Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Far Will This Season's Winner Go?

Quote Originally Posted by caramelbeauty81
    It seems the time of the "supermodel" is pretty much over.
    I agree. The only remaining trace seems to be the competition to get the SI swimsuit issue cover, and I don't seen that in any ANTM contestants future.

I find it ironic that, except for people in the fashion industry, most people can't even name 5 current working top models but many more could name 5 ANTM contestants.

In the celebrity crazed internet age, you don't need a top model to create buzz for a line. Without the fashion houses and cosmetic companies pushing THIER girls, the whole supermodel thing has just faded away.

Quote Originally Posted by Laballatician
    Do you think she will actually achieve Top Model status?
    No. There girls' names are writ in water. Surreal Life sounds the death knell.

So, how well will this year's girl do?
    I'd guess somewhere between average and mediocre. Still, we live in hope.

FORT Fan
    I'm disappointed to hear that Adrienne will be on Surreal Life, because it does seem to consign her to has-been status, even though she should be right in the middle of her career. She's not too old.

It does seem like the golden age of models has passed. Even the biggest names today are unknown and unrecognisable to most consumers today. I mean, when Cindy Crawford sold you a watch, you KNEW who it was selling you that watch. Now, I see the girls in the Prada, Gucchi, Louis Vuitton ads, and maybe I know their names, but they have definitely not translated to household status. I think it's partially because today's models are a strange looking lot. The baby doll look that is so popular now is not one to catch hold of the average American. Even though I think it's pretty cool, I like trends in beauty as much as trends in clothing, film, etc. Can you imagine some college freshman proudly tacking up his Jessica Stam poster? Never happen, but tons of guys used to have posters of Cindy, Heidi, Claudia, etc.

If this season's winner is Norelle, she could do very well in today's market. However, she won't gain the status of the models of the past that we think of as "top models".

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Astridr
    I read some time ago that Adrienne chose to go to South Africa where there really are quite alot of jobs but a lot of models choose not to go to. That may be why we dont see much of her. Actually, I do see Ann making it pretty far in the industry. She's pretty much built for it, physically and she's got a great tv personality, IMHO, though some might debate over this..
    Toccara also has a personality that could possibly win her exposure in the entertainment industry but I dont see her winning this, or being a top model.
    Adrianne went to South Africa but didn't get any work, as I recall. She is supposed to be going to Australia in the coming year so maybe she will have some sucess (hopefully) Down Under. This is from reading her livejournal web site.
    I hadn't heard about her being on The Surreal Life. That's...interesting.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    Adrianne went to South Africa but didn't get any work, as I recall. She is supposed to be going to Australia in the coming year so maybe she will have some sucess (hopefully) Down Under. This is from reading her livejournal web site.
    I hadn't heard about her being on The Surreal Life. That's...interesting.

This is very disturbing. No job in South Africa. I am thinking that she had to go there because there were no jobs here for her. I imagine that the modeling industry is very saturated. Lot of tall, young, beautiful women out there. Looking pretty for the camera is a girl's dream. So, I imagine a lot of teenagers are feeling the slots. The contestants lack legitimacy because they went through a cheezy competition. I'd hate to be a reality show winner.

Adrianne, it seems to me, had a lot of flaws too. She's kind of ordinary, girl on the street. Beautiful, but not stricking. Many tall, dark eyes, dark hair women are out that sparkle more than she does. I thought she was sort of plain, and talked street. Maybe likable, but not a star by any means.

Anya | Kata | Aimee so into you's Avatar
    I agree with Laballatician.

I don't see Yoanna? on magazines, ads, runway...
    I see Shandi more, even Xiomara, and April more....
    beauty is only skin deep.

FORT Fogey
    I see April often, Shandi quite often, even Camille gets bookings.

IMO, Adrianne doesn't even DESERVE to be on the surreal life. She wasn't even that famous after she won ANTM, nevermind nowadays. She has let a lacklustre career that will make people go HMM? She isn't a one hit wonder or even just somebody with a catch phrase.

This season, I see Norelle and Ann going 'far'. Nobody else will make the grade. In plus sized, I don't really care as I'm not into plus sized fashion.

Anti All Things CoverGirl
    Where are you guys getting this info? I don't see any of them anywhere!
    Last edited by lifeisastory; 11-06-2004 at 04:58 PM.

Elyse looking famous Poor Grace's Avatar
    Check out some of the S1 and S2 threads, life; there are a lot of links and pics to things the girls have done.

Mercedes from S1 is having a decent career; I saw her on an commercial for Hewlitt Packard computers, also a Target ad. Yoanna's been a quite a few high-profile ads: catalouges, commercials, runway shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Grace
    Check out some of the S1 and S2 threads, life; there are a lot of links and pics to things the girls have done.
    Elyse seems to have conquered Asia from all the Hong Kong sightings. I've seen both Mercedes and April in commercials.

But we're discussing this season here, and I still agree with others that not winning seems to be the key. Whoever doesn't win has a bit more control over her career than the winner, which just might be the key to being able to use the ANTM exposure to jump start a career. I'm rooting for Eva NOT to win, just for that reason.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast