Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: Is ANTM going downhill?

FORT Newbie

Re: Is ANTM going downhill?

Well I suppose you could argue it either way, but to a huge extent I agree that ANTM is going downhill.

If you think about it like this-

Cycle 1 - Modelesque girls, on a budget, realistic, amazing photoshoots (beauty shots with snakes, totally European) and fantastic destination (Paris is actually a fashion capital unlike some places the girls have been).

Cycle 2 - Mostly very good girls, less generalisable to the fashion industry but probably the best bunch of photoshoots ever. Milan, well what can I say really? Probably one of the best winners (imo).

Cycle 3 - A complete joke. Mediocre photoshoots (some were really good, like the first shoot on the rocks and the Japanese phone shoot, but some really sucked like the double persona on a car) and abismal girls. I think Tyra really sums it up by saying in the pinultimate episode that she can't see any of them being america's next top model. Having said that, it was the most entertaining cycle ("I'M ON THE PHONNNENEEEEEEEEE!!!" and "Don't ever touch my brownies!", not forgetting the little shoving match next to the ironing board), but I'm of the mind that top model should actually be about modeling and not america's next top comedian.

Cycle 4 - Alright, some very, very good girls and some pretty poor ones too. However, some of the most amazing shots ever (Zodiac signs = genius and seven deadly sins = fabulous). However, almost biggest robbery ever (second only to Jenah by Saleisha) of winner - Kahlen stood out as far, far superior. Not nearly as poor as Cycle 3 though.

Cycle 5 - Well, I never really know what to make of cycle 5. It was just... weird. With all the lesbianism and red bull I can barely remember the actual modeling, all I know is that Nicole was increadibly high fashion, it's a shame we never heard of her again, after the show was through. The whole thing was cringey though, from start to finish with all the meltdowns.

Cycle 6 - A glimmer of actual top model potential again. Contestants like Mollie-Sue, Joannie, Nnenna and even Danielle, proved that there was still model potential out there. The photoshoots were average with some good ones in there (like the mermaid episode). However, the order of elimination sucked completely with Nnenna and Mollie-Sue being eliminated way before their time and contestants like Jade being kept around for the entertainment factor. A markable improvement on 3, 4 and 5 though.

Cycle 7 - Cycle 7 was alright, probably not as good as cycle 6 but still much better than the previous three. Caridee was probably not the best winner, with the twins and Melrose consistantly out performing her, but there was some strong potential and some pretty amazing shoots (water shoot in Spain).

Cycle 8 - I really don't understand everyone's beef with this cycle. I admit the order of elimination was absurd but some of the best girls came about because of it (Natasha, Jaslene, Brittany and Renee). Also there were some phonomenal shoots here aswell (bikini shoot in Aus and death photoshoot) with some catastrophic ones (four sides of one girl shoot). On par with cycle 7, but no were near the standard of cycle 2.

Cycle 9 - Cycle 9 had the potential to be the best cycle yet, if the final three had been Jenah, Lisa and Heather. But because of rediculous eliminations and shocking reasons behind them, this cycle goes down in my estimation.

So it really depends on how you look at it, in my mind the flow of cycles goes something like this:

/\
    __/ \ /\___/
    \____/
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

showing that top model isn't deteriortating, it's just reached its peak and is trying hard to get back up there.

Who knows how cycle 10 will turn out? So far, so good though.
    "...check your thighs in the mirror. And I'm done." - Bianca, Cycle 9.

I don't think ANTM is going down, I think ANTM is always reinventing itself and finding new and exciting things to do, and lets face it, its still one of the hottest shows there is, so as far as being a show, ANTM is growing and becoming everday.

However, ANTM has lost MUCH of it's credibility as far as being a fashion, modeling competition for me. ANTM is not looking for the best models(i wont even use the term top model), but rather, role models. Cycle 1-3 were the top series by far, they featured Baby Phat, which is huge, they did the Dsquared fashion show which was by far the most amazing designers they had on the show, Marc Jacobs also did the Go Sees challenge in cycle 3, and those three labels are the most prestigious that have made an appearance on ANTM. Not to knock down the other designers from the other cycles, but not many of them are well known alot of the fashion shows the had Cycle 4+ were all fake. I will say that alot of big names have made appearances in Cycles 4-9, i.e. Sue Wong, Victorio & Lucchino, Iman, etc etc. But the appearances were all brief from then on.

To me, Cycle1-3 we're more realistic in every aspect compared to the others...aside from the fake fashion shows, the show starting showing double standards and favoritism and just became a hot mess. Eva in cycle 3 "lost respect" from Tyra for crying in front of the panel during the whole Ann/Norelle/Eva conflict, while the cycle's now pretty much applaud every girl who cries in front of panel. Robin from cycle 1 was considered plus size, and she is NO where near as big as the other plus sizes to make it on the show now...not to mention, Tocarra, who will always in my heart be the ONLY plus size worthy of being on the show, was practically the only plus size who had to really compete and made it with her own talents and not by favoritism. Tocarra didn't have clothes prepared for her, she did not get the same level of respect from the designers, she did not have clothes that fit for her photoshoot/challenges (they made her weaer a dinky orange shirt cause that was all they have for her in one photoshoot, and they gave her robe to model in another since they had no lingerie really in her size). To me, Tocarra really had to struggle and make it on her own, whereas the other plus size models took awful pictures, got pampered the whole way through on easy street. To me, there was just a huge gap difference in fairness.

ANTM is an amazing phenomenon, but it is not credible to the fashion industry. I believe that all the contestants on ANTM can be successful, working models, but none of them are gonna be no where near the top models of today.

I always thought the first three cycles were the best. They were the most realistic and had very good photoshoots. Cycle 3 has always been my fav, especiallly since Yaya was in it

I think it is true that ANTM is going downhill in a sense. Anyone can see that the focus is no longer on finding haute couture models who could actually work in the business, starting as far back as C3, when CoverGirl was introduced as a sponsor. CoverGirl, it must be said, is about as far from high fashion as bicycles are from the motor industry - I really have nothing good to say about that particular brand of makeup. Conversely, in C2, part of the price package was a contract with Sephora ... a makeup and perfume store which carries some very high-end brands (e.g., Christian Dior, Chanel, Givenchy). After CG started its sponsoring, things quickly deteriotated, coming to a head in C7 when Elle(Girl) left for Seventeen magazine. Being that Seventeen really is marketed toward pre-teens - girls who more likely than not can not afford high fashion in any incarnation - it is only natural that the focus on modelling was rendered increasingly null and that the focus instead seemed to be on role models. The show itself became more "camp" and cheaply entertaining, Tyra cared less and less about the girls, etc.

Of course, it is difficult to say how to interpret "downhill". From a modelling perspective, the show has absolutely jumped the shark. The few girls who could legitimately model are now chastised for not being good role models and eloquent speakers, and are subsequently kicked off the show. Far from the quiet brilliance of the photoshoots in C1 and C2, the photographs produced in the photoshoots of, say, C5 and onward have no place in any real model's portfolio. Brands are scarcely modelled, and even when they are, they are low-end brands, such as Payless Shoe Source or the perennial horror of CoverGirl makeup.

From the perspective of what makes good reality television, however, the show has not gone downhill at all. Everything - the ridiculous photoshoots, the judging and elimination process, the challenges and competitions, the house the girls live in and food/sleep/telephone circumstances, Tyra's hamming for the camera - is primed for causing as much drama as possible. This is not at all optimal for trying to find a good model - how could it be, if you eliminate the most modellesque contestant over the one who causes the most drama? - but it makes for some damn good TV for casual viewers who aren't invested in the modelling industry and subsequently don't care whether the show whittles the girls down to find a real model. I can bet you anything that the number of viewers has increased ten-fold since the more toned down cycles one and two, and viewing it like that, the show has gone way uphill, and not downhill at all.

I still want to add that watching the show from the "modelling perspective", I want to give the producers props for the improvements in cycle 10. It's not perfect yet - it's not even up to the standard of the first two cycles - but you can tell that they've taken at least some of the criticisms to heart and are trying to correct the problems of the show. Hopefully, in cycle 11 - which will be the first cycle produced after they've heard all the rioting re. Scandaleisha - things will be even better. They're really trying, I think.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by tove0wnzj00;2867459;
    Of course, it is difficult to say how to interpret "downhill". From a modelling perspective, the show has absolutely jumped the shark. The few girls who could legitimately model are now chastised for not being good role models and eloquent speakers, and are subsequently kicked off the show. Far from the quiet brilliance of the photoshoots in C1 and C2, the photographs produced in the photoshoots of, say, C5 and onward have no place in any real model's portfolio. Brands are scarcely modelled, and even when they are, they are low-end brands, such as Payless Shoe Source or the perennial horror of CoverGirl makeup.

From the perspective of what makes good reality television, however, the show has not gone downhill at all. Everything - the ridiculous photoshoots, the judging and elimination process, the challenges and competitions, the house the girls live in and food/sleep/telephone circumstances, Tyra's hamming for the camera - is primed for causing as much drama as possible. This is not at all optimal for trying to find a good model - how could it be, if you eliminate the most modellesque contestant over the one who causes the most drama? - but it makes for some damn good TV for casual viewers who aren't invested in the modelling industry and subsequently don't care whether the show whittles the girls down to find a real model. I can bet you anything that the number of viewers has increased ten-fold since the more toned down cycles one and two, and viewing it like that, the show has gone way uphill, and not downhill at all.

I still want to add that watching the show from the "modelling perspective", I want to give the producers props for the improvements in cycle 10. It's not perfect yet - it's not even up to the standard of the first two cycles - but you can tell that they've taken at least some of the criticisms to heart and are trying to correct the problems of the show. Hopefully, in cycle 11 - which will be the first cycle produced after they've heard all the rioting re. Scandaleisha - things will be even better. They're really trying, I think.

Very well said tove0wnzj00! However, I have to say that every season they do have a speaking challenge, even in the first season (Adrienne's "passion" debacle). Now though, you're right, they do want a role model. Which is perhaps a reason why no mother has gone too far (save for Natasha) and why no former exotic dancers have gone too terribly far in the competition either no matter how awesome their pictures are!

ANTM always finds a way to out the plus-size girls, young mothers, and ex-strippers no matter how "fierce" they may be. :-p

FORT Newbie

Perhaps with Tyra being tired, a total revamp can be done and give the show back some of its luster.