Thread: Fatima - Cycle 10

Re: Fatima - Cycle 10

Quote Originally Posted by BustaK;2903373;
    Having a high GPA doesn't mean you're smart... If you know how to play the system, it's not very difficult to get a high GPA.
    You are EXACTLY right. This drove me nuts in high school because I took higher-level courses, AP courses, and -- for my junior and senior year -- took extra classes instead of taking extra study hall periods like most of my classmates did. And guess what? There were people with higher GPAs than I had, merely because they took the minimum amount of courses they had to, chose easy electives, and had up to three study hall periods.

FORT Newbie

what in the world is a 4.5 gpa? colleges definitely don't look at gpa that way... they adjust it to a 4 point system regardless of how much the schools like to pad it. a 3.6 gpa on a 4 point scale is great, so i dont know why yall are even arguing that she needs other credentials in order to look appealing to schools.

Quote Originally Posted by eeemmm;2903412;
    what in the world is a 4.5 gpa? colleges definitely don't look at gpa that way... they adjust it to a 4 point system regardless of how much the schools like to pad it. a 3.6 gpa on a 4 point scale is great, so i dont know why yall are even arguing that she needs other credentials in order to look appealing to schools.
    Not true. Tope tier colleges adjust GPA's into an unweighted scale. When I reported my high school GPA to colleges, they took it above the 4.0 mark, I didn't have to adjust it. True, they may look at it unweighted as well, but they surely don't treat a weighted 4.0 the same way they treat an unweighted 4.0.

And a 3.6 out of a 4.0 is not great. It's good, but for top tier colleges it is far from outstanding, and would often not get students into NYU or Bryn Mawr. Fatima probably did need her other credentials to get it.

But this school talk is getting irritating. This is FORT not college confidential. Bottom line is I don't buy the Fatima is smart line.
    Let's not forget ourselves good friend
    I am flawed if I'm not free

Quote Originally Posted by calvinrm;2903425;
    Bottom line is I don't buy the Fatima is smart line.
    But you haven't disproven it either.

Quote Originally Posted by BustaK;2903440;
    But you haven't disproven it either.
    Well I can't really disprove it, just like you can't prove it.

I just provided some facts though that discredit using the titles of her schools as staples of her intelligence.

I can't convince you guys she's not smart, I'm just saying, don't throw the words NYU and Bryn Mawr around to flaunt her intelligence. Kat went to Cornell, but you don't see us Katwalkers constantly flaunting that she's intelligent because of it. We know she's intelligent because she's well spoken, knows how to conduct herself and adapt to various situations, and doesnt involve herself in petty drama. A school title says little, conduct speaks for miles.

^^ True, but Kat isn't being accused of being dumb. If someone did accuse her of being dumb, I'm sure her fans would bring up Cornell.

I think she's going to win, I think she had a winner's edit when she was in the bottom two with Amis.

FORT Fogey

Well.

I wasn't trying to assert that Fatima is some kind of Mensa level genius because of the schools she went to. I agree that plenty of college bound kids these days are substantial morons--the majority of my residence hall is proof enough of that.

I can't speak for NYU, but Bryn Mawr is not a big school, and the requirements for getting in are high. Because it's so selective, that's where I'm inclined to assume Fatima is at least reasonably book smart. Were Fatima's high school grades, determining her college admission, totally accurate representations of her intelligence? Probably not. Is there a chance she was at least partially affirmitavely-acted into college? Sure.

But you're making it sound like any moron with the right papers can just waltz into a top school without question. Sure, you can find ways around it if you're a total moron, but chances are she is probably of reasonable intelligence.

I don't think fatima is a moron. I just don't think using her schools as a staple of her intelligence is credible.

Quote Originally Posted by calvinrm;2903795;
    I don't think Fatima is a moron. I just don't think using her schools as a staple of her intelligence is credible.
    I agree. I forgot who mentioned it before, but it isn't so much the school name or rank. Like in Cycle 9, I thought Victoria was a BFD because she said she said she went to Yale (every few sentences). Then come to find out she's majoring in Medieval History. Not to say that Medieval History isn't a good major, but it's probably not what gives Yale its high reputation. There's a huge discrepancy between majoring in Ergonomics and Agriculture at NYU, for example, than majoring in Fine Arts.

I have no problem with Fatima being smart, but I feel like she does tend to wave her supposed intelligence around. And I feel like she always has to act high and mighty to try to prove it to the other girls. I don't like that at all.

I find it WAY more admirable for a smart girl to be modest about it... down-to-earth. I like how Kat, though she did go to Cornell and whatnot, doesn't seem to have to act snooty and holier-than-thou to the other girls and isn't afraid to just let loose and have fun. Take note, Fatima the Scheme-a!