Page 10 of 123 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 1228

Thread: Cycle 5: Jayla

  1. #91
    FORT Fogey bobpickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by Lah
    Again I say, YMMV. Jayla may rock your socks but she does not rock mine. There's no need to get defensive; vive la differance! If I choose to base my dislike of her on her love for Good Charlotte and Hot Topic, I hope I can do so with impugnity, without being accused of being "close-minded" by apologists. I can't claim to ever know the "real" Jayla, and neither can you. So, lacking that, all I can do is judge her according to her style, taste, diction, etc - in other words, all the cursory components that make up an individual's identity. And so far I haven't been impressed. If the myspace Jayla represents the "real" Jayla with even a 10th of accuracy, I can only deduce that either 1) she's a hopelessly trailer trash version of Norelle, or 2) a clueless teenager overcompensating for her religious (Jehovah's Witness?) upbringing by trying to be cool and subversive and edgy, not realizing that she is coming off as an obnoxious poseur instead. (I mean, screaming to get attention? "I'm a fat kid inside"? Tell me she's not, like, fer real. )

    By the by, how can you claim to "respect" someone's comment and yet at the same time condemn it as "very arrogant and snobby"? Rather contradictory, no? But there's no need to pull politically-correct punches with me, because I willingly own up to the fact that I am snobbish in my tastes, my unapologetic stance towards it being " hey, some tastes are, frankly, better than others."
    Umm that kinda epotimizes close - mindness ... while I agree none of us here will get to know the real Jayla, most of us will wait till we supposively get to know Jayla before be pass any harsh judgement on her.

    Whatever, to everyone their own

  2. #92
    Nigel is my lover NICOLAE79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    395
    If Jayla didn't want to be criticized by the public, she shouldn't sign up for a nationally televised reality show and post on a widely viewed web-site. I don't feel like I need to justify my dislike for her in any way. She put herself in this position and is acting like a complete moron. People in the public eye get judged constantly by the way they look and act, regardless of how well we ever get to know them. I think she is a dirty, immature, stupid skank and I doubt my opinion of her will change when I see her on the show. Seriously, to each their own.

    I like several models on ANTM that othe people can't stand, and I don't go around sticking up for them. It was their choice to go on TV. With fame (or lack thereof, sometimes) comes consequences.
    If you love someone, let them go. If they come back, they are yours. If they don't, hunt them down and kill them.

  3. #93
    FORT Fogey bobpickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by NICOLAE79
    If Jayla didn't want to be criticized by the public, she shouldn't sign up for a nationally televised reality show and post on a widely viewed web-site. I don't feel like I need to justify my dislike for her in any way. She put herself in this position and is acting like a complete moron. People in the public eye get judged constantly by the way they look and act, regardless of how well we ever get to know them. I think she is a dirty, immature, stupid skank and I doubt my opinion of her will change when I see her on the show. Seriously, to each their own.

    I like several models on ANTM that othe people can't stand, and I don't go around sticking up for them. It was their choice to go on TV. With fame (or lack thereof, sometimes) comes consequences.
    I really dont care, anyone can think anything of her
    It just shows a lot about their character

  4. #94
    Lah
    Lah is offline
    FORT Newbie Lah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    a rock formation
    Posts
    46
    And a couple of heavily-edited clips and soundbites per episode would have us making great strides, I suppose, in getting to know the "real" Jayla ? Wouldn't we still running the risk of getting a distorted or incomplete view of things? So it's pretty much all the same, isn't it, whether I pass judgement now or much later on? Myspace is as good as venue as reality tv. In fact, I would say it gives by far the kinder treatment: you are, after all, writing it yourself, instead of relying on the mercy of the editors and producers.

    Anyway, if this thread's any indication, I'm far from the only one passing judgement and making early assumptions. It's all part of the fun. Jayla is not anyone I know on a personal basis, nor would I presume any posters here know on a personal basis. The likelihood of her reading this is quite small and even if she does - hey, them's the breaks for reality tv. Therefore I'm entitled to my opinions, harsh or not, without having other posters either preaching or tsk-tsking at me.

    I value my own likes and dislikes enough to make judgements based upon them, even if they happen to differ from those of other posters. These judgements are not fixed and never-changing (if Jayla does turn out to be quite positively the next coming of Mother Theresa, for example, I shall look at her with washed eyes. ) However, they're the most rational one I can form at the moment, giving the what I've seen of her. True closeminded-ness would be to denigrate that diversity and subjectivity of opinion, under the guise of "open-mindedness".

    Cheers.

    I really dont care, anyone can think anything of her
    It just shows a lot about their character
    On the contrary, I think my opinion of a contestant's character does not so much shed light on my character, but rather on the characters of those who think it does and would condemn me for it.
    Last edited by Lah; 09-19-2005 at 08:21 PM.

  5. #95
    Big Electric Cat jasmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,802
    Interesting thoughts, Lah. Thanks for thinking out loud. I tend to agree with the assessments in your last post.

    Personally, I can't get past Jayla's striking likeness to Justine Bateman .
    Token Christian.

    If truth is relative, how do you know?

  6. #96
    Nigel is my lover NICOLAE79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    395
    Please don't insult Justine Bateman like that. She doesn't look too bad these days. At least clarify and say "Jayla looks like Justine Bateman on crack".
    If you love someone, let them go. If they come back, they are yours. If they don't, hunt them down and kill them.

  7. #97
    The winner takes it all ANTManonimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    America
    Posts
    591
    In my opinion, i really don't care about her personality or what music she likes or whatever, i only care if she looks god in pictures and if she can rock the runway (no for the second one, but hey, they taught Shandi to walk in heels, nothing is impossible after that one!)
    Girls could wear jeans, cut their hair short, wear shirts and boots, cause it's ok to be a boy, but for a boy to look like a girl is degrading, because YOU think that being a girl is degrading, but secretly you'd love to know what it's like, wouldn't you, what it feels like for a girl.

  8. #98
    Big Electric Cat jasmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,802
    Quote Originally Posted by NICOLAE79
    Please don't insult Justine Bateman like that. She doesn't look too bad these days. At least clarify and say "Jayla looks like Justine Bateman on crack".
    I stand corrected!
    Token Christian.

    If truth is relative, how do you know?

  9. #99
    FORT Fogey suckmytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wherever I'm standing...
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Lah
    Again I say, YMMV. Jayla may rock your socks but she does not rock mine. There's no need to get defensive; vive la differance! If I choose to base my dislike of her on her love for Good Charlotte and Hot Topic, I hope I can do so with impugnity, without being accused of being "close-minded" by apologists. I can't claim to ever know the "real" Jayla, and neither can you. So, lacking that, all I can do is judge her according to her style, taste, diction, etc - in other words, all the cursory components that make up an individual's identity. And so far I haven't been impressed. If the myspace Jayla represents the "real" Jayla with even a 10th of accuracy, I can only deduce that either 1) she's a hopelessly trailer trash version of Norelle, or 2) a clueless teenager overcompensating for her religious (Jehovah's Witness?) upbringing by trying to be cool and subversive and edgy, not realizing that she is coming off as an obnoxious poseur instead. (I mean, screaming to get attention? "I'm a fat kid inside"? Tell me she's not, like, fer real. )

    By the by, how can you claim to "respect" someone's comment and yet at the same time condemn it as "very arrogant and snobby"? Rather contradictory, no? But there's no need to pull politically-correct punches with me, because I willingly own up to the fact that I am snobbish in my tastes, my unapologetic stance towards it being " hey, some tastes are, frankly, better than others."
    Sorry didn't mean to come off defensive but I know alot of people like Jayla. You can base your dislikes on whatever but I was born a Buddhist, so I kind of find it "wrong" to easily place someone in a category and automatically assume you think you know who you are. I don't know Jayla and I'm personally not such a big fan no more unlike the beginning. Although, she does have potential to be a great model; I find it very closed-minded for some people (not you) to think she would suck because of what they read... well F*** what you read, I mean, it doesn't really matter. I'm not being defensive towards you and if it may sound like that I'm sorry. I'm just not a person that's anal about everything but I want to give Jayla a "chance" before claiming that she's a "bitch." If she is, then that's ashame...

    BTW, I wasn't contradicting myself when I said I "respect" someone's comment and yet at the same time condemn it as "very arrogant and snobby", what I meant was I respect and understand and is "OKAY" with everything you have to say (it doesn't bother me) but I just simply finded very arrogant and snobby; also very condescending and that doesn't make me any less respectful of your comments but this is just my opinion.

  10. #100
    Culture slut geek the girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The deep, dark woods
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Lah
    my unapologetic stance towards it being " hey, some tastes are, frankly, better than others."
    Amen. I made a similar comment about her taste in music (or lack of it) a few pages back (or was it in the Cycle 5 thread?), although I think I focused on Linkin Park instead of Good Charlotte. I absolutely acknowledge the fact that Jayla seems to be an insufferable attention whore with bad taste in music. However, I do like the way she looks, have a strong suspicion that she will turn out to be photogenic and, being all soft, I can't help but think that there must be a reason (most likely a tragic one) for her behaviour. Also, she'll probably provide some good entertainment. I mean, she's receiving hate mail before the first episode has even aired? Way to go, girlfriend.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 04-25-2007, 12:42 AM
  2. 04-21-2007, 05:57 AM
  3. 04-21-2007, 03:30 AM
  4. 04-15-2007, 02:37 AM
  5. 04-13-2007, 08:32 AM
  6. 04-07-2007, 11:02 PM
  7. 04-07-2007, 11:47 AM
  8. 04-03-2007, 06:54 AM
  9. 04-02-2007, 04:05 AM
  10. 04-02-2007, 03:17 AM
  11. 04-01-2007, 04:01 PM
  12. 04-01-2007, 11:26 AM
  13. 04-01-2007, 11:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.