Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tagged/credited pictures

Tagged/credited pictures

This has been happening a lot lately, and I want to clear up our rules.

If you post an image that is "tagged" with a url from another site, it WILL BE REMOVED, along with all replies to it.

If you post an image, and note that it came from another site or 'thanks to xxx', IT WILL BE REMOVED.

You may post uncredited, untagged images of contestants only.

Also, whenever posting images of any kind, from any source, please limit them to no more than 10 per post. This helps our members on dialup. If the images are large, please post fewer per message.

One last thing, although this hasn't really been a problem. Please don't "hot-link" from another site's image posts. Save the image, use photopost or another image storage site, and post from that instead. Bandwidth is expensive, and we don't steal other sites' bandwidth.
    Last edited by John; 08-23-2007 at 06:06 PM.

Are we allowed to credit if someone else made the fanart? It wouldnt be fair to not give credit... and what about if it is from GettyImages or WireImage?

The same rule applies to fanart. You have to understand that fanart starts with images culled from UPN, the internet, etc. It's not the person taking the actual photograph that makes the fanart. Taking a published photograph and playing with it in photoshop is fun, but it doesn't give you a copyright on the image. If you post someone else's fanart here, and it's tagged, it will be removed. If you're worried about not being fair, tell them to put it up themselves, or just do your own.

Getty/wire images are photo publishing houses - those are public pictures from a valid media source, so they won't be removed. The rule is against personal tags - people who take a photo on the internet, put their livejournal name on it, and repost it.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to avoid trouble.

What if I put 'by ANTMFreak' on the bottom of a fanart... is that allowed?

No worries!

It's not the tag itself that is disallowed. It's crediting a screenname/personality that doesn't post here, or another fan site.

That means if you make fanart and put your FORT screenname on it, that's fine. If you put your live journal name, or someone else's livejournal name, it's not okay.

Ok, I have another question. (Sorry, I just dont want to mess up!)

Are we allowed to credit people who made brushes in the fanarts? (I know a lot of people that use brushes and textures in their icons and fanarts that they did not make, but are available on LJ that require crediting.)

You can't use FORT to credit a poster from another site, plain and simple. So if you're breaking another site's rules by not crediting them, that's not really our problem. Unless someone has a legal copyright, like a published article of writing or an original photograph, you don't "need" to credit them.

What if I cropped/removed those tags? Would that be okay..

Yes.

straight guy, not a girl i love kahlen's Avatar
    just to clarify for myself... so if we have a picture that a photographer tagged before they put it up, is it fine to use... because technically the photo belongs to them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast