Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TV Guide's Interview with Toccara

TV Guide's Interview with Toccara

From TV Guide Online. Link to article here.

Top Model's Toccara Sounds Off!
    by Daniel R. Coleridge

In our slightly cynical hearts, we always sensed Toccara Jones wouldn't be named America's Next Top Model (Tuesdays, 9 pm/ET on UPN). Still, the zaftig catwalker's fans held out hope until Tyra Banks and the judges suddenly booted her last week. Inevitably, we heard cries of "She was robbed!" Miss Jones agrees, but the 22-year-old Ohioan who recently relocated to New York to be closer to industry action hasn't given up.

TV Guide Online: You landed in the bottom two with Ann and she survived. I was shocked.
    Toccara Jones: You? I was speechless. I was truly, truly robbed. But just like Janice Dickinson said, I gave those skinny bitches a run for their money.

TVGO: Still, how did Ann beat you?
    Toccara: Could you believe that? This was Ann's third time down there [in the bottom two]. She herself makes remarks like, "I have a bad book. If I take a bad picture, I'm going home." And the judges sit there and say she wants it more than me? Unbelievable.

TVGO: Did you buy the judges' reasons for kicking you to the curb?
    Toccara: The panel said I lost my momentum and my personality I am appalled that they would say something like that. I never lost my momentum and I never gave up. So I'm shocked, but I think they'll regret it. I think they're regrettin' it already!

TVGO: Why are you so sure they'll regret their decision?
    Toccara: (Laughs) Because! If Toccara's not America's Next Top Model, then who?! Who possibly could be? I won Cover Girl of the Week four weeks in a row. The world loves me. That's the viewers at home voting for that. That's what matters to me, because those are the consumers who will go out and buy my magazines and the clothes and makeup that I might be endorsing. There's no black plus-size supermodel out there now they have Toccara.

TVGO: Why do you think the world needs you?
    Toccara: Not only am I plus-size, but I have curves. Most American women have curves. Cassie was on the show worrying about toning up her booty. I'm like, "Girl, booty is a good thing! We like booty!" Then you have Norelle pointing to her li'l hip bone. Embrace that. It's a shame we see these false images of women and think we have to conform. That's not normal.

TVGO: By the way, so many of Model's contestants have quirky names. Where does "Toccara" come from?
    Toccara: Originally my mother was going to name me Tazara Zolika Elaine. I think she made Zolika up. Then she switched it thank God after seeing a perfume by Avon called Toccara. They discontinued that fragrance, but they should bring it back out!

FORT Fogey
    While she comes across spunky on TV, she should be careful about coming across as too cocky in her print interviews. Great that she loves herself, but take it easy, killer.

I won Cover Girl of the Week four weeks in a row. The world loves me.

P.S. I thought news articles about contestants go in their contestant's thread? Could someone show me the rules where it talks about this so I can understand better? Like, I don't want to post a news article in a contestant's thread if you're supposed to make a whole new post for it.

{Nik - Kim for ANTM5} FairytaleDREAMS's Avatar
    She does sound rather cocky at the start but then toward the end she's more herself - funny and confident

But boy did she have a good go at Ann or what!

Woah, it didn't think Toccara was like that. She seems so cocky, and full of herself. I knew that she was confident in herself which is a good thing, but she sounded like she was on top of the world in this interview. I'm very disappointed
    I Love Constantine! Vote For Him*
    ------------ -------------

Quote Originally Posted by norelle4u
    Woah, it didn't think Toccara was like that. She seems so cocky, and full of herself. I knew that she was confident in herself which is a good thing, but she sounded like she was on top of the world in this interview. I'm very disappointed
    That's one thing about print interviews...you have NO idea what the tone was when she made those statements. She made a lot of comments on the show that could have beent taken as cocky if we didn't "see" or "hear" her when she said it.

Fort Member
    I love it. She is cocky and she is confident and she is not about to hide her feelings about getting cut. Its very much her and what she is all about confidence in yourself. I would have been disappointed if she had shrunk into something fake. I hope she does really well it was refreshing to have a normal size confident and mature young woman on the show

She should teach a self esteem class. I would love to have that kind of confidence!!

Quote Originally Posted by FairytaleDREAMS
    She does sound rather cocky at the start but then toward the end she's more herself - funny and confident

But boy did she have a good go at Ann or what!

She did. You know some people would say "Damn, talk about an egomaniac." But you know what? I'd rather hear and see someone like her than someone like Cassie who is pointing out "imperfections" and constantly worrying about the size of her hips and throwing up over the toilet in order to become the ideal for someone else's idea of beauty.
    I have learned that gifts don't always come wrapped and treasures aren't always buried.
    - Bob Perks

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    That's one thing about print interviews...you have NO idea what the tone was when she made those statements. She made a lot of comments on the show that could have beent taken as cocky if we didn't "see" or "hear" her when she said it.
    I agree, I think Toccara is far from cocky and I doubt she intended those comments to be taken that way. Either way, she does have a point, it was ridiculous of the judges to suggest Ann wanted it more and I think they used that as an excuse to get rid of Toccara.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast