Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ANTM writers on strike: story

The eyes says everything quangtran's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BLaNKoBoRiQuA View Post
    im confused, what is lisa doing up there?
    Lisa felt that she was mistreated during the show (her undeserved elimination and bringing up her mother to make her cry before leaving the house), so this is probably her way of saying "up your, Tyra".

I'm a straight guy! BLaNKoBoRiQuA's Avatar
    i know this isnt the lisa thread, but i have to say this. lisa was my favorite during cycle 5. but this behavior is turning me off. i think if she really wanted to "get back at tyra" is to push herself into being more sucessfull then the winner (which will be hard, nicole is on a role), but she needs to take controll of her own destiny instead of stiffling the ones of the other antm hopefulls.

Quote Originally Posted by quangtran View Post
    Lisa felt that she was mistreated during the show (her undeserved elimination and bringing up her mother to make her cry before leaving the house), so this is probably her way of saying "up your, Tyra".
    While it was extremely cool of Lisa to show up to support the show writers (who absolutely deserve union representation), wouldn't it be rather an ironic move on her part? Because if it was meant as an affront to Tyra for her perceived mistreatment, wouldn't it be more the writers' fault, since they are, as they themselves admit, the ones who shape the narratives for each episode. Tyra's not the one who sits through the thousands of hours of footage constructing character arcs...If she was portrayed poorly, it would really be the writers' doing!

Anyway, good on the writers. I've heard terrible stories of the mistreatment of non-union workers in reality television. I'll be following this story closely.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Team Renee//Team Sarah// DreamOf1000Cats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BLaNKoBoRiQuA View Post
    im confused, what is lisa doing up there?
    fame-whoring.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    While it was extremely cool of Lisa to show up to support the show writers (who absolutely deserve union representation), wouldn't it be rather an ironic move on her part? Because if it was meant as an affront to Tyra for her perceived mistreatment, wouldn't it be more the writers' fault, since they are, as they themselves admit, the ones who shape the narratives for each episode. Tyra's not the one who sits through the thousands of hours of footage constructing character arcs...If she was portrayed poorly, it would really be the writers' doing!

Anyway, good on the writers. I've heard terrible stories of the mistreatment of non-union workers in reality television. I'll be following this story closely.
    I was thinking the same thing about Lisa and the way she was edited.
    "Ann and Eva... That was just gay!" ~ Toccara

avy by martinique ANTM Mega Fan's Avatar
    Yay Lisa! Everytime I think I couldn't love her anymore she proves me wrong.
    "What it do, Shawty?"-Natasha Galkina

AMERICAS NEXT TOP MODEL
    FAN APPRECIATION DAY

August 11, 2006
    11am-1pm
    (1640 S. Sepulveda Blvd.Intersection of Santa Monica and Sepulveda Blvds. in West LA)

Meet your favorite former Top Model contestants, including Ebony Dont get it twisted! Taylor, Lisa DAmato and Giselle Samson.
    Get make-up tips and advice from the pros on how to maximize your model potential.

As many of you know, the writers of Americas Next Top Model went on strike on July 21, 2006 after our request for union recognition with the Writers Guild of America was refused. We have received a tremendous amount of support from both fiction and reality writers, including the writers of The Simpsons, Family Guy and King of the Hill. Most importantly, we have received tons of encouragement and Myspace friend requests from YOUthe loyal fans of Americas Next Top Model. Now, wed like to show our appreciation.

Come on out and meet former Top Model contestants and the shows writers, who will give you free tips on how to work your individual style. Also, meet our special celebrity guest a hissing cockroach from the cycle 6 Jared Gold runway show.

See you on the catwalk!

*As the writers of UPNs highest rated show, and the headlining show for the new CW network to launch September 20, 2006, the writers of Americas Next Top Model simply want to receive healthcare benefits, fair salaries, pensions, residuals and writers credits, the same benefits enjoyed by all of the other writers on our network.

www.myspace.com/topmodelunion

July 31, 2006

Writers Deserve Real Pay for Reality

Riddle: When are television writers not television writers? Answer: When they work on "America's Next Top Model." The producers of this reality show should erase this contradiction and recognize the men and women who write for the program as true writers. That means the writers should get the rights, privileges and pay accorded to scribes on other shows. Immediately.

The decision by the 12 writers on "America's Next Top Model" to go out on strike this month embodied something bigger than their own plight.

In the smallest sense, they are protesting the producers' refusal to grant them union representation.

In a larger sense, they represent all the writers who have been concocting confrontations and resolutions on almost every reality show since the genre took off in 2000 with the smash hit "Survivor."

This low-cost breed of show has since multiplied to fill difficult-to-program niches in network schedules. Audiences embraced many of the series based on the mistaken assumption that all the drama they were witnessing ("Gee, that 19-year-old wannabe Ford model waif from Arkansas sure can dish out lacerating, spur-of-the-moment comebacks!") was real.

Producers and networks profited. And in some cases profited some more. And in some cases, became epitomes of TV success.

Much of the networks' and producers' success-and lucre-was built on the backs of people who were writing scenes, and even feeding contestants lines. It's difficult to say with a straight face that what these creative talents did doesn't rise to the level of writing.

But there is one motivation that will lead a television executive to ignore such a blatant fact: greed. And that's what this is really about. Recognizing reality show writers as true writers would cost money.

In the case of "America's Next Top Model," executive producer Ken Mok is saying the question of unionizing the show's writers should be handled by The National Labor Relations Board. But that's just a misdirection play that will delay the writers' effort to get what they deserve.

He should give up that canard, let the writers unionize, and start sharing a bigger portion of the wealth the show is creating. Other reality show producers should follow his lead. Maybe they'll discover that doing the right thing leads to rewards greater than being able to boast about razor-thin production budgets.

Link

I'm a straight guy! BLaNKoBoRiQuA's Avatar
    is this a bad thing or a good thing?

...It's bad.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast