Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smiling models

Smiling models

Whatever happened to happy smiling models?!?!?!

After a while of seeing sullen, depressed, stoic, "fierce" faces, it gets rather old!

Just for ONCE I'd like to see how these ladies will look like in a photo were they're looking POSITIVE!

I know it's not going to happen...

I'll go sit in my corner and glamorously brood...

Don't worry. The Stoics believed in ekpyrosis. So does fashion. The models will smile again!

FORT Newbie
    The reason models don't smile in fashion shows and stuff is because it takes attention away from the clothes.

Certified Snarkypants SaucyRedhead77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Martin
    The reason models don't smile in fashion shows and stuff is because it takes attention away from the clothes.
    Exactamundo. Contrary to what most models seem to think, they are not the center of the Universe, or even of the shot most of the time. I mean broken down really, they are human clothes hangers. That's it.

CHECK YA LATERRRRRR! princessmorgan's Avatar
    Yes, I saw that on Oprah the other day! She was in Paris talking with Valinteno *swoon*and she's like "why y'all never smile" (or something like that) and they said like this is serious work, this is their business. People aren't there to look at the models (well, MOST people aren't) they are clients looking at the clothes! I guess they're supposed to be like walking mannequins?
    Morgs

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Martin
    Yep - the runway model is a "walking clotheshanger." The catwalk is not her "stage" - it is the designer's and the garment's stage.

At least that is what I have been told <laugh!>

KK

I understand not wanting to pull attention away from the clothes...but why do they all have to have a serial killer intensity when walking....they can be a little too Matrixish...or maybe that's just the "fire behind their eyes" as Tyra would put it.

They could smile if they are advertising something on TV or in a magazine. And I've seen the hair color/beauty product models smile in TV commercials, so I guess they don't always have to look surly.

CCL
    I'll give you the no smiling during the runwalk - it is the designer's show and he can do what he want. But I don't see why models can't smile in ad campaigns/editorial. They used to all the time; now it is very rare. I don't see how a beaming smile would detract from the clothes/whatever the woman is modelling - if anything it would attract people to the picture. I'm not saying they should smile all the time (especially if it doesn't go with the "mood" of the shoot) but more often would be nice.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

all I'm saying is isn't there a middle ground between a fullout grin and facial hostility?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast