Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324

Thread: 9/26 Show Discussion Thread **SPOLIERS**

Kao

Re: 9/26 Show Discussion Thread **SPOLIERS**

I have a family member who is an Aspie. And after watching this episode, I have never wanted to slap someone hard enough for their head to spin around like the Exorcist like I wanted to slap Kim. What an horrible, ugly, small person she is inside...as well as the other girls who thought that it would be funny to talk crap about someone with a disability.

Another slap should go out for Tyra. Aspergers is an Autism SPECTRUM disorder, not autism in the more traditional sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fashion_Nazi;2588093;
    ...Jay was right about Janet looking like Janice Dickerson........
    Angie Dickenson.

Quote Originally Posted by NoBody;2588334;
    Thanks lol. I was reading through the thread and I was like WHO THE ^@$@#^@ is Tory?!?!?! lol. Why is she Tory anyway?
    VicToria.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2588666;
    .....not fair, to include smokers and then declare it a no-smoking cycle.
    I agree. Kinda low brow. They should at least help the smokers out by providing the patch, or some other stop smoking nicotine aid. Stressful enough as it is,....but to have to go cold turkey? Not fair without warning or help.
    Last edited by Tribal Speak; 09-29-2007 at 03:32 AM.

Where would the fun be in helping them out? The added drama of a girl with a social disorder thrown into the mix of girls suffering from nicotine withdrawal? Its gold! And Tyra can have them come on her show for her special brand of therapy. *smirks*

Anyways, Kim rubbed me the wrong way with her comment about "those people" no amount of tricky editing can change the tone that was said in but I will give her the benefit of the doubt and just say perhaps she simply wasn't raised right and hopefully will show a better side.

Serious question though.... as beautiful as Lisa is... do any of you think Tyra would award an exotic dancer the title since she's so big *massive eye rolls* on the models being role models? I think Lisa is just there as cannon fodder for Tyra and company to snark into place. Which would be a pity because she is easily one of the most stunning looking women this show has had and definitely on this season.

Good question Harmony. But then again, she made a big deal about including TWO plus-size models last year and then awarded the title to a toothpick.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2591725;
    Good question Harmony. But then again, she made a big deal about including TWO plus-size models last year and then awarded the title to a toothpick.
    SO. TRUE. God I never realised it. But yeah, she made a big deal out of it and Jaslene really is a toothpick. Gosh!

Back on topic.
    I'm sure Kim is a good person. Everybody is a good person to someone. You know terrorist have friends too wich they are kind to. I'm not comparing Kim to a terrorist really, that was just an example.
    My point is, they may have edited it out of context, obviously she didn't want to hurt her.. doh. I can even imagine that the competition just got to her head and she said it to get herselve some more airtime. Or the other girls were talking about Heather and she wanted to get the attention and decided to say something mean. Either way, she said it. And she rubbed me - and obviously more FORT-ers - the wrong way.
    Something completely different. I can't hear one more thing about Heather and her disability any-more. I have no problem with it, or Heather, but I do have a problem with this show blowing it up. The first episode was like an introduction into Heather and the second was just all about her. Tyra was (NOT) spontaniousely mentioning it at panel, that was disturbing. Wich got a very (fake) suprised reaction from Nigel. She could've just said, look guys there's something I need to tell about Heather. Don't go like "wow this is such a great picture, ESPECIALLY FOR SOMEONE WITH A DISABILITY!" Ugh.
    I wonder if they put Heather in the 'side-smoking' team on purpose. To see if she could handle it, and maybe they even teamed her up with Saleisha because they'd hope Saleisha would be respectful to her and even help her out.
    "A group who forms a unit that excludes people on the persuasion that you hate a person [Paloma] is bullying and it's bitchy. Who instigated this [Jordan] is an absolute moron and who took part in it and encouraged it [Anika, Danica, Sophie, Alice] are even bigger morons." - Charlotte Dawson. Amen!

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty StarrieEyedKat's Avatar

There's no doubt to me that Tyra and Co. are using Heather and her disability for their own benefit, and the benefit of the show. That doesn't bother me, because Heather knows what she's doing and seems to want to be a role model for others.
    What DOES bother me is the misinformation Tyra has and is probably going to spew everywhere. First, Jenny McCarthy went all over Oprah and People about how she "pulled" her son out of autism w/ a special diet (which does work for some, but is not a "cure"). Now we have Tyra stating ignorant comments about how Aspergers is the "traditional form of autism" and how it "brings out a genius gene/quality in people". Not to mention Kim's statement of how "people like Heather cling to others". This stuff irks me. If you're going to use someone and their disability, at least get the facts right, if not, shut your trap.
    Just found out I'm pregnant, 1/28/08!!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by StarrieEyedKat;2592092;
    There's no doubt to me that Tyra and Co. are using Heather and her disability for their own benefit, and the benefit of the show. That doesn't bother me, because Heather knows what she's doing and seems to want to be a role model for others.
    What DOES bother me is the misinformation Tyra has and is probably going to spew everywhere. First, Jenny McCarthy went all over Oprah and People about how she "pulled" her son out of autism w/ a special diet (which does work for some, but is not a "cure"). Now we have Tyra stating ignorant comments about how Aspergers is the "traditional form of autism" and how it "brings out a genius gene/quality in people". Not to mention Kim's statement of how "people like Heather cling to others". This stuff irks me. If you're going to use someone and their disability, at least get the facts right, if not, shut your trap.
    For sure Heather is being exploited! That bothers me! I don't think Heather can handle the fashion industry with her inability to interact with others and her awkwardness. I think Tyra is just wrongfully leading Heather on by picking her to be on the show and by calling her name first in this episode. (Someone who needs that much coaching from the photographer, had bad reviews from Mr. Jay, didn't have the best picture or win the challenge, AND appeared awkward at panel should not be called first!) It isn't fair to the other models who have been eliminated so Tyra could keep Heather and show how accepting she can be!
    I've actually heard a lot of people who know about Asperger's describe it the same way Tyra described it. (Although, Tyra tried to make it seem like she's been knowing about Asperger's when you know she googled it right before).

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty StarrieEyedKat's Avatar

I didn't mean to sound like I didn't care that Heather was being exploited...I just don't think that the show is exploiting her in a bad way, they're just giving her more airtime and an easier ride through at this point. If they turn around and eliminate her for being awkward, or something else she can't control, then I'll be upset.
    Also, you'd be surprised at how well Aspie's (thanks for that word, Kao) are able to work in high stress jobs. I recently read an article about an Aspergers patient that was a very successful neuroscientist, and the disorder interfered much more in her life than it seems to interfere in Heathers. You don't need the most bubbly or friendly personality to model, I think we've all seen that, lol.
    I agree w/ you about Tyra and her googling Aspergers, lol, but she was still way off the mark. She just stated what a lot of people believe, after seeing savants like Rainman.
    Just found out I'm pregnant, 1/28/08!!!