Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Modeling Trends (beauty, race, body image, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by HopieLiz View Post
    Are they fashion icons or have the fashion mags just found a way to sell more copies. They get crossover buyers when they have a familiar face on the cover.

So if short celebs can sell fashion well (on covers wearing high fashion, doing high fashion campaigns, getting praise on the red carpet for their clothing), what's with the notion models must be tall and lean in order to sell clothes?
    "What, sucka?! Do you want me to stab you with this spoon? In yo jugular?"

Lipstick and Callous GlitterGabi's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure Daria's parents are Ukrainian but I have read that she's from Canada, too. Perhaps her parents migrated?

I think the trend with modeling(with the exception of celebrities) is the tall, pale, waify types.

Daria and Gemma are the two biggest names in the industry right now. They are very successful.
    I am not sure they will ever reach celebrity status like Tyra, but they both do tons of work for big designers. Therefore, I assume their look is popular.

I love Gemma more than Daria though!!!
    Last edited by hepcat; 04-04-2006 at 02:35 AM. Reason: removed picture

Finally! Well let me comment about how I hate Korean standards for beauty. They obssess too much with eye surgery. They really [mod edit] their eyes by trying to make them look like giant dolly eyes. Why can't they accept their beautiful small eyes?

Another thing How I hate is that I don't understand Asian beauty at all, although I am Asian. I don't find anything pretty with teh cutesy look. I'm more into the artsy, punk rock look. That's why I'm considered ugly in Asian standards, but pretty in American standards. I just wish they would stop messing up their beautiful faces with surgery and double eyelid tape. Sure I have big eyes and double eyelids but I'm still not considered pretty in Asian standards and Gina isn't considered pretty in Asian standards. Because Gina (and I) have this more stern look then pretty look that will probably not quite be accepted in Asia. Can someone please clarify for me why Asians like that cutesy look and find that hard core, tough look ugly?
    Last edited by hepcat; 04-04-2006 at 02:35 AM. Reason: An * doesn't disguise the word. Keep it clean, please.

Daria is Ukrainian. She was born in Ukraine.

Also Milla Yovovich is Ukrainian too. She doesn't model much now, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by kitana89 View Post
    Finally! Well let me comment about how I hate Korean standards for beauty. They obssess too much with eye surgery. They really F*ck up their eyes by trying to make them look like giant dolly eyes. Why can't they accept their beautiful small eyes?

Another thing How I hate is that I don't understand Asian beauty at all, although I am Asian. I don't find anything pretty with teh cutesy look. I'm more into the artsy, punk rock look. That's why I'm considered ugly in Asian standards, but pretty in American standards. I just wish they would stop messing up their beautiful faces with surgery and double eyelid tape. Sure I have big eyes and double eyelids but I'm still not considered pretty in Asian standards and Gina isn't considered pretty in Asian standards. Because Gina (and I) have this more stern look then pretty look that will probably not quite be accepted in Asia. Can someone please clarify for me why Asians like that cutesy look and find that hard core, tough look ugly?

It's odd ... doesn't Asia embrace more European standards of beauty, which is why the eye surgery thing is popular? It's almost similar to the Black community's ideology concerning complexion, hair texture, and other "ethnic features". It's unfortunate.
    "What, sucka?! Do you want me to stab you with this spoon? In yo jugular?"

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sepia View Post
    So if short celebs can sell fashion well (on covers wearing high fashion, doing high fashion campaigns, getting praise on the red carpet for their clothing), what's with the notion models must be tall and lean in order to sell clothes?
    Celebs (short or otherwise) sell magazines, which draw in readers who will hopefully buy the clothes featured in the magazines. Most runway models aren't famous and are there to show off the clothes. The desire for tall/lean models, I think, is simply that clothes tend to hang (and I emphasize the word hang!) better on a tall and lean body than a short and lean (or not so lean) body. It's not fair, but that makes it easier to pass off crappy clothes as looking chic when you have the right model.

Quote Originally Posted by kitana89 View Post
    Can someone please clarify for me why Asians like that cutesy look and find that hard core, tough look ugly?
    It's interesting that you bring this up because there've been studies and reports on this (on newsmagazine shows like DATELINE and that National Geographic Channel...I think those were the ones I saw these on) and the standard for beauty is universally pretty much the same in the technologically advanced countries. They used Denzel Washington (hubba hubba) as an example of male beauty that's coveted--he has a very symmetrical face (they actually gridded out his face to show how everything is proportionate). For women, they showed how the plumper lips and larger eyes signal to men that the women are youthful and therefore more likely to bear their children.

And if you look at photos of movie stars from South Korea, China, the U.S., Great Britain etc., they do tend to have the same facial structure. I brought this up in a different thread that was deleted but the standards of beauty change thoughout time. In Europe, plump women were envied and desired (Rubenesque period).

In ancient Asia, that hardcore look you're talking about was very popular--the smaller and slantier (no offense intended) the eyes the better (look at the art from that period and you'll see no "round eyes" in those paintings).

Yes, symmetry has been the beauty standard since the begining of time, even in nature.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by sepia View Post
    I think what a "model" (someone selling a product in a picture) lacks in star quality & hollywood fame, she makes up in being tall and statuesque. To me, it all depends on the buyers and producers. Some celebrities are great at modeling [such as Scarlett Johanssen ] eventhough they lack alot of model qualifications. That's what I think. We still need models. Plus, they cost less than celebs.
    "Jade just needs to get laid. " - Nigel Barker