Thread: Top Model's "Wardrobe Malfunction"

eny
    FORT Fogey

Top Model's "Wardrobe Malfunction"

Top Model's "Wardrobe Malfunction"
    http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider/041102b.asp
    by Daniel R. Coleridge
    Kelle
    Poor little rich girl Kelle Jacob had it rough on America's Next Top Model (Wednesdays at 9 pm/ET on UPN). Though she was named best live window mannequin in the La Perla lingerie challenge, she still landed in the bottom two for three consecutive weeks. The judges criticized her photos. Her rivals called her "spoiled" and accused her of "acting too white." Worst of all, Kelle suffered her very own Janet Jackson moment last week, just before Tyra Banks cut her. Here, TV Guide Online commiserates with the 20-year-old New Yorker about her Modeling drama.

TV Guide Online: You're just as lovely as the other gals. What made your photos turn out so badly?
    Kelle Jacob: Being criticized so much, I became very self-conscious, and that hindered me. And maybe I'm just not photogenic enough to be a model. I mean, I worked with some of the greatest people [in the industry] and still ended up looking like a platypus.

TVGO: Ha! Props for that. At least you have a sense of humor.
    Kelle: (Laughs) Yeah. Thank God!

TVGO: Why were you poured into a strapless dress for the trampoline photo shoot? You had a Super Bowl incident!
    Kelle: I know. I had a little "wardrobe malfunction." It's so crazy because I originally had straps. When I was getting on the trampoline, a strap came unhooked. They said, "We can't ruin the couture," so they took the other strap off. There was no way my boobs were just gonna sit still, but they told me, "Just be conscious of your body." And I was I was conscious when my breasts fell out of the dress!

TVGO: As an only child myself, I think you got a raw deal on that subject.
    Kelle: I know. I don't ever mean to talk down to anyone. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings or seemed snooty.

TVGO: Some girls, like Eva, also criticized you for "acting too white."
    Kelle: I hate that! I don't see why the way one dresses, speaks or acts can determine one's race. I looked in the mirror this morning and I was black. I don't really see that changing anytime soon. I don't know how I could embrace being black any more. You are what you are. Your actions don't determine your race.

TVGO: Your rivals seemed to feel you weren't "ghetto" enough.
    Kelle: I don't think it's appropriate to say every black person needs to be that way. They never personally confronted me about it, but I've been dealing with that my whole life. The upper-middle-class African-American family is underrepresented on reality TV shows. There are tons of us who have the same opportunities and privileges as upper-middle-class white people and are still black.

TVGO: Why were you so disliked? You didn't seem so bad.
    Kelle: It was literally everyone in a room talking about me with each other. It was pretty bad. I wasn't sure what I'd done to deserve it. It's a mob mentality with people becoming companions by targeting someone.

TVGO: You survived. So what's next?
    Kelle: I'm continuing to run my own art gallery. I'm also studying art history at Hunter College in Manhattan. I'm hoping for lotsa modeling requests, but after looking at my pictures, I'm not sure how stellar my modeling career will be!

Quote Originally Posted by eny
    TVGO: Your rivals seemed to feel you weren't "ghetto" enough.
    Kelle: I don't think it's appropriate to say every black person needs to be that way. They never personally confronted me about it, but I've been dealing with that my whole life. The upper-middle-class African-American family is underrepresented on reality TV shows. There are tons of us who have the same opportunities and privileges as upper-middle-class white people and are still black.!
    I think for someone to describe a black person as being "ghetto" is stereotypical. Not every person of color has come from a difficult background. Furthermore, speaking as a person from my generation (early 20's), I think that a colored person has every opportunity a white person has. And if that is not the case, it needs to change real quick.

I admire Kelle for not falling prey to to the stereotype, and being proud of herself and her accomplishments. Why is it that the idea of a black person being from the "ghetto" so much more comforting to others, instead of a person of privilege? She got somewhere. She is succeeding. Why does Eva need to make an issue out of her success? Shouldn't Eva want that for herself as well?
    I used to have a handle on life... but then it broke off.

I was about to say the same thing. Why do people always think that black people are trying to describe themselves as ghetto. If they tell Kelle to embrace her "blackness" it doesn't mean they want her to act ghetto. None of the other girls were "ghetto". The media always describes black people as either one of two things: ghetto or acting white. None of this choices are right. They speak as if ALL blacks arose from the ghetto.

I like Kelle. She seems like a sweet girl.

I didn't like her on the show, but I liked that interview. She seems very articulate. Best of luck to her!

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanQueen
    I was about to say the same thing. Why do people always think that black people are trying to describe themselves as ghetto. If they tell Kelle to embrace her "blackness" it doesn't mean they want her to act ghetto. None of the other girls were "ghetto". The media always describes black people as either one of two things: ghetto or acting white. None of this choices are right. They speak as if ALL blacks arose from the ghetto.

I like Kelle. She seems like a sweet girl.
    Right. You can be black and be very successful. You can be white and living on the street. Poverty and wealth is not restricted to colors.

Kelle seems really sweet, I'm surprised the other girls bitched about her so much!

It's true, Kelle presents herself much better in this interview than she did on the show.

However...While I agree that it's prejudiced and just plain wrong to expect anyone to act a certain way simply because they are of a certain race, as I recall, Kelle was the one who did the most to advance the notion herself as a "white girl with a really good tan," so in that sense she is at least partially to blame for the criticism of being whitewashed.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    It's true, Kelle presents herself much better in this interview than she did on the show.

However...While I agree that it's prejudiced and just plain wrong to expect anyone to act a certain way simply because they are of a certain race, as I recall, Kelle was the one who did the most to advance the notion herself as a "white girl with a really good tan," so in that sense she is at least partially to blame for the criticism of being whitewashed.
    Yes, SFG, you are right. Good point.

Happy Voting day to all the American's on the board!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl

If you think about it, because most black people are mixed with some kind of caucasian, you could say most black people are white people with a really good tan! But I digress........I don't think the spirit of her tan comment was to say that she wanted to be white or whatever, I think it was a joke about how people are surprised by the way she talks, given her coloring. It's like a black person who opens their mouth and has an English accent, it's a curious oddity that takes you by surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTimeBear
    It's like a black person who opens their mouth and has an English accent, it's a curious oddity that takes you by surprise!
    I dont think that would be suprising at all, many black people have english accents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast