Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spot-fillers?

FORT Fogey

Spot-fillers?

Uh, I've read a lot about some girls only being in the competition because they were needed to fill the spot. For example, people have said Giselle, Tessa, Jennipher, and Diane to name a few. Can somebody explain what this is all about to me, and which girls were these spot-fillers?

I don't see the reasoning behind needing spot-fillers. It's not like they aren't getting enough girls interested in trying out. They literally have THOUSANDS of contestants to go through. I really don't get why they'd need to just grab any girl to fill up one spot. I'd imagine this is just nonsense being spread around for no real reason. If they were picking girls just to take a spot, don't you think they could have chosen some that are a lot worse than the ones you mentioned?
    "At this point I'm assuming their child is dead. Most likely crushed beneath a mountain of corn dogs. Not that Britney or Kevin would notice. Arguing and drinking seems to take up most of their time. As does Britney's attempts to turn herself into a giant blob of jello."

What Would Janice Do? littlecat's Avatar
    Spot fillers might be needed if the cast is based on a template and/or if the winner is predetermined. There is probably always a need to balance out the cast or to fill out a template.

You can see that each cycle has certain roles balanced against diversity representation (i.e. sassy-bitch/small town girl/party girl/hard luck girl/lack of confidence girl/plus size girl/, etc...). So if the producers find a majority of girls they absolutely love, but don't quite find 13, then they probably start looking for a spot filler; someone to balance out the cast.

You can already see the Cycle 6 roles:

Gina: lack of confidence girl
    Jade: bitch
    Danielle: sassy/tough
    Joanie: party girl
    Wendy/Nnena: hard luck girl
    Kari: small town girl

etc...

Quote Originally Posted by littlecat View Post
    Spot fillers might be needed if the cast is based on a template and/or if the winner is predetermined. There is probably always a need to balance out the cast or to fill out a template.

You can see that each cycle has certain roles balanced against diversity representation (i.e. sassy-bitch/small town girl/party girl/hard luck girl/lack of confidence girl/plus size girl/, etc...). So if the producers find a majority of girls they absolutely love, but don't quite find 13, then they probably start looking for a spot filler; someone to balance out the cast.

You can already see the Cycle 6 roles:

Gina: lack of confidence girl
    Jade: bitch
    Danielle: sassy/tough
    Joanie: party girl
    Wendy/Nnena: hard luck girl
    Kari: small town girl

etc...

well they are people...if you try hard enough you can fit all the girls into a category

Silent Lover To All TymeMarteen's Avatar
    its the same thing as The Real World, casting directors pick archetypes. Personalitites and things about someone that makes it easy to peg them as a certain type of person. Like someone said earlier, you have Jade-typical bitch (Robin, Camille, Eva, Brandy, Lisa.) I also think Brooke is the Michelle-awkward-isn't really a model-girl. They put these people together to create drama, and the such.

FORT Newbie
    You mean filler contestants who you could tell were never truly in the running? There's been lots.

Season 1:
    Giselle
    Tessa
    Katie

Season 2:
    Heather
    Bethany
    Jenascia
    Anna
    Xiomara
    Catie

Season 3:
    Magdalena
    Leah
    Kelle
    Pher
    Kristi

Season 4:
    Brita
    Christina
    Noelle
    Sarah

Season 5:
    Ashley
    Sarah
    Ebony
    Diane

Quote Originally Posted by beerintheweave View Post
    You mean filler contestants who you could tell were never truly in the running? There's been lots.

Season 1:
    Giselle
    Tessa
    Katie

Season 2:
    Heather
    Bethany
    Jenascia
    Anna
    Xiomara
    Catie

Season 3:
    Magdalena
    Leah
    Kelle
    Pher
    Kristi

Season 4:
    Brita
    Christina
    Noelle
    Sarah

Season 5:
    Ashley
    Sarah
    Ebony
    Diane

i disagree with a lot of those. if some of those girls had pulled out killer pictures, and a lot of them COULD have, they would have been in the running. Girls like Sarah just really had no clue, but had a great look.

The only ones I agree with would be Giselle, Bethany, Anna, Leah, Noelle, and Brita.

I don't think they have a predetermined winner--the fashion industry is constantly changing from hot to not, so I think the panel is just good at finding which direction the fashion industry is headed in, and they keep the girls that fit it.
    "...but this, all pleasures fancies be; If ever any beauty I did see, Which I desired, and got, 'twas but a dream of thee..."

Add Wendy and Kathy to that list...

And Kari...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast