’s makeover time! Stacy-Ann pleads with a picture of Tyra, “Tyra, please don’t shave my head!” This is where Stacy-Ann and I differ. I’m actually really hoping for some head shaving. It’s just good TV.

This cycle’s makeover salon is the Steven Knoll Salon, where the girls meet Mr. Jay and Miss J. They confess that even they don’t know what’s going on today because Tyra has been so secretive. Tyra emerges dramatically and then introduces Steven Knoll, whom she calls a huge hairdresser in the fashion industry. Tyra explains that, in the modeling business, agents look at a model and decide what look will make them the most marketable: they don’t explain it ahead of time. Today, Tyra will be their agent and none of them will know what their new look will be until they see it in the mirror. After the makeovers are done, the girls will have a photo shoot to show off their new looks.

Soon enough, the girls are shampooed up and ready to go. Anya’s hair is bleached platinum blonde. She screams when she sees it. So do I. Whitney gets a color change to blonde and long, thick weave. Aimee goes red, with long layers and bangs. Marvita gets the ultimate in high fashion mullets with what Tyra calls a “horse mane hair weave.” The sides are short, the back is long. Whatever you call it, Tyra, the rest of us call it a mullet. Lauren admits she’s done pretty much every crazy thing to her hair, so she’s completely unconcerned. She’d never had long hair before, so that’s what she gets. Her weave is long and blonde, with reddish highlights. It’s probably the most normal ‘do she’s ever had, but she admits she feels girly and pretty.

Throughout the makeover segment, we get shots of Miss J putting long, blonde extension on and mugging for the camera. He even pretends to cry over his “makeover.”

Back to the real makeovers….. Katarzyna gets a darker color. Claire, who already has one side of her head shaved, will have the other side shaved to match, plus most of the rest of her hair as well. Blonde must be Tyra’s new thing, because Claire’s hair – what little there is left of it – it bleached platinum. Fatima is given a long, chestnut brown weave that is MUCH more flattering than that horrid orange color she had. Look no further, we have the crier of the makeover episode! Allison teases Fatima as she cries over the pain from the weave. She’s a charming girl. Allison’s next and she gets lighter hair and a bit of weave. Frankly, I thought the lighter color was decidedly un-flattering. Dominique’s hair is supposed to be edgy – darker and shorter. She ends up looking like a soccer mom in a Sunny D commercial. Amis is another blondie, with a long-ish weave.

Tyra Mail
    ”You worked the clothes the makeup and the hair, now it’s time to work with ‘The Body’”

On a rainy morning, the girls meet Mr. Jay for a boat ride and their next photo shoot. This week, the backdrop will be the New York City and the Brooklyn Bridge. Mr. Jay introduces their photographer, George Holz, who you might remember from the underwater shoot in cycle 2. He then introduces one more person: Elle MacPherson, aka The Body. Elle is there because the girls will be modeling items from her lingerie line. She is also there to make me feel like an old crone, even though she is older than I am. She doesn’t even look like she’s had work done. Bitch. While the models are getting hair and makeup, Elle takes the time to walk around and talk to each of the girls and give them pointers. It’s actually really sweet.

There’s not much more to this segment than the girls posing in various types of lingerie. Who knew “lingerie” included long-sleeved shirts, like the one Claire wears, or a black skirt, like the one Whitney models? Whitney is also laced up into a corset that’s so tight she can barely move. Hmmmm….seems like someone might have a thing about covering up the “big” girl. Lauren is still not comfortable embracing her girliness and confesses to Elle that she doesn’t feel sexy. She admits to Mr. Jay that she doesn’t feel like she’ll be good in front of the camera. He explains that it comes from inner confidence. She doesn’t seem to have much of that at the moment.

While waiting for her turn, Allison practices poses and faces in the mirror. Once she gets in front of the camera, it all goes away. Mr. Jay thinks she may have “studied” too hard, but Allison is positive that she nailed it. Dominique isn’t having such a great shoot either. Mr. Jay says there was nothing good about her shoot (ouch) and, although Dom claims she’s high fashion, everyone tells her it’s pure catalog.

With the photo shoot done, Elle compliments all of them and thanks for their support for helping her sell her lingerie and sends them back to the loft.

Tyra Mail
    ”Tomorrow you will meet with the judges, only 11 will continue on in the hope of becoming America’s Next Top Model”

Lauren is worried about seeing her photo and facing the judges. She’s not alone: everyone is on edge and concerned about panel. Dominique is still ranting on about being called commercial. Allison, full of confidence, tells the girls her shoot went really well: she knows she isn’t going home.

Once again, Tyra is working the bangs at judging. She welcomes the girls and does the whole list the prizes, introduce the judges thing. This week’s fifth judge is photographer George Holz.

Amis: Paulina asks Anya if she feels good about her new hair and Anya admits she feels sexier. Assessing her photo, Nigel says the look in her eyes is sexy, but the body needs work.
    Lauren: Tyra tells her to adjust her stance and relax. In spite of the fact that she just corrected Lauren’s posture, she praises her photo, saying the awkwardness works.
    Marvita: Nigel thinks her photo is stunning. George reveals that Marvita was a bit stiff at the beginning of the shoot, but she got better. Paulina likens her to a panther in an urban jungle.
    Claire: Tyra explains to Claire why she chose the picture she did. Claire might be working the whole eyebrow raising thing, but her mouth looks tense. That’s something Claire needs to work on. She uses Christy Turlington (one of my personal faves) as an example of a model who knows how to give good eyebrow.
    Fatima: Tyra immediately tells her to shake out her hair a bit. She then tells Fatima that, in the photo, she looks like Iman. Miss J has issues with Fatima’s legs in the photo: they’re too stiff. Tyra says Fatima is only modeling from the waist up and needs to learn what to do with her legs and feet.
    Katarzyna: Miss J calls her photo “sex kitten,” while Paulina says it’s “mail order bride #1.“
    Stacy-Ann: Tyra compliments her legs in the photo and Paulina praises her lovely jaw that, coincidentally, is strong like Paulina’s
    Dominique: Tyra points out the dimples in her thigh and tells her she needs to pull her booty away from the camera. She then says the picture looks like a newspaper model and urges Dom to bring her cockiness to her photos.
    Aimee: Nigel thinks her skin looks incredible, but says she needs to push it more. George says a twist of the hips would have improved the picture.
    Anya: Tyra thinks her accent is even stranger with the blonde hair. Paulina likes the picture, but says it isn’t as beautiful as Anya is standing in front of them.
    Allison: The judges compliment her new look and she agree with them. Nigel remarks on her not saying thank you and drops a hint that she probably should say thank you. She just stands there as they wait for some humility. It doesn’t happen. Nigel praises her legs in the picture, but Tyra points out that her eyes look far away. Nigel says there is no passion in the photo. Tyra reveals that Mr. Jay felt Allison practiced her poses so much that she became too studied.
    Whitney: Tyra is unhappy with Whitney’s film, but doesn’t blame Whitney. She says the stylists covered up Whitney’s curves instead of showing them off. Paulina thinks it’s not a great shot, but does think Whitney is a beautiful woman.

Tyra dismisses the girls so the judges can begin their deliberation.

Amis: Nigel thinks she definitely doesn’t know her angles yet and generally seems lost.
    Lauren: Paulina says Lauren’s flaws make her beautiful and interesting.
    Marvita: Nigel says hers is one of the strongest pictures this week.
    Claire: George tells the others Claire was great to work with and the picture doesn’t reflect it.
    Fatima: Paulina doesn’t think it’s a great shot. Nigel says she needs to go for it more to be a really good model.
    Katarzyna: Paulina again says it reeks of Russian mail order bride and calls the picture tacky. Stacy-Ann: Paulina thinks her jaw line is gorgeous.
    Dominique: Paulina calls it pure soccer mom. George admits he thought she was one of the model’s mothers coming to the shoot until he saw her wearing lingerie.
    Aimee: Paulina loves Aimee’s new red hair.
    Anya: Paulina (who is talking a whole lot this week) thinks Anya has great potential, but also has a really weird accent. Miss J agrees, saying Anya sounds like she’s on sleep meds with a Jamaican accent.
    Allison: Nigel thinks she’s conceited. George tells them Allison was tough to shoot.
    Whitney: Tyra really wanted to see Whitney’s booty and it was all covered up. She urges Nigel to feel her booty so he sees what she means. She actually shoves his hand under her butt and makes her blush. Sort of made me like him a little bit right there to know he actually can blush.

