Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: What is a Top Model?

  1. #11
    FORT Fan Axeljoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Well, I actually think of "America's Next Top Model" and a top model to be different things. America's Next Top Model is a title given to the winning girl, like the American Idol or the sole survivor. They're lucky if they get work after the show but it's just the title they get for winning the competition. I don't actually expect any of the girls from the show to become TOP models, or as you said, a super model. Some of them may be able to make a living out of modeling after the show but I don't think any of them will get to Tyra's status.
    I really like this definition. It's like how winning a gold medal at the Olympics doesn't necessairly make you the best in that sport, but it mearly means that you won that particular contest. And yeah, it looks good on your resume to convince people that you ARE the best in that particular sport/area.

    I think a 'top model' is a model of quality. They don't have to be the most popular or the best by any means, but they just have to be a model who is known for their talent. Not someone who's got a repuation of sucking at doing runway work, or is known for not being photogenic. So yeah, to me it's a matter of quality and not popularity.

  2. #12
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,270
    Top Model?

    In my opinion, somebody the people that post in the Real Model's section has heard of. If you're doing haute couture runway, and have ever been on the cover of a reputable magazine (even if you are in a huge group) or in an editorial in a reputable magazine, then you're a top model

    Supermodels: Linda Evangelista, Claudia Schiffer, Naomi Campbell
    Top Models: Natalia Vodianova, Gemma Ward, Euguenia Volodina, Heather Marks

    Then, there is America's Next Top Model, which involves: an editorial in a magazine that probably wishes they didn't sign a contract giving Tyra the choice of who is in it; a campaign with cover girl, which is about as non-top-model as makeup comes; and after that not a whole lot else.

    To tell you the truth, Eva is the antithesis of Top Model. She's very short, pretty but lacks really great 'bones', and her personality is really not too great. If you go to models.com, and look at their list, you'll notice that Eva wouldn't fit in. Amanda would, Yaya could, and Eva simply wouldn't.

  3. #13
    Nik.Nicole.Bre.Lisa bhanson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by -ANTM-
    To tell you the truth, Eva is the antithesis of Top Model. She's very short, pretty but lacks really great 'bones', and her personality is really not too great. If you go to models.com, and look at their list, you'll notice that Eva wouldn't fit in. Amanda would, Yaya could, and Eva simply wouldn't.
    I agree that Eva definently wouldn't fit in with the high fashion models, but I think for this competition, Tyra is looking for a more congenial model, a model that does commercials, interviews, acting along with editorials, runways etc.

    Most of the top girls models.com, are not household names, and in fact are known mostly to a select few of fashion devotees. I think Tyra is looking for more of an all around model, which I think Eva would be good for.

  4. #14
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,270
    Eva isn't very congenial, she's a primadonna without much reason to be!

  5. #15
    Nik.Nicole.Bre.Lisa bhanson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by -ANTM-
    Eva isn't very congenial, she's a primadonna without much reason to be!
    Well Eva knows how to turn it off. She was never rude to anyone on set, or panel, or go-sees, which is idealy all that matters

  6. #16
    Amanda Still Ownz Lovely_Tina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania, Mt. Carmel
    Age
    25
    Posts
    286
    I'm not going for a lengthy description...but a 'Top Model'? Eh?

    Well if you meant 'ANTM', it is whatever Tyra wants. :phhht

  7. #17
    FORT Newbie popnurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    21
    Actually on the David Letterman show, Letterman asked Tyra Banks what is the difference between a supermodel and a top model. She said that the term "supermodel" is outdated because it is so overused these days. According to her, there are only two types of model in the industry today: a model and a top model. She implied that a top model is the replacement of supermodel in 2004.

  8. #18
    CCL
    CCL is offline
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    8,502
    Quote Originally Posted by popnurse
    Actually on the David Letterman show, Letterman asked Tyra Banks what is the difference between a supermodel and a top model. She said that the term "supermodel" is outdated because it is so overused these days. According to her, there are only two types of model in the industry today: a model and a top model. She implied that a top model is the replacement of supermodel in 2004.
    It's true. Just look at the names for supermodels that ANTM gave above - they are all the old guard. Versus the current crop of models ANTM lists under the "top model" tag. The difference today is that top models are not household names as they were in the days of the supermodel.
    To answer the question then: What is a top model? I would say a model who has recognition factor. You might not know their name, but you see their work frequently (be it in editorial, covers, ads, commercials, whatever), and come to recognize them. For example, Natalia Vodianova is a top model. A lot of people wouldn't know her by name, but if you showed someone her picture, they would recognize her as being someone they have seen photos of before.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

  9. #19
    Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now!
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    It's true. Just look at the names for supermodels that ANTM gave above - they are all the old guard. Versus the current crop of models ANTM lists under the "top model" tag. The difference today is that top models are not household names as they were in the days of the supermodel.
    To answer the question then: What is a top model? I would say a model who has recognition factor. You might not know their name, but you see their work frequently (be it in editorial, covers, ads, commercials, whatever), and come to recognize them. For example, Natalia Vodianova is a top model. A lot of people wouldn't know her by name, but if you showed someone her picture, they would recognize her as being someone they have seen photos of before.


    This sounds a lot like the thread I started last cycle...

    Model, Top Model, or Supermodel?
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

  10. #20
    FORT Fogey lambikins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Well, I actually think of "America's Next Top Model" and a top model to be different things. America's Next Top Model is a title given to the winning girl, like the American Idol or the sole survivor. They're lucky if they get work after the show but it's just the title they get for winning the competition. I don't actually expect any of the girls from the show to become TOP models, or as you said, a super model. Some of them may be able to make a living out of modeling after the show but I don't think any of them will get to Tyra's status.
    I also want to add, that to me, a TOP model is someone like Tyra who is seen in print, in commercials, and can just about sell any product.

    Sadly, no matter how much I've liked each year of girls, none of them have proven to be a "top" model, just an Idol Model.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

    "lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

    "lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.