Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top Model's "Wardrobe Malfunction"

Am I the only one who thought I heard her say that her friends sometimes refer to her as a white girl with a really good tan? I didn't ever hear her say that she herself thought she was like that and should be perceived like that.

You're not alone on that. I definitely remember it that way too.

I just re-watched the first couple of episodes (for a little perspective) and I think the passage of time may have blunted a few things or made people forgetful. Being criticized didn't make Kelle a lousy model, she was inherently a lousy model, and will always be a lousy model. She does sound better in this interview, true, but she didn't say anything about her "snout" or her "monkey mouth" which was very off putting to the other African American girls. There wasn't the endless crying and self-pitying whining there was on the program. If I'd been stuck in tha SUV with Kelle in "my backyard" I would have found her as insufferably annoying as the rest of the girls did.

That being said, she's obviously not the b!tch some of the other girls have turned out to be, and she clearly didn't have a clue as to how irritating she was at the time. Now that she's not in that milieu, is away from the pressure and criticism, and in a more cocooned, secure environment, she'll probably do a lot better. And run her art gallery for the rest of her life.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_wipes
    Am I the only one who thought I heard her say that her friends sometimes refer to her as a white girl with a really good tan? I didn't ever hear her say that she herself thought she was like that and should be perceived like that.
    Well, she's not going to say that explicitly. But by repeating it and declaring it proudly every chance she got, she is indicating through her actions that she wants to be perceived as such. By my count, she did it on at least 3 different occasions (that we saw on air, so who knows, it may be the way she introduces herself), and it was noticeable enough that others (e.g. Yaya) made fun of her because of it. The reason this irritates me is that she's the one creating a relationship between race & behavior. Why is the way she acts "white" and all ghetto behavior supposedly "black"? IMO, she's the one making assumptions about people based on stereotypes.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Closet Fan
    I just re-watched the first couple of episodes (for a little perspective) and I think the passage of time may have blunted a few things or made people forgetful. Being criticized didn't make Kelle a lousy model, she was inherently a lousy model, and will always be a lousy model. She does sound better in this interview, true, but she didn't say anything about her "snout" or her "monkey mouth" which was very off putting to the other African American girls. There wasn't the endless crying and self-pitying whining there was on the program. If I'd been stuck in tha SUV with Kelle in "my backyard" I would have found her as insufferably annoying as the rest of the girls did.

That being said, she's obviously not the b!tch some of the other girls have turned out to be, and she clearly didn't have a clue as to how irritating she was at the time. Now that she's not in that milieu, is away from the pressure and criticism, and in a more cocooned, secure environment, she'll probably do a lot better. And run her art gallery for the rest of her life.
    Hopefully she does not concede. If it made her a better person, she can use the criticism and become a better model.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12