Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 141

Thread: Modeling Trends (beauty, race, body image, etc.)

  1. #21
    Miss Universe HelenHandbasket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    488
    The cutesy thing to me seems like an Asian obsession with youth and I'm not talking 20s and 30s. I'm personally more familiar with Japanese culture than Korean, but it seems to me the women there dress like they're little girls until they are in their 40s. Plus the weird obsession with all things disney and hello kitty. The ideal of beauty seems to fit into that, babies and children tend to have bigger eyes and that's what we see as cute.

  2. #22
    On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    5,063
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenHandbasket View Post
    The cutesy thing to me seems like an Asian obsession with youth and I'm not talking 20s and 30s. I'm personally more familiar with Japanese culture than Korean, but it seems to me the women there dress like they're little girls until they are in their 40s. Plus the weird obsession with all things disney and hello kitty. The ideal of beauty seems to fit into that, babies and children tend to have bigger eyes and that's what we see as cute.
    Hey now, nothing wrong with Hello Kitty! (I like the little critter too, but I don't dress up like her!) You know, I was really happy when Alek Wek (I think that's her name) became a popular model--she didn't look like the Naomi/Tyra type of black model--she looked distinctively like an African Black model and she's striking. Not that she's a model, but I remember when I first saw Lucy Liu on something like "NYPD Blue," where she wasn't playing one of her femme fatale roles like now, but rather an immigrant, I remember thinking her eyes were soooooooooooo small she was never going to make it in show business. But here she is and doing well--small eyes and all. I'm glad that Scarlett Johansson isn't a stick figure. I really like diversity and think there's more of it in acting than in modeling. I doubt it'll really ever change in modeling...

  3. #23
    FORT Fan nikoniko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    298
    yep. daria's parents immigrated to mississaugua (sp?) when she was a child. i absolutely adore daria. my favourite model currently. i had the pleasure of meeting her as well!

    gemma's look i do admire for her innocence and the 'modern' look ordeal, but i feel sometimes when i want classic beauty she doesnt serve as well as somebody like daria.

  4. #24
    FORT Newbie HelloKittyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    13
    I think that a reoccuring look is the China doll look, dark hair, light skin. And big eyes. Aye-Aye eyes.

  5. #25
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    143
    Naomi Campbell and Tyra banks do not have the same type of look. In fact, None of the well known hi fashion black models have the same look - if you ask me.

    Iman looks distinctively African (although she just happens to have an African look that more quickly resembles a European look). But her look is specific to East Africa/Horn of Africa. In other words, anyone familiar with what Somalis/Ethiopians look like will know she comes from that area of Africa. Not surprisingly her look is similar to that of Liya Kebede and Warsame somebody.

    Naomi Campbell has the more common black girl look. I think more black people in the world look like Naomi campbell (absent her weave) than like Iman or Tyra. The nigerian model, Oluchi also has the Naomi look.

    Tyra has the most european look to me.

    Alek Wek also has a very African look. but it is a specific look from a specific country. People who look like Alek Wek more than likely come from southern Sudan.

    Did i miss anyone?

    I think they are all beautiful and show the diversity of black features.

  6. #26
    FORT Fogey TunaFests's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyracan'tjudge View Post
    Naomi Campbell and Tyra banks do not have the same type of look. In fact, None of the well known hi fashion black models have the same look - if you ask me.

    Iman looks distinctively African (although she just happens to have an African look that more quickly resembles a European look). But her look is specific to East Africa/Horn of Africa. In other words, anyone familiar with what Somalis/Ethiopians look like will know she comes from that area of Africa. Not surprisingly her look is similar to that of Liya Kebede and Warsame somebody.

    Naomi Campbell has the more common black girl look. I think more black people in the world look like Naomi campbell (absent her weave) than like Iman or Tyra. The nigerian model, Oluchi also has the Naomi look.

    Tyra has the most european look to me.

    Alek Wek also has a very African look. but it is a specific look from a specific country. People who look like Alek Wek more than likely come from southern Sudan.

    Did i miss anyone?

    I think they are all beautiful and show the diversity of black features.

    wow! thanks for all the info it was very interesting

  7. #27
    FORT Fanatic snow-phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by kitana89 View Post
    Finally! Well let me comment about how I hate Korean standards for beauty. They obssess too much with eye surgery. They really F*ck up their eyes by trying to make them look like giant dolly eyes. Why can't they accept their beautiful small eyes?

    Another thing How I hate is that I don't understand Asian beauty at all, although I am Asian. I don't find anything pretty with teh cutesy look. I'm more into the artsy, punk rock look. That's why I'm considered ugly in Asian standards, but pretty in American standards. I just wish they would stop messing up their beautiful faces with surgery and double eyelid tape. Sure I have big eyes and double eyelids but I'm still not considered pretty in Asian standards and Gina isn't considered pretty in Asian standards. Because Gina (and I) have this more stern look then pretty look that will probably not quite be accepted in Asia. Can someone please clarify for me why Asians like that cutesy look and find that hard core, tough look ugly?
    You may be able to comment on what a Korean standard of beauty is, but I don't think you should generalize for all of Asia. I've lived in Taiwan for several years, I although there is the "cutsey" trend, it is not fair to asume that all beautiful asian women have double eyelid surgery. I also believe there is a multitude of fashion trends, not just the frilly feminine look, but also the edgier punk-rock looks too.

  8. #28
    FORT Fogey sepia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Hey now, nothing wrong with Hello Kitty! (I like the little critter too, but I don't dress up like her!) You know, I was really happy when Alek Wek (I think that's her name) became a popular model--she didn't look like the Naomi/Tyra type of black model--she looked distinctively like an African Black model and she's striking.

    Interesting ... but it all depends. Not all Africans look the same. For instance, Iman made it big and she's African, and was actually praised for being exotic and less "commercial" than other Black models of the day. Liya is Ethiopian and looks like Ethiopians tend to look, which is different from Nigerian Oluchi and other Africans.
    "What, sucka?! Do you want me to stab you with this spoon? In yo jugular?"

  9. #29
    FORT Fogey sepia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyracan'tjudge View Post
    Naomi Campbell and Tyra banks do not have the same type of look. In fact, None of the well known hi fashion black models have the same look - if you ask me.

    Iman looks distinctively African (although she just happens to have an African look that more quickly resembles a European look). But her look is specific to East Africa/Horn of Africa. In other words, anyone familiar with what Somalis/Ethiopians look like will know she comes from that area of Africa. Not surprisingly her look is similar to that of Liya Kebede and Warsame somebody.

    Naomi Campbell has the more common black girl look. I think more black people in the world look like Naomi campbell (absent her weave) than like Iman or Tyra. The nigerian model, Oluchi also has the Naomi look.

    Tyra has the most european look to me.

    Alek Wek also has a very African look. but it is a specific look from a specific country. People who look like Alek Wek more than likely come from southern Sudan.

    Did i miss anyone?

    I think they are all beautiful and show the diversity of black features.
    Ha! That's kinda what I said. Tyra's look is the most European IMO probably because she was the least high-fashion of the successful Black models. Her claim to fame was commercial success, and so she had to look "approachable" to mainstream, whereas high-fashion side of the industry tends to favor "exotic" features. Which is why I suppose most Black models, at least of late, are African.
    "What, sucka?! Do you want me to stab you with this spoon? In yo jugular?"

  10. #30
    FORT Regular kitana89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    147
    when I first saw Lucy Liu on something like "NYPD Blue," where she wasn't playing one of her femme fatale roles like now, but rather an immigrant, I remember thinking her eyes were soooooooooooo small she was never going to make it in show business. But here she is and doing well--small eyes and all.
    I feel really bad for saying this but I observe alot since I am in my teens and surrounded by Asian ideals and stuff so I'd liek to comment on what "ASian" people tend to say about models and actresses like lucy liu.

    Many Asians portray Lucy Liu as ugly and not fit for the screen. They say taht for alot of people who have the distinctive asian eyes. Asians in general are obssessed with sharper noses and the whole cutesy happy look. It makes me so sad that Asians can't embrace their beauty. That is why if you look at Korean celebrities in Korea, they all look like clones. I like originality but it seems like people in Asia and even a few Asian Americans here are often commenting about beauty and how pretty or ugly a person is. I guess you could say that I feel confused and hurt myself because all my life, Asian people would say that I'm ugly while caucasion people would go up to me and say wow, your beautiful, you have amazing eyes. My eyes are big, with a double fold but not giant big. They are also kind of almond shaped but with a sad look. A lot of Asians would say that My eyes would be pretty if it didn't look so sad or harsh. It just confuses me because I totally lost the confidence in myself. I even almost nearly droped my Asian heritage because so many Asian girls kept saying I was ugly and a disgrace to the Asian race. I just don't get why Asia obssesses about beauty so much. Sure Americans obsess over beauty too but Asians always want you to be perfect and they don't seem to accept originality. You can sound like a man and be pretty and people in Korea would go, "Wow your so pretty!" <----they would say that even if your mean and rude.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.