Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ANTM writers on strike: story

The eyes says everything quangtran's Avatar
    I would take the editors forever to sort through all the footage, so I think it's the writer's job to maps out the individual focus of each episode. This show is fond of creating character arcs. A lot of former contestants say that there are a lot of interesting stuff that we'll never see due to time.

FORT Fogey
    I agree with both of you, quangtran and Mr. Yes.

so why Tyra arranges the comtestants for Drama lesson?
    they are already actresses, arent they? lol

I was thinking what other things could the writers possibly have written and one of them is perhaps the lines Tyra said when she fainted. When she says her lines *awfully I might add* I'm like, "..." and then she faints and then I'm like, "!!!" not because she fainted but because she yelled, "Today you guys are gonna learn about acting! *Danielle : We're going where?!* Acting! Acting! Acting! That was faaaake~" in this annoying enthusiastic tone while the girls are like, "WTF!!!" when she got up. That was sooo stupid. And I laughed at Furonda too (She actually said : OMG, Tyra, please, please Tyra no!) and the other girls' looked kinda pissed. I felt bad afterwards but I still giggle over that moment. I might have to change my signature to that now.

Living in Reality

ANTM Writers on Strike

I'm proud of them for standing up for their rights!

Tyra has union coverage and so should the people slaving under her.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/living/15115324.htm

Ellen Gray | New reality: 'Top Model' writers go on strike
    PASADENA, Calif. - Producers of "reality" shows prefer to call their products "unscripted."

But some say that's a term that ignores the reality of shows like the CW's "America's Next Top Model," where a dozen writers went on strike last week, demanding the same kind of union protection their peers at fictionalized series already receive.

On Sunday afternoon, several of the strikers were at the Writers Guild of America's reception for the Television Critics Association, an annual networking event that ironically grew out of the 1988 writers' strike, when television writers sought to get their case before the nation's TV critics.

Here's how one of the "Top Model" writers, who calls himself Clint Catalyst (though the only Clint mentioned on a WGA list of participants was a Clint Green) described what he and his fellow strikers do:

"Our staff is split up into teams of two people each. What we then do is take about 240 hours of footage, watch that footage, and our job is to turn that footage into a 41-minute episode that is then delivered to an editor. It's delivered in the form of a script. We write a treatment or an outline. We choose, just as writers on other shows do, or novelists do... who the main characters are, and who the supporting cast is."

That sure sounds like writing to WGA spokesman Gabriel Scott, who said the Guild's been working for some time to bring in "reality" show writers, some 1,000 of whom have signed cards indicating they want to be represented by the union.

"There are writers on every reality show. And the most important thing to look at is that they are creating narrative structure. They are creating story points, character arcs, season arcs, individual episode arcs," Scott said, noting that the CW is using "Next Top Model" - expected to be one of its highest-rated shows - to launch itself as a network on Sept. 20.

(In a statement reported in yesterday's Daily Variety, the CW said that "we expect these issues to be resolved in the near future, and the show remains on track for its Sept. 20 launch on the CW.")

Though long hours aren't uncommon in TV writers' rooms, union-covered writers have a standardized minimum wage, pension benefits and health care, none of which applies to writers on "reality" shows, Scott said.

What's more, he said, many of the other show employees - including "Top Model" host and executive producer Tyra Banks - belong to unions.

Catalyst, while saying he couldn't comment on how his hours compared to those of writers on the CW's fictionalized shows, did say that he and his fellow strikers had previously "signed deal memos for a six-day work week."

"There are some potential overtime violations that are going on in the industry, obviously," said Scott.

Living in Reality
    Quote Originally Posted by quangtran View Post
    I would take the editors forever to sort through all the footage, so I think it's the writer's job to maps out the individual focus of each episode. This show is fond of creating character arcs. A lot of former contestants say that there are a lot of interesting stuff that we'll never see due to time.
    Most reality shows are not "scripted" in the traditional sense. Quangtran has it right, it is "shaping" the show by narrowing down the footage to what makes the best stories. Otherwise it would be like watching a bunch of boring home movies. Think of the writers and editors as a "storytelling team" and if you enjoy reality TV - be glad they exist!

Hey Lisa, what's up?

I'm a straight guy! BLaNKoBoRiQuA's Avatar
    i wanna tap lisa on the shoulder and say "uhm honey, what are you doing?"

FORT Fogey
    That was so sweet of Lisa to come up there, help with the protest, and even hold a 'walk-off contest' and give the winner something to help with their feet because they were walking so much.....how sweet...

I'm a straight guy! BLaNKoBoRiQuA's Avatar
    im confused, what is lisa doing up there?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast