Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does ANTM mean to you?

FORT Fogey

What does ANTM mean to you?

I'm currently writing a paper for my composition class. Our assignment is to write a "cultural autobiography", where we focus on the subcultures within our life and how they define us as a person.

I am writing my paper on my involvement in the America's Next Top Model fandom, and more specifically, on the FoRT community.

One of the key points of my paper is how ANTM is probably the most unusual part of myself--that is to say, it's very different from all of my other interests and personality traits. I'm a dork, a gamer, and an intellectual who works at a zoo. Needless to say, one would not peg me as a die-hard ANTM fan from the get go.

For my paper, I want to illustrate my points about the fandom and it's diversity with real examples. If you guys would be so kind as to help, I'd be super greatful.

A couple of the questions I have:

1- How would you describe a typical ANTM fan?
    2- Are you the type of person who seems like they'd be a fan of the show?
    3- What is it that you like about ANTM so darn much?
    4- What is it about the show that compels you to find a community, like FoRT, where you can discuss ANTM?
    5- Would you consider ANTM or FoRT to be a part of your cultural identity?

Thanks in advance to everyone for their help. I'm hoping it will all make for an awesome paper.

Re: What does ANTM mean to you?

Quote Originally Posted by GuruBishisama;2776783;
    I'm currently writing a paper for my composition class. Our assignment is to write a "cultural autobiography", where we focus on the subcultures within our life and how they define us as a person.

I am writing my paper on my involvement in the America's Next Top Model fandom, and more specifically, on the FoRT community.

One of the key points of my paper is how ANTM is probably the most unusual part of myself--that is to say, it's very different from all of my other interests and personality traits. I'm a dork, a gamer, and an intellectual who works at a zoo. Needless to say, one would not peg me as a die-hard ANTM fan from the get go.

For my paper, I want to illustrate my points about the fandom and it's diversity with real examples. If you guys would be so kind as to help, I'd be super greatful.

4- What is it about the show that compels you to find a community, like FoRT, where you can discuss ANTM?

Thanks in advance to everyone for their help. I'm hoping it will all make for an awesome paper.
    -A typical ANTM fan would be someone like me, who always live fashion, thinks & breaths it. I talk about it non-stop.
    -YES.
    -What I love ANTM so much is the photoshoots & especially the makeovers.
    -I first came upon FORT trying to find screencaps of Cycle 8 Finale & after that I got addicated because theres actually people here who you can to about the same show that you love so much & theres threads for each possible topic about TOP MODEL.
    -I think it does now.
    Tyra: Lets hear it for the 6 baddest chick in this competition. Now it's time to get on that private plane.. but guess what? you guys aren't top models yet. My judges are already stars, and they travel FIRST CLASS, PRIVATE. See you later, have fun on your commercial flight. (Tyra & Judges leave for the plane) See you (long pause) in Rome ladies (Final 6 models cheer) Chao Bella.

someone who is not only obsessed with models & fashion, but also with human psychology & sociology.

yes very much so.

the drama, the cattiness, the bitcheness, the week to week breakdown of some random girl. it's like survival of the fittest. the weak ones (although very beautiful) get weeded out based on challenges & tyra's mood that particular week.

i googled it & voila. i needed a community or forum to join to discuss my passion for antm. what surprised me was antm fort fans are as varied & diverse as the models featured on the show. everyone has their favorites & their own reasons why they dont like a certain girl.

cultural no. identity YES. i do identify with it. although i dont know if thats so good. to be critical of others (as well as myself), i mean.
    Eat More Food! Holla, Holla, Holla! - Whitney, C10 Winner & HBIC

FORT Fogey

Great thread. Good luck on your paper.

1- How would you describe a typical ANTM fan?: This probably doesn't help, but there really isn't a typical ANTM fan, in my eyes. Fans range from reality television freaks to hardcore fashionistas, really. Those two groups are probably the most prevalent among FORT.

2- Are you the type of person who seems like they'd be a fan of the show?: Yes. I've always had an interest in the arts in general, so something dealing with modeling (which is, on a larger scale, closely related to things such as acting) would definitely appeal to me.

3- What is it that you like about ANTM so darn much?: It was my introduction to fashion. I liked the idea of taking normal girls and giving them a "taste" of the industry (if you can even call it that). Now, I see it mostly as camp (ala Saved By the Bell).

4- What is it about the show that compels you to find a community, like FoRT, where you can discuss ANTM?:
    Not knowing much about the fashion industry upon my initial viewing of the show, I wanted to educate myself, in a sense. I was intrigued by the show and what it touched upon--for example, terms such as 'potential' struck me as being alien; I wanted to learn more.

5- Would you consider ANTM or FoRT to be a part of your cultural identity?: Definitely. It's a huge part of my life as of now, as silly as that sounds. Although my love for the show is waning, I still hold it very close to my heart.

Obsessed.Crazy.Fashionable.FIE RCE!

Hell yes. In every way, shape and form I am an antm fan

I love photography and learning about diffrent people and there lives, and antm has that. You create your own views on a topic and you can go online and be part of a community of fierce people

I think the fact that people have diffrent views on contestents like thier personalitys and there looks and that evokes people discussing on FoRT

I would consider FoRT a part of my cultural identity because its a community of people who have the same intrests I have. I identify with the members.

P.S. I think that watching ANTM makes people obsessed with looks because the show focuses on "pretty" people. I dont walk down the street and see 5'8 goregous girls in designer fashions (I do once in a while) The show has alterd what I think about beauty.

I would love to see your finished paper
    Last edited by AntmGuy001; 01-31-2008 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuruBishisama;2776783;

Sweet Idea for a paper
    2- I don't seem liek Id be a fan of the show: I am a Chemistry Student at University, I am quiet and avoid popular things/ am not a popular person, I NEVER wear makeup(unless I'm on stage), I wear the same thing almost everyday

Why I do seem like a fan of the show: I'm young and female, I used to be the top sewing and textiles student when I was 14 and 15, I participated in the Sewing class' end of the year fashion show and a fashion show for a 2nd rate 'beauty pagent' @ age 12, I like clothing

3- I like ANTM because I like art. Fashion, photography and modelling are forms of art IMO.

4- I come to FORT because I have no one to discuss ANTM with. My friends dont watch it. Plus, the anonomous-ness of the internet lets me express my opinions openly (not that I'd get beaten up for saying I dont like this/that photo, but still you know) Also, to get lots of different ideas from other people about why this person/ that photo is beautiful. I like the exchange of ideas.

I dont feel like I could give you a good answer to question 1 and 5

Bon Chance with your paper!
    Top Model LARPing! OMG!
    KatarXena Warrior Princess.

I really cant describe a typical antm fan since its such a diverse group.. Only thing i can say that a typical fan has someone she/he rots for and someone he/she would love to be eliminated...

I guess no, becouse no pne has ever come up to me at school/street/work and ask me do i watch antm... But if you get to know me your would describe me "the biggest antm fan in Finland".. Thats how fanatic i am

Wen i first saw antm i fell in love with the contestants.. I had never heard of tyra before antm and boy do i know much today.. The girls and the basic idea sucked me in to watch it more and more... I've seen every episode so far, never missed one.. Nowdays i love antm becouse of the girl the judges the photoshoots the challanges, basically everything. And i love that antm is so big that it has spread all over the world (here in Finland we will have ours in April)

I guess i wanted to talk with people who really know what i'm talking about... Here in Finland onlu a selected few have seen all 9 cycles... I love that i can share my opinions with people, agree and disagree, and get all the hot gossip about the past cycles girls and what they are doing

Antm Definately... I think about the show everyday, i practise poses for fun infront of the mirror, i try to think like tyra would in some situations... Fort is a place for me to talk but i wouldn consider it a part of my identity.. I go to a lot of sites fort being one of them

1- How would you describe a typical ANTM fan? A crazy female that watches all the "in" shows so she can talk to her friends the next day about them.

2- Are you the type of person who seems like they'd be a fan of the show? Defenitely not. I'm one of the scarce few straight guys that watch this show. The MTV marathons got me hooked though.

3- What is it that you like about ANTM so darn much? The drama; the anticipation of who will get eliminated; the occasional good-looking girl.

4- What is it about the show that compels you to find a community, like FoRT, where you can discuss ANTM? The fact that this is the only place where I can talk about the show without, well, any unecessary humiliation.

5- Would you consider ANTM or FoRT to be a part of your cultural identity? Not really, but it is still fun to watch and try my hardest to not miss it when episodes air.

FORT Fogey

1. A typical ANTM fan to me is the type of girl who loves fashion, knows about designers, and understand that modeling is more complex than taking a pretty picture.

2. I don't think so. I'm studious and a hard worker and I don't watch a lot of television. I have many 'nerdy' qualities about me and I spend hours on the computer in my free time. But I watch ANTM religiously, and I literally am addicted.

3. So many reason why I like ANTM. At first I had barely heard of it until my cousin introduced it to me the marathon before the cycle 8 finale last May, and after watching only a few episodes I knew I would be watching the show's finale. What I liked so much was the creative photoshoot ideas and the fun personalities of the girls. Now, I like the fun people like Mr. & Miss J, I like the funny first episodes, I like the suspense of wondering "who is going to be called next?", and I like the fact that I learn. With every episode I learn something new I had never known before.

4. I like to see what other people think about the girls and how people feel about the photoshoots and the challenges. I also like the FanArt, the nice community, and the good discussions.

5. ANTM is most definitely a part of me. I talk about it endlessly and I always can relate back to it (example, my friend once was saying how girls shouldn't burp and I thought of Natasha in the casting episode). FORT isn't so much a part of my identity, but a fun place to go and discuss the latest ANTM happenings.

Hope I helped

12-28 year old females, gay guys, reality tv junkies

Kind of.

The photography, the art and the drama!

None of my friends watch this show.

Umm, maybe. Not that I would ever admit it in person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast