Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wondering About the Photo Shoots...hmmm

Wondering About the Photo Shoots...hmmm

I'll be the first to admit I know next to nothing about the fashion/glamour industry, I don't wear makeup, I couldn't care less what my hair looks like, I'm not up on popular trends, and I got into this show completely by accident, not because I would have ever made a conscious decision to watch it. But now I'm hooked, partially because of the drama, partially because I just find it interesting. Don't ask me why.

I've seen enough snippets of "high fashion" runway shows to get that what they are trying to get the girls to do is basically what the models to do for high fashion runway shows. But as for the photo shoots...I'm wondering if they aren't taking it to an extreme.

I was in the doctor's office the other day, at a loose end with nothing to do but wait, so out of curiosity I picked up an issue of Vogue magazine. Started leafing through it, looking at the models' pictures. Now maybe I picked up the wrong magazine to judge high fashion photo shoots by, and let me know if I did, but all of the shots I saw looked fairly pedestrian. The poses were more classic and traditional, the backgrounds uncluttered if not spartan, most of the clothing was something you could wear out in public without embarrassment. No dramatic poses, no extreme wild outfits, no clown wigs, no body paint, no feathers, no glitter. No roller skates, trampolines, or deadly critters were involved.

Does what they make the girls do on this show have any bearing on reality in terms of what they may be called upon to do in real "high fashion" photo shoots? Or are they wildly exaggerating things for the sake of getting a bunch of girls to look extreme, or in some cases, extremely silly? Did I look at the wrong magazine? Or am I just not getting it?

FORT Regular
    They have the girls do it ALL. They want to make sure they can exceed at all realms of modeling. Look at the Lee Jeans shoot, the Beauty shot, and the swimsuit show---I would hardly call those extreme. Nut of course, when it comes to a competition, and training, you have to go extreme.

As with any training, they train you for the most extreme situations, that way no matter what, you'll be prepared.

I haven't forgotten about the earlier shoots, but I would like to see them do something simple and editorial for a change. Something really about the clothes, for example:

FORT Fogey
    Most things are edgy more based on the models poses. The clothes shouldn't be upstaged by the scenery. This is pretty much as outrageous as it gets:

CCL
    Ah, ANTM, I love Natalia V's Alice in Wonderland shot.

I have to say, I was flipping through Vogue the other day and came upon a 2 page spread with the model posing in a meat locker, complete with hanging slabs of meat. I think I'd rather pose in the crazy clown disco look....

Quote Originally Posted by Laballatician
    They have the girls do it ALL. They want to make sure they can exceed at all realms of modeling. Look at the Lee Jeans shoot, the Beauty shot, and the swimsuit show---I would hardly call those extreme. Nut of course, when it comes to a competition, and training, you have to go extreme.

As with any training, they train you for the most extreme situations, that way no matter what, you'll be prepared.
    That makes sense. I guess if you can do the more outrageous things, like posing with arachnids, hanging in mid-air, and with nothing but grease paint on, you should be able to handle the more mundane assignments.

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    I haven't forgotten about the earlier shoots, but I would like to see them do something simple and editorial for a change. Something really about the clothes, for example:
    Ah, I love Lisa Cant. And I agree; something simple and editorial would be nice after all the clownish photo shoots.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Premium Member
    I'm not into fashion either, I have no idea how to even put on makeup but for whatever reason I love this show..but some of these shoots have gotta go.

I have a crappy memory so I could be totally wrong but I don't remember last season's shots being quite so out there. I could stand to see a few shoots without clown makeup/glitter/gymnastics/etc

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

I forgot to say...guess I have to turn off the "accelerator" program on my browser when looking at pictures. That Alice in Wonderland picture looked to me like Brad Pitt in drag!!! (hee hee hee)

Not only am I tired of extreme modelling, but I would like to see more bits like when Janice was teaching them how to pose. This season is a little too much about the drama and not enough "teaching how to model". I feel we aren't seeing the progression enough. We hardly see anything of Nicole's shoots, it's all certain models screwing up and jay shaking his head. Blah. Hope next season is better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast