Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Is ANTM going downhill?

This is my punk face ;) NiteElfGen's Avatar
    I do feel the quality is getting bad. Its most tyra being stupid and odd challeges. The eliminations are getting kinda bad, and the winners don't impress me.

I don't want this to be the last season, but i hope they get realistic. And they need to hire new editors, i hate knowing who gets elimated within the 1st few minutes of the episode.

FORT Regular
    Agree strongly with Megafan, the product placements are so tacky. Yes, the show has to make some money, but the show should be the end, not the means.

I think the show has gone way downhill since cycle 5 and it doesnt really have anything to do with Janice leaving, I dont find the contestants are as likeable and the overall cycle's are very forgetable I remember cycles 1 through 4 way better than I remember what happened in cycle 5.
    I think they need to do better and more realistic casting and stop casting plus sized girls unless they are going to let them win.
    And I hate how they play on a girl's bitchyness or the fact that they might be bi or are gay. It is really getting annoying I dont care about that stuff.
    I think cycle 2 and 4 were by far the best 3 was pretty good and 1 was enjoyable but you could tell they didnt have a very big budget.
    I kinda liked cycle 5 I really thought they chose the best girl as the winner but the cycle in general was rather boring, and they made such a big deal over the Kim/Sarah thing it got on my nerves, even after the cycle Tyra had them on her show several times.
    Cycle 6 was okay but rather boring and alot of the photoshoots were rather dumb.
    The current cycle is ok so far I think they cast really great girls this time but all the unexpected and out of no where eliminations are getting annoying too.
    But again they are playing on the drama and the possibly gay girl again and like I just wanna see them model.

TKO
    To me this cycle in particular has gone really down hill from previous cycles. Like someone else said, none of the photos they've taken this cycle have any real value in a models portfolio and that's just plain ridiculous. At the very least, someone who makes it to the 5th or 6th elimination should have a couple good photos for their portfolio if they want to pursue modeling outside the show.

After watching the second season of AustNTM I wish they'd go more that route....girls who actually have a chance of being a top model in the industry like Gemma, and shoots where you could actually open up a magazine and find those photos.

I'm fine with the "drama" - that's to be expected because it's a reality show - they can play it up all they want, I just wished they'd get REAL with the fashion and the shoots!

As for the "unexpected eliminations" that so many are talking about - I don't really see how that is different from any other season. Every time I watch a new cycle I sit there half the time thinking "What on earth what were the judges thinking?"

I think we should start a letter writing campaign to Tyra about the show.
    "All I need is my freedom and a gun."

I'm still watching but I noticed I'm not enjoying the show the way I used to. Cycles 1 and 2 were the best ones. This cycle I hate the photoshoots, and the drama in the house is getting boring.

Moi
    I'm not enjoying this show nearly as much as I used to.

If I had to delineate the reasons, I'd say:

1. There's too much reliance on gimmicks in the challanges. Who cares if they can do weird dances, walk on stupidly dangerous shoes, striptease, etc. etc. That's not really core modelling. It's just gimmicks (kind of like Project Runway has become when they do challenges with weird materials. That's not really fashion, that's arts and crafts.

2. Keeping the bitch around just for what they stupidly think is entertainment value. It's not. It's just painful and frustrating to see girls who have genuine talent and potential eliminated before somebody whose only talent is being obnoxious.

3. Pictures of Tyra ALL OVER THE PLACE. Geeeze. That is so boring now. It gets worse every season.

4. To many of the girls they select for the finals really are never going to make it as models and everybody knows it from the outset. They strive too much for a diverse group rather than a talented one. By diverse, I mean age, race, height, weight, experience, etc. etc. The worst problem here is that the finalists they pick are generally far too old to make it as a top model.

5. And my really pet peeve, is the prejudice against fair-skinned blondes that they have consistently demonstrated during the entire course of the show.

How can they remedy all this?

The main thing is to concentrate on genuine modeling. Show us more of what actually goes into learning to be a top model. Forget all the house drama. Who cares? We see enough of that on every other reality show. it's wearing very thin now. Go into more detail on makeup, walk, posing for pictures -- everything that true modeling is about. Just show us how that is done and the show would be much more interesting.

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Team Renee//Team Sarah// DreamOf1000Cats's Avatar
    I think the cycles are totally dependant on the girls who get casted.

Cycle's 4 and 5 were the worst because of that. 7 isn't all that great either.

FORT Regular
    And it's not just that they play on the bitches' bitchiness, it's that they do lame reality tv manipulations to artificially make them argue - like not having enough beds in the beginning. If you put 13 young women in a house together, they're going to argue anyway. They're already forced to choose friends and sides as part of the modelling competition bit - so don't insult our intelligence by throwing stupid curves into their domestic life and hoping we'll wet ourselves with excitement when an obviously orchestrated argument swells into a bit of shouting, and the fast-cut direction pretends something important is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by AKat;2126011;
    I'm not enjoying this show nearly as much as I used to.

If I had to delineate the reasons, I'd say:

1. There's too much reliance on gimmicks in the challanges. Who cares if they can do weird dances, walk on stupidly dangerous shoes, striptease, etc. etc. That's not really core modelling. It's just gimmicks (kind of like Project Runway has become when they do challenges with weird materials. That's not really fashion, that's arts and crafts.

2. Keeping the bitch around just for what they stupidly think is entertainment value. It's not. It's just painful and frustrating to see girls who have genuine talent and potential eliminated before somebody whose only talent is being obnoxious.

3. Pictures of Tyra ALL OVER THE PLACE. Geeeze. That is so boring now. It gets worse every season.

4. To many of the girls they select for the finals really are never going to make it as models and everybody knows it from the outset. They strive too much for a diverse group rather than a talented one. By diverse, I mean age, race, height, weight, experience, etc. etc. The worst problem here is that the finalists they pick are generally far too old to make it as a top model.

5. And my really pet peeve, is the prejudice against fair-skinned blondes that they have consistently demonstrated during the entire course of the show.

How can they remedy all this?

The main thing is to concentrate on genuine modeling. Show us more of what actually goes into learning to be a top model. Forget all the house drama. Who cares? We see enough of that on every other reality show. it's wearing very thin now. Go into more detail on makeup, walk, posing for pictures -- everything that true modeling is about. Just show us how that is done and the show would be much more interesting.

I couldn't agree with you more, especially with the challenges. The photoshoots irk me as well. But I think what's really bothering me is the fact that there ARE few (like 1 or 2) per cycle that do actually look like models and they're just kicked to the curb because of their lack of...hmm, how shall Tyra put it? Ah yes, lack of desire, or "versatility" and any other of her numerous excuses that she keeps making up just to boot off the girls that she doesn't want. I really want to say more but I just can't...for now.
    True love comes in quietly, without banners or flashing lights. She is your sanity in a world full of madness. True love is not how grand you are or how simple you are, but's who you are with her and she loves you not in spite of it, but because of it. She is the one that stands with you, when the rest of the world falls down.

FORT Fogey
    In a word, yes, the show's going downhill and downmarket really fast. You see photoshoots from the Top model shows outside of the U.S. and it's almost embarrasing that "America's" show focuses on such juvenile premises, shock shoots, cheap setups and stupid manufactured "drama."

Here's an idea: Do four photoshoots and episode, make them all high quality and get rid of all the stupid challenges and formulaic "reality" stunts. Accept and judge the models on actual potential. Stop playing to the lowest common denominator.