Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a Top Model?

Admitted Reality Junkie

What is a Top Model?

I've read through about a billion posts on this and other message boards, and everyone seems to have there reasons as to why so and so should when and why someone else shouldn't. Well here's the thing, we have never been (or at least to my knowledge) been given the definition of what this show, Tyra, UPN and the gillion sposors believe truly is a Top Model.

From my guestimation, while couture runway is the elite level of modeling it does not make or take a top model. Runway models are often nameless faces and sometimes just walking hangers for clothes. My guess is that a top model is more along the lines of SuperModel, or a least a recognizable face and name. I think Tyra wants these girls, to do commercials, commercial print, acting, spokesperson gigs, the whole nine. She's always saying that the covers of the fasion magazines are overrun with actresses and singers. Well that's because they are more than a pretty face and a great body. That's what I think she wants from the girls on this show.

From my definition I would have to say that of all the girls on teh show not just the top three, EVA is the only one. She's the only one who has showed any personality, conventional beauty, and "it". While I have grown to become somewhat of an Amanda fan, I think her look is too high fashion for "Top Model." Yaya could have done it but that attitide killed her chances. The only other girl that seemed to have it was Toccara, but I think Tyra was right, I don't know if America is ready for a plus-sized top model.

Okay, now I'm done ranting.
    You were once wild here. Don't let them tame you.

Well, I actually think of "America's Next Top Model" and a top model to be different things. America's Next Top Model is a title given to the winning girl, like the American Idol or the sole survivor. They're lucky if they get work after the show but it's just the title they get for winning the competition. I don't actually expect any of the girls from the show to become TOP models, or as you said, a super model. Some of them may be able to make a living out of modeling after the show but I don't think any of them will get to Tyra's status.

She was asking about the definition of a Top model.

FORT Newbie
    Hello. I totally agree that, at least for this season, the show is looking for a model who is NOT high fashion. Look at who they've eliminated; Jennipher, Kelle, and especially Norelle (if she improves her walk). During the second season, all of the judges continually told Mercedes that she was "too commercial." They loved Shandi and Yoanna because they are high-fashion type models.

This season, I don't remember the last time the phrase "high-fashion" was uttered by the judges. I think it is very obvious that the goal of this season is to find a model who won't necessarily model couture on the catwalks of Paris, but can sell the sh*t out of a tube of mascara.

(am I allowed to say sh*t?)

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanQueen
    She was asking about the definition of a Top model.
    Well, I was more so replying to this part:

"I've read through about a billion posts on this and other message boards, and everyone seems to have there reasons as to why so and so should when and why someone else shouldn't. Well here's the thing, we have never been (or at least to my knowledge) been given the definition of what this show, Tyra, UPN and the gillion sposors believe truly is a Top Model."

The posts are posted because we think we know who deserves the title out of how well they did in the competition, since the title is for the winner of it. Maybe we haven't heard much about what a super model actually is because Tyra knows that these girls won't become one.

By the way, I figured she already knew the defintion of a top model since she said she thinks it's a super model, which I thought it was too.

FORT Newbie
    Sorry, I forgot to finish my post.

So in conclusion, I think the term "America's Next Top Model" doesn't have a static definition. I think it will change from season to season.

Elyse looking famous Poor Grace's Avatar
    I think a top model (note the lower case letters) is just a working model, not necessarily a household name. It's totally possibly to get carve out a solid career --do print work, commercials, runways --without being famous. Or at least not famous to dopes like me.

I think when this show was first started, the main purpose was to find a woman who could grow to have a career like Tyra's. Their definition of top model, at the time, seemed to be someone who could walk the french runway in couture, pose for Victoria's Secret and Sport Illustrated, while still being on the cover of major fashion magazines like Elle. Tyra was high fashion for a long time before she started doing more of the big contract money making things like VS.

In the first season, you could see them actually kicking people out of the contest because they maybe only embodied one of these things. I think Catie got kicked out for being too much of a swimsuit model and Elyse was kicked to the curb for being too couture. Even on the second season they kicked out Sara for being too VS and were always referring to Mercedes as too commercial.

This season I really don't know whats up. Even though she is good at it, I can't see Eva walking the runways in Milan or Paris. I can't see Amanda in SI. The only one I could see doing all of this is Yaya, but I don't think she wins. I know people have issues with her attitude, but let us all remember who won the go see competition. Also, how much of that attitude has actually been played out in front of clients.
    "To be is to do"--Socrates.
    "To do is to be"--Jean-Paul Sartre.
    "Do be do be do"--Frank Sinatra

I'm the queen of misspelling

Top model to me is, tons of covers, tons of runway... Basically, you're everywhere.

Admitted Reality Junkie
    Board at work,
    I totally agree with you about Yaya, her problem though is that this is being aired on national television and is on film forever. Even though she always seems to make a good first impression (like with the members of FORT) eventually her true colors shine. From what I hear the entertainment world is very small, very gossipy, and very unforgiving. I think Tyra et al. realize that eventually this girl would piss some people off and drag ANTM's name through the mud. While it may not mean much now ANTM is a brand Tyra is trying to produce, and alwyas remember, Tyra is a business woman.
    You were once wild here. Don't let them tame you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast