Page 18 of 214 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Fatima - Cycle 10

Re: Fatima - Cycle 10

Also, the reason the word "mutilation" is used is so that is clearly distinguishes itself from male circumcision. It really can't be compared to male circumcision.
    Thank you! That's what I was trying to say, but I couldn't word it correctly.

FORT Fogey

For anyone interested in the experience which Fatima has been subjected to, the Wikipedia entry is under Female Genital Cutting.

Prepare for graphic information ahead.

After some research, I've learned a bit more about it. The term "mutilation" is often used to describe it's extreme nature. As well, there are numerous types-- Type I is the most analogous to male circumcision, in which the "hood" or foreskin of the clitoris is removed. The most extreme type, Type III, basically involves the removal of all external parts of the female genitalia, such as the clitoris and labia. As well, the region is often stitched almost completely shut, leaving just enough space for urine and menstrual blood to escape.

Rihanna99, it sounds like the "no big deal" procedure that your mother and siblings have undergone is a type I procedure. In Africa, particularly Muslim nations (such as Somalia, Fatima's homeland) the more extreme versions, like Type III, are performed. Considering it's part of her sob story, and they use the term mutilation, I doubt it was a type I procedure.

EDIT:::
    Or I could learn to read, Sireafi basically said the same thing as me but he already said it... whoops.
    Last edited by GuruBishisama; 01-23-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: me being a dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by guii;2766233;
    Not trying to be mean or anything like that...

But I'm pissed of with this cycle. Tyra is making ANTM a Charity show, putting ghetto girls like her and Marvita there. I definately won't want to live with them.

how do you know that's why tyra is putting them on the show?
    marvita has an incredibly interesting face. many people think it's ugly, but many people think it's gorgeous.

fatima is one of the most beautiful girls this season.
    regardless of their "sob stories", these girls should be on the show.

and how could anyone know that they wouldn't want to live with marvita or fatima unless they know them?

for all we know, these girls could be the nicest people ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy4RealYo;2767015;
    The way her right leg is posed is very high fashion.
    Agree. Her right leg is so striking. Everything about her is blessed by God above.

I Hope She has an accent (Ala Nnnenna)
    MY ANTM WINNERS:

1. Shannon | 2. Shandi | 3. Amanda | 4. Kahlen | 5. Nik | 6. Joanie | 7. Melrose | 8. Jaslene | 9. Jenah | 10. Anya

FORT Newbie

[QUOTE=GuruBishisama;2767275;]

Rihanna99, it sounds like the "no big deal" procedure that your mother and siblings have undergone is a type I procedure. In Africa, particularly Muslim nations (such as Somalia, Fatima's homeland) the more extreme versions, like Type III, are performed. Considering it's part of her sob story, and they use the term mutilation, I doubt it was a type I procedure.

QUOTE]

I just want to get this point across - gential mutilation is not Islamic in any way - it existed before Islam. It is definately more of a cultural practice rather than religious. It is common in Somali but I have not heard of the Type III being the most common, however, it does happen. I suppose it depends on what region of the country one is from and possibly what clan the female belongs to. The people of Somalia are divided into numerous clans as well as sub clans that have certain distinct characteristics - one is the dialect of Somali that they speak.

Also, someone mentioned that Fatima may have left Somalia because of the genital mutliation process but I doubt that was it. Somalia is a very distressed country that has undergone much chaos since the rule of Siad Barre. Like the many Somali immigrants here in the U.S., Fatima probably fled in search of a better life for herself - not because of genital mutilation. I don't know her whole story but I'm certain that she came here for the simple opportunities that people take for granted here in the U.S. and to escape living in such a sad country.

I wish Fatima the best of luck on the show.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mama_africa87;2767608;
    I just want to get this point across - gential mutilation is not Islamic in any way - it existed before Islam. It is definately more of a cultural practice rather than religious. It is common in Somali but I have not heard of the Type III being the most common, however, it does happen. I suppose it depends on what region of the country one is from and possibly what clan the female belongs to. The people of Somalia are divided into numerous clans as well as sub clans that have certain distinct characteristics - one is the dialect of Somali that they speak.

Also, someone mentioned that Fatima may have left Somalia because of the genital mutliation process but I doubt that was it. Somalia is a very distressed country that has undergone much chaos since the rule of Siad Barre. Like the many Somali immigrants here in the U.S., Fatima probably fled in search of a better life for herself - not because of genital mutilation. I don't know her whole story but I'm certain that she came here for the simple opportunities that people take for granted here in the U.S. and to escape living in such a sad country.

I wish Fatima the best of luck on the show.
    She probably left for fear of her life! But thanks so much for the clarification. Do you know how women respond to the mutilation? I read somewhere that some women feel like it is empowering. I can't imagine why, but how do Somali women feel about it? Do you know?

She is very striking. Perhaps Tyra finally found someone worthy of the mantra TOP model?

i think female circumcision is painful.. since a female's organs are sensitive. male circumcision in our country is done even if the guy is on their teens
    trust in God,have faith
    FANTASTIC KATALYST/KATWALKER
    "KATAlyzing the KATwalk"
    Kataclauremeenya

Insanely gorgeous.

She gets the stamp of approval