Thread: Jaslene - Cycle 8

Re: Jaslene - Cycle 8

Quote Originally Posted by LedZepForever;2779562;
    No, she was half Mexican.
    Tyra also went along with Jaslene's whole "first latina ANTM" thing.
    It's one of the things I dislike about ANTM.
    ANTM loves to categorize and stereotype people.
    Yoanna and Naima may not look like the typical Latina girls, but it is their heritage.
    Meanwhile, they go on about Jaslene being the "first Latina ANTM" when there have been previous Latina winners even if they don't walk around labeling themselves as the "cha-cha diva."
    I think the same as you, if you see back in cycle 2 and the reunion Yoanna love her roots, in the go sees in Milan she mention that she is half mexican and in the reunion show u can listen her talking in spanish with her mom and family and she mentioned she is very attached to her roots...

Youre right saying tyra stereotype people, because are very different types of latin people in the world, NOT all are like Jaslene, i mean of course Jaslene is a beautiful and talented girl, but what people says about she is the representation of the latin people, in a full way, makes me think she just represent the stereotypical latin population, like the character Cha Cha Di Grigorio in the movie grease, that is sometimes an exageration...

But oh well thats just my opinion, of course i wish her all the luck and best things in the fashion world...

Here's Jaslene at an event for Essence Magazine with Tyra on the cover. She looks gorgeous. Talk about glowing. Dionne looks good too, she does look like a model even though she hasn't been doing so much modeling work.

"Trust me, you'll not forget about me. You will see this face"
    -Fatima.

Jas looks wonderful, and I love Dionne too.
    Why is it boys talk so much, when they have nothing to say? And girls have plenty to say, but no one will listen?
    --Vada Sultenfuss

Jaslene looks good at the Essence event, but her face in the shot with Brown and Whitelle looks interesting.
    omg, stunning~*~.

Oh I love Dionne !

FORT Newbie

you all have prob seen this video, Curtis Davis styles Lot 29 Campaign (since i just joined it wont let me put the link) . I found it on youtube. i just saw it. but does anyone know when the pictures will come out.

Quote Originally Posted by LedZepForever;2779516;
    One thing I noticed was ever since the beginning , Jaslene made a whole big deal about being "the first latina to win ANTM."

But Yoanna and Naima were both part Mexican.
    Just something I noticed.
    It's true that Yoanna was half Mexican, but I'm guessing that her mother's ancestors were mostly, if not entirely, of Spanish descent rather than being a mix of Spanish and the Native Peoples of Mexico.

Historically, the light-skinned Spanish Mexicans have had a lot more privilege than those of mixed race or only indigenous ancestry. I can see where people are coming from when they say that Jaslene is the first Latina winner, because she's the first one who represents the group that has been traditionally more oppressed and who has the skin color most people associate with being Latina.

I hope that's not offensive, because I mean it in a supportive way. I think it's easy for people who aren't familiar with some of the political issues to brush off the differences from the perspective of those who experience them.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by muchacho99;2781673;
    you all have prob seen this video, Curtis Davis styles Lot 29 Campaign (since i just joined it wont let me put the link) . I found it on youtube. i just saw it. but does anyone know when the pictures will come out.
    This has nothing to do with your being new. If you read our rules you will see that links to You Tube or any other videos are not allowed here.

Yeah, I think of Jaslene as the first Latina winner. Yoanna is only part Latina, and Naima is part Mexican but she's also part Irish, part black, part magical elf, part worst winner, so she doesn't really count.

I saw this picture and Jaslene does look good. All three of them in the group shot look striking as well. Jaslene is looking more and more like a young Janice Dickerson.