Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: America’s Next Top Model 8: Interview with Jael, 4/19/07

America’s Next Top Model 8: Interview with Jael, 4/19/07

Although not finished “spreading the joy to the universe,” Jael became the eighth girl eliminated from America’s Next Top Model. Not known to follow the drum and beat of everyone else, this 22-year-old band manager stood apart and is proud that she was true to herself. Is the universe ready to take on Jael? Find out what this fearless, jack-of-all trades has in store for her future.

Hi, Jael! Thank you for speaking with me today.

Hi! How are you?

I’ll have to apologize if I can’t understand you all the time.

Oh, it’s okay.

How did you become interested in applying for America’s Next Top Model?

I was actually scouted by a casting director on MySpace. I never really applied for the show, but I did get into castings, and I got called back twice. I also made it through semi-finals, and through that, I made it onto the show.

Did you have any previous modeling experience?

I have a little modeling experience beforehand.

I know you did interviewing stuff on the last show. You’re not going to give me a hard time, are you? [laughs]

Why would I give you a hard time? [laughs]

You said you created a bond with each girl on the show. What was it like for you living in a house with all the girls?

You know what? I think living in the house with all the girls was really awesome. I really loved being around so many diverse personalities, and I felt like it was a beautiful house. We all meshed together. We all came from different places and different backgrounds. We also found a way to get along, and it was wonderful.

Who was your roommate?

When we were in the house, I slept in between Diana and Brittany, and Whitney was in the room with us, as well. Then when we moved to Australia, I was in a room with Renee.

Was there anyone with whom you were particularly close?

Yes, I was super-close with Brittany and Felicia and Sarah.

Who was the most difficult one to get along with?

You know, I wouldn’t say that any of the girls were difficult to get along with. You know, we all have different personalities. You fight with your best friends in the world, so you have to care to actually get into altercations with somebody. Anything that you saw between Renee and I is because we actually cared for each other, so we got under each other’s skin once in awhile, you know.

You seemed to be the peace-maker of the house. Would you agree with that?

Yes, I would definitely agree with that. I’m really positive, and I feel like we can all live simultaneously without having to be negative with each other. You can compete with somebody without sabotaging them. You just do the best of it you can do personally.

Our readers always like hear another contestant’s opinion of the other girls in the house. In a one or two word description, please tell me the first thing that comes to mind when you hear these names:

Brittany: Goofy and secret evil. (She’ll love it!)

Cassandra: Completely peaceful.

Diana: [laughs] Diana is my woman.

Dionne: Very interesting.

Felicia: My little dancing machine.

Jaslene: Cha-cha diva.

Kathleen: [Imitates Kathleen’s voice] “Oh my gosh, guys.” [laughter from both]

Natasha: Okay, I’ll quote Natasha on this: “Every time you run, there is a chance of fall.”

Renee: Motherly. Definitely.

Samantha: She’s got a hippy boyfriend.

Sarah:
    Very professional.

Whitney: Whitney is going downstairs.

Yourself, Jael: Just put Grandpaw. (She spelled “grandpaw” for me.)

How tall are you?

I’m 5’11”.

Do you read Fans of Reality TV?

I will!

On makeover day, you had the Day from Hell with your weave. The 8-hour experience was obviously a grueling one. For those of us unfamiliar with the process of weaves, tell me about that experience.

Well, listen, it hurts really bad when your hair is really. . . . They dyed my hair four times before they braided it, and my hair was really short, and then they damaged it so much that my head was on fire. So, it hurt really, really bad, and I sat there and let them do it just because I felt that I had no choice. If felt it would be worth it if that’s what they wanted for me to continue in the competition. So, for it to all be worth nothing, it kind of sucked, but I made it through. I’m glad it’s over.

Yes, you did. You were really strong for that. Were you happy with the look after they took it back out and you ended up with what you had?

I was happy with anything that wasn’t painful. I think that my hair was perfect before they messed it all up and cut it all up, but, you know, I tried to work with it.

You won the thrift store challenge, and you seemed to be very concerned with the girls liking you. Do you think that held you back and kept you from taking this competition as seriously as you could have—the need to be liked?

Well, actually I wasn’t very concerned with the girls liking me; I just realized that I have to live in the house with all these girls. Because it was the first competition, I was concerned about my longevity there and us getting along in the house because I am a peace-maker. So, that was more concern than me winning a challenge. I just put my life before me winning a challenge.

You seemed to be the class clown, you liked wigs, you didn’t like to wear clothes, and you seemed to like to goof around. Is that the real Jael we were seeing?

Well, if you could see me right now, I have a pink Mohawk/mullet, and I have on a yellow and blue and white polka-dot dress. And I have on boots with buckles all over them, and they have duct tape on the back because they’re kind of broken, so everyday is Halloween.

The party with 50 Cent, the pool, Benny Medina, and the Nicole Richie/Renee incident. What was going on at that party?

I was having fun, and they should have been worried about them having fun instead of being all up in my business. [big laugh] You can’t hate me for having a good time!

No, I can’t. Was the pool-pushing thing real?

Oh, yeah. It was definitely real. It was definitely not planned, but you let 50 Cent know that I’m doing a bunch of push-ups and pull-ups, and I’m getting strong, and the next time he is going down!

You faced a lot of adversity while you were on the show: you had a friend’s death, then you had a photo-shoot that involved death, and you burned your face with a curling iron. How did find the strength to go on facing those obstacles.

I got through it. I hope you guys are proud of me. I really focused on being a good example and persevering through hard times. I mean I’m a really positive person, and it’s not the first time in my life that things have happened to me. It’s just that this time it’s been in the public eye.

Right, and you’re on television 24 hours a day doing that stuff—the recording.

Yeah! I was focused on setting a good example for people, you know. I want to empower women to be strong and make it through hard times.

I think you were a fine example there.

Thank you so much.

We heard a lot about your speaking voice, and that you didn’t come off as being articulate. Could you change the way you speak, and is that something you’d even want to do?

Well, can you understand me?

I am understanding you, and I’ll tell you I was worried. [laughs] Have you been working on it?

When you have video cameras around you 24/7, you get a little bit nervous, so you may talk a little bit faster than normal. [laughs]

So, you don’t see that as a problem?

No, because everybody I know speaks Jael.

What happened during your Aussie CoverGirl commercial that it required so many takes, and how many takes was it?

I don’t remember how many takes it was, but I’ll tell you it was a lot because I tried really, really hard, and, you know, it was just out of my character, and I wasn’t able to pull it off. I did my best and really suck at impersonating an Aussie accent, and I hope I didn’t offend anybody.

Well, if you did, too bad. [both laugh]

Tyra commented that you looked like an anarchist making fun of being a Cover Girl. What did you think of that comment?

I was honored. I was honored she said such a thing because that made me a lot stronger than I was, because I really did try to pull it off, and I didn’t. Her saying that empowered me much more.

By your own admission, you are a complex person. Were you too complex, do you think, to have won America’s Next Top Model?

I think every girl on that show won America’s Next Top Model—20,000 girls auditioned for that show. We made it to the top 13, so I think we’re all winners.

What was your favorite photo-shoot?

My favorite photo-shoot was the anarchist photo-shoot. [laughs]

That would be the Four Personalities one?

Yeah, because I got to choose my own personalities, and I think I was really creative and portrayed myself very well.

You were called out first on that one. Those were all really strong personality traits. Do you think you had trouble bringing out your vulnerable side?

I don’t know. Didn’t you see me cry all the time?

I did see that, but I remember Twiggy saying for photo-shoots wanting to see your vulnerable side.

Well, I think I showed that in my innocence in my first photo-shoot and also with my falling-pose shoot. I think I definitely showed vulnerability, and I showed it throughout the show just being myself, and attempting to do the commercial and all of that. So, she didn’t see any of that because she wasn’t hanging out with me.

What was your least favorite shoot?

Probably the CSI death photo-shoot because it was way too soon after my friend passed away for me to do, and I’m really glad that I pulled through and did my best.

What do you think will be remembered as your “Memorable Moment” on America’s Next Top Model?

Well, I hope to be remembered as somebody who was true to themselves, and empowered people to be positive and be happy, and keep the peace. I know all of this sounds kind of hippy, but I really, truly believe that we can all come together and make this world a better place.

What are your plans for the future, and do they involve modeling?

I definitely will continue to model, but I’d like to do things that are more artistic and not mainstream. I plan on doing my own reality TV show, and it’s going to involve a lot of music and underground artists and indie.

