Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ANTM7 Ep. 9 Recap: The Racist in Spain Stays Mainly on the Plain

That was a great recap.

Made by Envy of FORT kurishinigami's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dara;2149211;
    Why do you think they chose not to show him saying that?
    Probably didn't want him to offend people watching the show you know?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeDingo;2147325;
    Right. I understood what Tyra meant to say, but her Spanish phrasing is (apparently) awful.

That said, the online translators could just suck and Tyra was right all along. But I prefer to think that an automatic machine is smarter than Tyra banks.
    Su espaŮol no tiene nada de malo, y te lo digo yo que soy de Uruguay. Which means, that there's nothing bad about her spanish, it's way better than the girls ones, and i'm saying it, that i'm from Uruguay.

Those translators everywhere on the internet just dont work. they just translate the words, without figuring out the meaning or the tense if its a verb. for example, i wanna say, "i went out for fresh air". It translates to spanish as: "Sali afuera para tomar aire". However, if i put that phrase in spanish in a translator, what will pop up is: "I go out to drink air". The thing is that tomar is also translated as drink here, so, the translator does not figure out the meaning.

As to "cuando te sientas mal toma un viaje" it does mean, "when you are feeling bad, take a trip". So i dont see anything wrong with that.
    bring janice back. now.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar;2147095;
    After reading the recap, I have to wonder if the guy was a plant, too. I can't imagine that there was so little indignation in the judging room. I know there's a lot edited out, but I can't fathom that their response to Jaeda was basically to suck it up and deal.

I did read in the Economist in the recent past that there are serious issues with rascism in several European Union countries. It just turns my stomach, wherever it occurs.
    My take on this is that it may have been a test to see if the models could be professional even in adversity. You know Tyra must have met with such adversity but still she takes it in stride, don't take it personally, and does her job. Even Twiggy met with adversity in the 60s from many of the Asian countries. You know the guys have had their fill of racism being gay and/or African American but they are professionals and you don't get ahead if you fall apart whenever you hear a negative remark. Jaeda wasn't dating or marrying the guy, only working with him on a 10 minute shoot. Her goals should have taken presidence over emotions.

This is what the fledgeling models have to learn. It is NOT peaches and cream everywhere and there will be bigots (as well as other haters) and you can't let this sway of shake you. Jaeda let her emotions get the best of her and that's why the Judges didn't take the racism into consideration.

I'm African American and I would not have let this little twit ruin my chances for a supermodel contract and I would have lip locked him like he was my most intimate lover if it meant I would ace the challenge. You can't let adversity impede your goals. A strong and costly lesson, Jaeda had to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by madeboxer;2150290;
    My take on this is that it may have been a test to see if the models could be professional even in adversity. You know Tyra must have met with such adversity but still she takes it in stride, don't take it personally, and does her job. Even Twiggy met with adversity in the 60s from many of the Asian countries. You know the guys have had their fill of racism being gay and/or African American but they are professionals and you don't get ahead if you fall apart whenever you hear a negative remark. Jaeda wasn't dating or marrying the guy, only working with him on a 10 minute shoot. Her goals should have taken presidence over emotions.

This is what the fledgeling models have to learn. It is NOT peaches and cream everywhere and there will be bigots (as well as other haters) and you can't let this sway of shake you. Jaeda let her emotions get the best of her and that's why the Judges didn't take the racism into consideration.

I'm African American and I would not have let this little twit ruin my chances for a supermodel contract and I would have lip locked him like he was my most intimate lover if it meant I would ace the challenge. You can't let adversity impede your goals. A strong and costly lesson, Jaeda had to learn.

what bothered me is, NachoTheUgly was supposed to help his partner speak the language. He refused to help her, and she later said he actually got up and left the table for like 15 minutes. So I can understand how Jaeda could have been expected to brush off his nasty offensive behavior, but how could she learn the language by herself?

great recap!!
    "Man is Elyse [top model] ever thin. Makes me want to go to the gym. Right after I eat my sandwich." - Giz
    "Every time you donít buy CoverGirl cosmetics, Jesus cries" - SnowflakeGirl
    "And I'm also tired of people saying "OMG I'LL NEVER WATCH AGAIINNN". Come on now. ANTM is cocaine and you are the lindsay lohans who crave it" - queenegoist

Quote Originally Posted by CourtneyLove;2150468;
    what bothered me is, NachoTheUgly was supposed to help his partner speak the language. He refused to help her, and she later said he actually got up and left the table for like 15 minutes. So I can understand how Jaeda could have been expected to brush off his nasty offensive behavior, but how could she learn the language by herself?

great recap!!
    You've made a good point. However, instead of moping about how he didn't help her and knowing how he felt and that he possibly was attempting sabatage, she needed to be resourceful and find someone else to help her learn her lines or let the powers that be know that he was an obstruction and that another translator would be needed. Models have the think on their feet.

Quote Originally Posted by madeboxer;2150643;
    You've made a good point. However, instead of moping about how he didn't help her and knowing how he felt and that he possibly was attempting sabatage, she needed to be resourceful and find someone else to help her learn her lines or let the powers that be know that he was an obstruction and that another translator would be needed. Models have the think on their feet.

the girls on the show can't even leave the room unless a camera is following them. To hope she can find someone else in the room (despite none of the other girls offering to trade with her) who can help with this unfamiliar language, or to suggest that was her obvious step is a little cruel....

I blame Ty Ty.
    "Man is Elyse [top model] ever thin. Makes me want to go to the gym. Right after I eat my sandwich." - Giz
    "Every time you donít buy CoverGirl cosmetics, Jesus cries" - SnowflakeGirl
    "And I'm also tired of people saying "OMG I'LL NEVER WATCH AGAIINNN". Come on now. ANTM is cocaine and you are the lindsay lohans who crave it" - queenegoist

I'm not completely insane quanahg's Avatar
    one of the funniest recaps ever. the line about melrose's roots, "she is giving kunta kinte"....dayum funny. i read it like 5 times in a row cause it was so funny.

i love tasha smith, i think she should act more. she was really good on Boston Common, (although i think i was the only person who watched that show).
    be kind to me, or treat me mean. i'll make the most of it, i'm an extraordinary machine. (Fiona Apple)

As Always... Great Recap!

FORT Newbie
    Unfortunately, from all accounts that kind of racism isn't that uncommon in Spain. I haven't been there myself, but when an English or French football team plays there with black players in their team, the crowd make monkey noises every time those players touch the ball

The coach of the national soccer team even went on Public Television calling French player Thierry Henry something like 'the f#$%king black piece of s#!t' :nono

So in the light of that, a model saying straight out that he doesn't like black girls doesn't surprise me Sad.....

Fantastic recap Snowflakegirl - It is way more enjoyable than actually watching the episodes.

(btw is anyone getting a wee bit sick of Tyra She manages to make everything about herself)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234