Page 13 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast

Thread: Gina - Cycle 6

I'm really not feeling her she is to average to me and doesn't really stand out maybe it will change but I doubt it.
    Believe Half of What You See and None of What you Hear.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Six Degrees View Post
    Why can't Gina be Asian without being typed as 'exotic'? Why can't as Asian girl be typecast as a girl next door type? It seems almost racist to say an Asian model has to have a super exotic typecasting...almost like saying a black girl has to have the Nubian Princess look ala Iman or Alex Wek. In [I think] Season Three, Tyra says that at any given time there is only one place in the echelon of top modeldom for a girl of a given ethnicity...I thinks she says something like Camille would be the "top black girl" or that April would be the "top Asian girl." But Gina's look seems somewhat 'fresh faced' and All American without being Cacucasian.
    Bravo. You've pinpointed exactly what has been bothering me. I knew for a reason that I disagreed with a lot of the posts but I couldn't figure out why. You hit the nail on the head. Why can't she just be the All American girl just because she isn't Caucasian? When I look at her I can tell that she isn't directly from Asia but it's very appealing in my eyes.

A Song's transformation would look great on her, maybe with few brown highlights. I wonder if they would dye it something like red or strawberry blonde, though it probably look bad on her.
    Kata&ChantalLOVE

i'm not feeling her pictures but she is definately very beautiful in person.
    i think she's gonna be a Kelle type. wish she was taller :/

Why can't Gina be Asian without being typed as 'exotic'? Why can't as Asian girl be typecast as a girl next door type? It seems almost racist to say an Asian model has to have a super exotic typecasting...almost like saying a black girl has to have the Nubian Princess look ala Iman or Alex Wek. In [I think] Season Three, Tyra says that at any given time there is only one place in the echelon of top modeldom for a girl of a given ethnicity...I thinks she says something like Camille would be the "top black girl" or that April would be the "top Asian girl." But Gina's look seems somewhat 'fresh faced' and All American without being Cacucasian.
    Preech it girl!

I knew if there were ever an Asian girl on the show, everyone would automatically start judging her as the "ASIAN girl" and start comparing her to other girls they've placed under the same label - it annoys the crap outta me. I mean why does she have to be categorized just because of her race?

Um... last time I checked - this is the Fashion industry - hate it or love it. I don't mean to be patronizing or rude either but in the fashion industry, labelling a girl "exotic" is another way of saying she doesn't look white. Fashion is based on race (period) - why? People are focused on race. If an average person sees Zhang Ziyi on the cover of InStyle, they'll think "She's asian!", if someone sees Beyonce on a L'oreal ad they'll think "Oh, she's black!" In general, a model's "look" will appeal to certain people depending whether they can relate to that certain look or not. On average, the world is populated with caucasian, that's why there are fewer ethnicities in print, that's how it works. It's only natural to label anything else "exotic" since there are so few asian/black/hispanic in fashion. Yes, Gina can be very "girl's-next-door" but she can also be "exotic" at the same time - that's what we call "versatility". I'm just answering your questions.
    Last edited by ko0la1d; 02-20-2006 at 04:22 AM.

I'm a straight guy! BLaNKoBoRiQuA's Avatar
    i dont know if this is the topic you are talking about but i think its actually important to have race in fashion to show that all ethnicities can be beautiful since alot of people can be stereotypical. i believe when tyra says its not all (i say that word loosely) about race. but she puts different culture on the show so they can represent and educate america, and give them a chance when ordinarily they probably wouldnt because of their background. i dont think it really matters if an asian is exotic or not. i would say gina has a more comercial look then edgy, but thats only because i took the time out to examine her. if you flip through a magazine and you see a covergil ad and its and asian women your not gonna say "shes very safe and boring" no, your gonna say she looks "asian". its just something you can never change

^Tyra said it was all about race. It's not something that helped. But being a different race can also be used to your advantage. Being "exotic" isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially because exotic can be high fashion or commercial.

I have a question...
    Can anyone tell me what Gina says after she's like "so I called my dad and he was like 'good job daughter, I gotta go. Bye."? The video never works for me after that point.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by snow-phoenix View Post
    ^Tyra said it was all about race. It's not something that helped. But being a different race can also be used to your advantage. Being "exotic" isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially because exotic can be high fashion or commercial.

I have a question...
    Can anyone tell me what Gina says after she's like "so I called my dad and he was like 'good job daughter, I gotta go. Bye."? The video never works for me after that point.
    Yea it's wierd. If u run it in real player it may work and if the screen doenst show up put it in full screen.

FORT Fogey
    Does anybody know as of yet what type of Asian she is? My first impression is Japanese but it looks like she might have something else in there too.