Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Modeling Trends (beauty, race, body image, etc.)

^ lol That was a long time ago. About 2 years ago but it still hurts me inside. That's why I like watching ANTM because tehy don't really judge by your face. They judge you mostly on your personality.

sepia

Hey Sepia, are you from Jamaica, I live here. I love the Nadine Willis Avatar. On the topic, I think that to be racially ambiguous is very important in modelling, because the designer want some one who is versatile, can fit into theme.
    I love Top model and I love life.
    http://tsparkles.kk5.org/ my friend

Right now one of the rising Asian models is Du Juan. I have to say she DOES fit the asian standards for beauty
    Last edited by hepcat; 04-04-2006 at 02:36 AM. Reason: removed picture

FORT Newbie
    I recall reading somewhere the Naomi Campbell is part asian. I think with her asian features help as to her exoticness and give her a mystique, especially in her eyes.
    I think that's a good example of what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by hepcat; 04-04-2006 at 02:37 AM. Reason: removed picture

I'd like to quote this girl in my school who is mixed.. she said something like, "Nowadays, Black people are black and something else. It's not unique anymore."

I think there is a truth behind this but I still think it's interesting and unique.

FORT Fan
    I believe Naomi is 1/8th Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by xxtatic View Post
    Hey Sepia, are you from Jamaica, I live here. I love the Nadine Willis Avatar. On the topic, I think that to be racially ambiguous is very important in modelling, because the designer want some one who is versatile, can fit into theme.
    No, I'm a Black American but I love representing Black models because they are so much in the minority. I adore that pic of Nadine.
    "What, sucka?! Do you want me to stab you with this spoon? In yo jugular?"

aga
    FORTified
    Quote Originally Posted by sepia View Post
    I saw this point brought up elsewhere and I was wondering what yall thought: so many celebrities are hailed as fashion icons and are used in high fashion campaigns and on mag covers ... does that dispel the notion that fashion is best seen on "long, lean, and tall" women and that models must therefore look that way? For instance, Salma Hayek and Eva Longoria are fashion icons and are extremely short.
    I never bought into the fact that models had to be tall and thin for this exact reason. Going back to the 1930s and 1940s with Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell and Katherine Hepburn, actresses and celebrities were fashion icons and showcased what designers had to offer and, of the ones I listed, only Hepburn fit the tall / thin mode.

A lot of people have problems with celebrities dominating the fashion industry, namely making the covers of Elle, W and the like. However, I think one positive in this trend is the fact that it proves that you don't have to be tall and thin to showcase a designer's clothes.
    "We all know that we're going to get beat tonight." - Melrose (ANTM Cycle 7) when Monique gets eliminated from the CoverGirl / Queen Latifah challenge.

"Hi pretty lady...and Tyra." - Heather (ANTM Cycle 9)

Quote Originally Posted by aga View Post
    I never bought into the fact that models had to be tall and thin for this exact reason. Going back to the 1930s and 1940s with Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell and Katherine Hepburn, actresses and celebrities were fashion icons and showcased what designers had to offer and, of the ones I listed, only Hepburn fit the tall / thin mode.

A lot of people have problems with celebrities dominating the fashion industry, namely making the covers of Elle, W and the like. However, I think one positive in this trend is the fact that it proves that you don't have to be tall and thin to showcase a designer's clothes.

I agree ... but I'm sick of celebrities. Now if only they would diversify the models more, I'd be set.
    "What, sucka?! Do you want me to stab you with this spoon? In yo jugular?"

There was this one model named Eugene who's 5'2 and she got to walk on the catwalk! She looked so tiny compared to those other models.