Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Who do you think will be most successful?

FORT Fogey
    I think nicole could go really far. She should've lasted longer on this show than she did. I think she would be great for runway as well as print. I think Ann also has alot of potential. I can see her doing runway. I think Yaya can be commercial and high fashion. She just needs to work on her likeability quality. Eva is the perfect winner. She is totally commercial and that is what sells. Amanda would be great in high fashion only as well as Norelle. I think Kelle could be a decent model. I dont think she is that pretty but to the industry standards, I think she might be. I find Cassie to be pretty but I dont think she has potential to make it as a successful model. She just looks like a homecoming queen to me. She is very pretty but way too boring pretty. Magdelana, Kristi, Leah I see no potential at all.

I think Norelle will go far maybe in Japan...Or pretty much anywhere,she just so cute who wouldn't want to see her in mag..Yaya i think could go far...I LOVED her covergirl add...Leah i saw the photo's of her at the final party no more soccer mom lol...and ann i think could go far to if she can work on somethings some more...but at the final party she looked amazing...well they all did so...

but i think Norelle will go really far...i hope so too lol cuz she was my fav
    Jays BabyDoll

FORT Newbie
    As much as I like some of the contestants' personalities, I seriously doubt that any of them will be successful in fashion. If they had the potential, they would have been "discovered" by now and making money. I suspect that prior to ANTM, most of the contestants were 1) unable to sign with an agency or 2) able to sign with a minor agency and were dissatisfied with the amount/quality of work that they were receiving. Either way, there are probably a number of very good reasons why all of these girls were not already successful models.
    Exposure from the show will probably land them some additional work --while their 15 minutes last. But if you don't have what it takes, you just don't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aranea
    But if you don't have what it takes, you just don't have it.
    What is this "it," anyway? There isn't a perfect formula, guaranteed and unchanging.

And I don't think Ann, for example, ever went to agencies in New York prior to the show. She was focused on school, water polo, and I doubt there are many prominent modeling scouts wandering around Erie. (No offense. ) I think Ann could work in fashion now that she has the preparation and motivation. Nothing's guaranteed and many factors come into play, but I have a lot of faith in her.

Elyse was twenty while on the show and now has a modeling career (in Asia, albeit) that I don't think one attribute to her "15 minutes of fame." It's wrong to assume that success or failure is certain for anyone.

CoverGirl or Maybelline? FaceTime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aranea
    As much as I like some of the contestants' personalities, I seriously doubt that any of them will be successful in fashion. If they had the potential, they would have been "discovered" by now and making money. I suspect that prior to ANTM, most of the contestants were 1) unable to sign with an agency or 2) able to sign with a minor agency and were dissatisfied with the amount/quality of work that they were receiving. Either way, there are probably a number of very good reasons why all of these girls were not already successful models.
    Exposure from the show will probably land them some additional work --while their 15 minutes last. But if you don't have what it takes, you just don't have it.
    I'd have to disagree as to why these girls were not already successful models. I believe that all of these girls were simply told through the years "you're so tall, pretty, whatever, you should get into modelling." In this reality TV generation they are in, when the "opportunity" popped up, they just took a shot at it. And in fact, one of the disclaimers on the application form you can download off the UPN website is that they cannot be under contract with any agency or involved in any sort of national campaign. I think they just rolled the dice to see what would happen, and like Kristi getting the shoot in In Touch magazine, some things might start popping for this group of girls. Wait and see. IMO success in modelling is not necessarily defined by bulimic "runway" drug queens like Kate Moss (who by the way is 5' 7"). IMO, reality shows are not about the contestants, they are about the "judges" personalities and the sponsors. I'd say Eva is pretty successful with a $100,000 CoverGirl non-runway contract. Man I can ramble can't I? Sorry.
    There is no "reality" in any of these shows, only ratings.
    The controversial contestants and judge's favorites are promoted from the first episode.

I think Ann, she should do runway though.
    ANTM-
    SEASON TWO: Mercades.
    SEASON THREE: Ann.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    What is this "it," anyway? There isn't a perfect formula, guaranteed and unchanging.

And I don't think Ann, for example, ever went to agencies in New York prior to the show. She was focused on school, water polo, and I doubt there are many prominent modeling scouts wandering around Erie. (No offense. ) I think Ann could work in fashion now that she has the preparation and motivation. Nothing's guaranteed and many factors come into play, but I have a lot of faith in her.

Elyse was twenty while on the show and now has a modeling career (in Asia, albeit) that I don't think one attribute to her "15 minutes of fame." It's wrong to assume that success or failure is certain for anyone.
    Good points, Salome. May I add, a lot of success in modelling is due to luck - being in the right place at the right time, meeting the one person who can give you a push up, having an agent who will really market you etc. Maybe ANTM will provide some impetus for the contestants that they wouldn't have otherwise. I hope we see at least some of them "make it."
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Newbie
    If Iman can get "discovered" at a Nairobi university and Natalia Vodianova can be "discovered" working in a grocery stall in Russia, then I find it difficult to believe that any of these Americans never crossed paths with scouts trolling shopping malls.

Maybe we don't agree on the definition of success. I expected magazine covers and national campaigns more visible than Adrienne's diamond contract. Elyse has gotten work, but I certainly don't consider her a top model. BTW, she was my favorite from cycle 1 and I honestly wish that we would have seen more work from her and the other models by now. Perhaps it is the lack of "success" of the previous contestants that makes me question the legitimacy of this entire contest.

Salome, I define "it" as the potential to be very successful at a particular time in a particular industry.

This post (as well as my previous one) will hopefully not offend anyone and is not intended in a snotty way at any forum members. Like I said earlier, I am questioning the ability of this contest to produce what it advertises.
    Last edited by Aranea; 12-22-2004 at 02:11 PM.

FORT Newbie
    I just wanted to clarify something. When I posted that I expected to see the contestants securing magazine covers and visible national campaigns, I meant campaigns other than those that they were awarded as part of the contest. Also, "Psychology Today" is not a fashion magazine --sorry Yoanna (who was my Cycle 2 favorite). I'm not trying to be snarky.

I hope we're not taking Natalia V, a girl who gets discovered selling fruit at a market (according to somewhat-edited truth), becomes a supermodel, marries into tycoon money as our template of success? I mean, jaysus - unfortunately banality does trump fairytales 98% of the time, so until Chance becomes something much more than just an errant cog in the cosmic wheel, most of us are content with half measures and compromises and miracles smaller than making it onto the cover of Vogue on our virgin foray into modeling, like a firecracker that instantly goes off and lights the sky.

ANTM obviously has its limits, and I think within its circumscribed definition of success, Elyse would count as a successful model. I think it's too much (and too hilarious besides) to expect the Antmers to become the next muse of whoever-or-oohlala-Big-Name-Designer-somebody. It's like - would you expect Harlequin to produce the next Anita Shreve? Nope. But it's fine for what it does, and I think that's what ANTM is as well.

(btw, this is not to counter your argument or anything. I've also been conflicted with the lack of rags-to-riches wunderkind success stories, but I figure if even AI, which is huge, huge compared to ANtm has only produced so far two distinctly-middlebrow entertainers in the forms of Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken, then we can't possibly expect too much of Antm, which is trying to break into an industry much less diverse and rarefied than the entertainment industry.)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011