Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Modeling Trends (beauty, race, body image, etc.)

www.PonandZi.com phantasmogoria's Avatar

Modeling Trends (beauty, race, body image, etc.)

I decided to create this thread since the poor mods are having such a hard time keeping Gina's thread (and others) clean of racial debates and other stuff.
    So, feel free to discuss any abstract issues about modeling and beauty in general here. This includes: race, body image, body types, beauty types, anything else you guys can think of.
    Keep discussions about the show and its contestants in their own threads. No SPOILERS here please. This is not about the show, but about the modeling world in general.

Mods: I hope creating this thread is okay. If not, please delete.

Ann Markley: my top model Astridr's Avatar
    I hope this thread stays, I think its a good call and such discussions are inevitable with such a show. Modelling and fashion are perhaps one huge area of interest to most viewers and the reality thread is mostly pictures and news updates of models

aga
    FORTified
    Race / Ethnicity: Eastern European.
    Examples [Feel free to correct]: Daria (her nationality is Canadian, but I think her ethnicity is Polish); Natalia V. (Russian); Sasha (Russian); Carmen Kass (Estonian (although I don't think she fits the physical profile as much)); Vlada (Russian); Polina (country??). Although her nationality is Australian, I think that Gemma Ward also has this look.

ANTMers with this look (IMO): Ann (C3), Nicole (C5), Ashley (C5), and Adrienne (C1).

Race / Ethnicity: Although I can't think of a "name" model, it seems like I am seeing more and more multi-racial / ethnically ambiguous models.
    Last edited by aga; 04-03-2006 at 12:21 PM.
    "We all know that we're going to get beat tonight." - Melrose (ANTM Cycle 7) when Monique gets eliminated from the CoverGirl / Queen Latifah challenge.

"Hi pretty lady...and Tyra." - Heather (ANTM Cycle 9)

i believe miss daria is ukrainian? ukrainian or russian for sure.

edited p.s.: aga, you really think adrienne is european looking? personally i'm kind of on the fence, she looks american to me.

Adrianne looks european when she has alot of make up on. She kinda looks like Milla Jovovich at certain angles.

I saw this point brought up elsewhere and I was wondering what yall thought: so many celebrities are hailed as fashion icons and are used in high fashion campaigns and on mag covers ... does that dispel the notion that fashion is best seen on "long, lean, and tall" women and that models must therefore look that way? For instance, Salma Hayek and Eva Longoria are fashion icons and are extremely short.
    "What, sucka?! Do you want me to stab you with this spoon? In yo jugular?"

because salma's hot. :-P.

it's good for bigger fashion names to use celebrities (i.e. lindsey ho-han w/ was it LV or DB?) to get their work out to a broader audience other than the fashion market. so a 15 year old girl is going to go ask mum for 300 for a LV bag to look like their favourite celebrity.

[QUOTE=aga;1850119]Race / Ethnicity: Eastern European.
    Examples [Feel free to correct]: Daria (her nationality is Canadian, but I think her ethnicity is Polish); Natalia V. (Russian); Sasha (Russian); Carmen Kass (Estonian (although I don't think she fits the physical profile as much)); Vlada (Russian); Polina (country??). Although her nationality is Australian, I think that Gemma Ward also has this look.
    [QUOTE]

Gemma's parents are both birtish ,
    she doesn't have any east european roots.
    Daria is not Polish, she is ukrainian descent born in Krakow , Poland.

I thought Daria was born in Kiev, Ukraine?

FORT Newbie
    Are they fashion icons or have the fashion mags just found a way to sell more copies. They get crossover buyers when they have a familiar face on the cover.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast