Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Is ANTM going downhill?

FORT Fan
    Granted I haven't watched the Top Model shows from other countries in a while now; but I always seem to get the feeling that ANTM totally shies away from high-fashion modeling, where other countrie's Top Model shows really embrace the concept. Is it an audience-relatability issue, or simply a struggle to come up with fresh ideas? I don't know. Would I really care if they rehash the same photoshoot season after season? Probably not, as every cycle's girls are different, so you're going to get different results. (Then again, maybe I'm not the average audience.) This last photoshoot could have easily been done via hanging wires (a la Superhero or highwire in building from previous cycles); but no, they had to use anti-gravity fans just for the sake of being different. I seriously doubt most real-life modeling jobs would be this involved...

... And I think this is the downfall of recent cycles -- they stopped being realistic. Most of us look back on the first few cycles fondly, because they looked like real jobs. I feel sorry for the girls who don't win this cycle and have to use these photos as their portfolio pics -- they're a joke.

I think Tyra tries to make it look like she's looking for good models, but somewhere the producer in her picks some drama queens as well. I think the cotestants of the first two cycles were chosen for the modelling potential, after that some girls were chosen to spice up the drama.

Here's a tip Tyra; if you put 13 women in one house, there's bound to be drama anyways, we really don't need the drama queens. The first cycle had good drama even though the girls were chosen for their modelling potential. Tyra tried to spice things up by putting the all in one room, which is more than enough, but the latest idea, not enough beds, is just ridiculous.

So even if they cast the girls with the most potential drama is bound to happen, and it's not forced. (Because we must all admit that we do like some drama, I know I do, but not when it's taking over the entire show)

Plus more high fashion shoots are needed! That's all there is to say about that.

I haAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAte covergirl and anything commercial with a passion. I want only high fashion. I bet even the general public wants to see high fashion. Commerical shoots are boring and stupid.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeto;2141365;
    I haAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAte covergirl and anything commercial with a passion. I want only high fashion. I bet even the general public wants to see high fashion. Commerical shoots are boring and stupid.
    This may be up for debate; but CW by default is not high-fashion. Heck, network TV is by default not high-fashion... CNN used to be high-fashionish when they had Style With Elsa Klensch; and even then it was half an hour couple of times on the weekends... Then they got rid of her. So I don't know if the general public really want to see high-fashion...

Quote Originally Posted by HansN;2140825;
    come on!
    Cycle 6 was a good cycle!
    I can't believe what you guys are saying? It had great photoshoots, JADE, lots of drama and they went to Thailand, a original and cool place to go (one of my classmates from gradeschool is modeling in Thailand).

Cycle 5 was stupid, and I think that cycle 7 is starting to loose itself..
    I think Cycle 4 was the worst ever, the girls, Naima, L.A., the house, the photoshoots, everything! Cycle 6 was all about JADE! It would be flat without her.

To The CW: Bring back N.Y.!
    "My head is big, for real? You look like a bratz doll." Bianca, Cycle 9

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeto;2141365;
    I don't think commerical shoots are boring and stupid when part of the prize is a commercial contract. The girls do need to show that they can do commercials, which Tyra pointed out to CariDee at elimination.

It's been going downhill since Cycle 3

Since Cycle 3 it's kinda been going downhill. Cycle 4 and 7 have been the weakest ones of all to me. The antics of Lisa and the Kim lesbian thing made C5. Jade made C6. Just imagine if that racist Dani would have made the cut in Cycle 6.
    Plus they seem to have gone to have more younger girls in the house which is makes it seem more insecure and boring. The older girls such as Jade and Melrose make the house seem more interesting. And to me the first cycles were about girls who could actually be high fashion models instead of girls who are just being a spokesperson for Covergirl. Going for Elle to Seventeen is a major dropoff too.

I think the worst two cycles were four and five, mainly due to the poor casting. The complete lack of talent was so apparent, I even felt slightly embarrassed whenever I saw the girls standing together. I stopped watching for a while, but then discovered beautiful girls in six (Mollie Sue, Nnenna, Brooke, Sara, Jade) and seven (AJ, Anchal, Jaeda, Michelle, Amanda). As for photo shoots, I think ANTM has always been pretty consistent -- ly ridiculous, but oh well!

This cycle was boring in the beginning, but now i like it a lot, what i don't like are the SHOOTS, they're just TV rating like wobbly catwalk, cyrcus, celebrities, that's not high fashion, in my opinion only the hair wars and maybe the skydiving are high fashion, where are that awesome shoots like the nude painting cycle 1, the B&W couple shoot cycle 2, that amazing spider shoot in cycle 3.......?

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2140839;
    I think Tyra tries to make it look like she's looking for good models, but somewhere the producer in her picks some drama queens as well. I think the cotestants of the first two cycles were chosen for the modelling potential, after that some girls were chosen to spice up the drama.

Here's a tip Tyra; if you put 13 women in one house, there's bound to be drama anyways, we really don't need the drama queens. The first cycle had good drama even though the girls were chosen for their modelling potential. Tyra tried to spice things up by putting the all in one room, which is more than enough, but the latest idea, not enough beds, is just ridiculous.

So even if they cast the girls with the most potential drama is bound to happen, and it's not forced. (Because we must all admit that we do like some drama, I know I do, but not when it's taking over the entire show)

Plus more high fashion shoots are needed! That's all there is to say about that.

ITA. I was watching season 1 on Vh1 and even though they didnt have the highest production value for that season I think the photoshoots were very well executed and all the girls had great potential.