Are you serious?

Yeah, I’m serious!

Okay, I was just making sure you’re not messing with me.

Unless you guys have had enough of me.

No, I thought you really brought a lot of entertainment to the show. It’s not going to be the same now. [laughs]

That’s okay. I’ll just have another show, and I’ll have all those girls on my show.

As “the spreader of light,” do you have any final thoughts you’d like to leave with us today?

I would definitely love to continue to spread the light, and I like to pass it on to others. I’d like for everybody to join up and be strong and be yourself no matter what. I know what it’s like to be outcast, and you’re all alone.

They showed you with kind of random statements you’d say every now and again. Were those taken out of context, or is that just you?

You know, everything that you saw me do, I did. It was a possibility.

It almost made you look a little spacey at times.

Well, I guess I can be spacey at times because I have a lot of emotions, and a lot of thoughts, and very observant and accepting of everything that goes around me, and I know that’s a rare being. I try to be really positive.

Do you think the judges “got” you?

No, I don’t think the judges spent enough time with me to actually have an accurate account of who I am. Hopefully, in the future when they watch the show, they’ll see things that they didn’t know about me.

Have you watched all the shows?

I’ve watched most of them.

Is there anything else you’d like say?

I’d just like to thank all my fans and everybody that supported me, and I hope I accurately portrayed a good idol for all the misfits in the world.

You were great; I’m really going to miss you on the show.

Aw, well you’ll see me again. Thank you so much!

Congratulations on making it as far as you did, and best of luck in the future, Jael!

Thank you so much!

Many thanks to CW and Jael for this interview opportunity!
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 04-23-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Re: America’s Next Top Model 8: Interview with Jael, 4/19/07

Great interview! Jael grew on me a lot actually now.

I definitely will continue to model, but I’d like to do things that are more artistic and not mainstream. I plan on doing my own reality TV show, and it’s going to involve a lot of music and underground artists and indie.
    anyone heard more about this?

ouch!

Americas Next Top Model 9 Cookiez's Avatar

Nice interview SV!

Jael is really...wierd.

I dont believe she's 5'11.

I don’t remember how many takes it was, but I’ll tell you it was a lot because I tried really, really hard, and, you know, it was just out of my character, and I wasn’t able to pull it off. I did my best and really suck at impersonating an Aussie accent, and I hope I didn’t offend anybody.
    It's cool that she didn't try to make excuses about it and just admitted that she couldn't pull it off.

She seems to think alot of herself.

FORT Fogey

I didn't understand that. Downstairs? Huh? And what was the "falling-pose shoot" Jael mentioned? Wasn't that...cycle 6? lol

But I will miss Jael so much. As she left and her portfolio went by, I just thought to myself, "don't go!"

That was a real serious case of 'you don't know what you have untill it's gone.'

Well that was an interesting interview. lol.

God I love this girl. She's so positive and beautiful. Such a great soul, even if she does do some eye-popping things sometimes.

Can't wait to see her reality show. And hopefully she does try to model too. Her face is so amazing.

And hell no we haven't had enough of you, Jael! At least, I haven't. You're much too awesome!
    "It's a little sick and twisted, which is kind of like me." - A.J., America's Next Top Model
    "Oh yeah, I have a nerdy moment in my life everyday." - Jael, America's Next Top Model
    "You are NOT allowed to enter me, but you may hang out with us now through this token from your past." - Adrianne, Celebrity Paranormal Project

Quote Originally Posted by Maxam;2340666;
    I didn't understand that. Downstairs? Huh? And what was the falling photoshoot Jael mentioned? Wasn't that...cycle 6? lol
    It's likely something Whitney would only understand, although I doubt its as negative as it sounds. Whitney did say that she was close to Jael in the house.

I believe the "falling" photo-shoot was the re-enactment of Rebecca's fainting. With the Whitney comment, it seemed to be a private joke between them. She sounded amused when she said it.

Sounds like she is saying she is going to h e double hockey sticks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-20-2007, 12:01 PM
  2. 04-20-2007, 11:20 AM
  3. 04-20-2007, 11:04 AM
  4. 04-20-2007, 02:52 AM
  5. 04-20-2007, 02:29 AM