The girls return to hear the judges’ decision. Here’s the call-out order:
    Lauren
    Marvita
    Aimee
    Claire
    Stacy-Ann
    Fatima
    Anya
    Whitney
    Katarzyna
    Amis

It’s down to Dominique and Allison and Allison is already crying. Tyra assesses the situation. First, there’s Dominique, who speaks of herself in the third person all the time and with confidence. This is the second week in a row that she’s been far from perfect. Then there’s Allison, who came into the competition with more experience than the other girls and isn’t performing. Plus, one of the judges thinks she doesn’t know two simple words: “thank you.”

Allison is out. She cries and hides her face. Tyra tells Dominique she will stay in the competition and have the hair color Tyra wanted her to have in the first place. She gives Allison a little pep talk: she can still be a model. Back at the loft, Allison packs and cries and cries and packs. She says she’s never wanted anything more than she wanted this and knows she really blew it. She’ll put her ANTM pictures in her portfolio, start shopping around for agencies and keep going. If nothing else, she can always get work impersonating Sarah Silverman.

Next week: Fatima and Amis work Miss J’s last nerve at the runway class. Plus, Whitney comes up against Amis and Dominique.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: ANTM 10 3/5 Recap: No Thank You, I Must Be Going

Allison = Sarah Silverman.

Great recap!
    Question: What did you do in your downtime?
    Anya: We made up Couture Twister and Model-opoly! Katarzyna made it up.
    : Awwwwww!

great recap!
    still confused why stacy ann got called in the fifth place and anya in seventh:nono
    I remember when first i saw her,i was like "This girl is gonna win" :nono
    I guess I'm the SALEISHA in this competition *Laugh loudly* -Dominique

Claire & Anya & Kata Zilverlelie's Avatar

I like Claire (not so much her make-over) and Katarzyna .

Premium Member

She declares herself a competitor, beautiful and a diva. You left out modest, hon.

You know, I just have to wonder why they keep harping about the girls needing to be edgy. What’s less edgy than Wal-Mart? And Cover Girl, for that matter? Whatever.

There’s a lot of bitching and really no resolution. I resisted the urge to hit the mute button, but I really zoned out during this part. I hate this stupid little, snippy fights and I always wonder if the girls are at all embarrassed by their behavior when they see the show later.

Stacy-Ann pleads with a picture of Tyra, “Tyra, please don’t shave my head!” This is where Stacy-Ann and I differ. I’m actually really hoping for some head shaving. It’s just good TV.
    Just a few of my favorite parts. FABulous recap, Critical, I loved it!

Lauren+Claire=FTW ethereal.eyes's Avatar

thanks!!
    "Hey Lauren, Wheres Your Baby?"
    "In Mah Tummy!" - Lauren Utter

Congrats Whitney! reneealldeway19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2830462;
    Whatever you call it, Tyra, the rest of us call it a mullet.

BTW, what does it mean when Tyra says, "and you're going to get the hair color that I wanted you to have" to Dominique??? I thought Tyra decided that that ugly color was it??
    "I miss Aimee...." "I stomp the KATwalk!"
    Danielle:"You see the sun set...you see it rise. You see the Eiffel Tower, you hear the crows caw, and Nnenna's still on the phone!"
    (Download the ANTM Fade Away Song
    Here:http://www.mediafire.com/?1nn1m45xhz5) (My ANTM 10 Head Quarters)

Great recap!

Great recap!

You guys do such great recaps on this site. This is the only place where I read them even though I have seen show!

thanks for the recap :]
    Anya: (holding the navigation cell phone) why are we going the opposite way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast