Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smiling models

{Nik - Kim for ANTM5} FairytaleDREAMS's Avatar
    The 80's supermodels used to, most of the time, have those big brilliant white smiles that was really attractive in my opinion!

Anyway, sometimes smiling models are distracting though! But anything is better than some pouts models these days use (Kate Moss and other doll-looking models really suit pouts though)

Anti All Things CoverGirl
    I would guess that it also has something to do with uniformity among the models, and also because there are tons of photographers, and if the models remain stoic, they're less likely to be caught with some weird expression on their faces.

That's just a guess, though.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Whether models smile on the catwalk is entirely up to the designer or stylist for the show. Almost all shows have a mood board near the entrance to the catwalk, that tell tells the models what the theme and expression that they are to try and convey while walking. Some shows are very choreographed with the models actually acting out vignettes (the Fall 04 Louis Verdad show is a good example). Personally, I think that models should have a fairly pleasant, but blank expression on thier faces, otherwise it comes accross that they don't enjoy wearing the clothes. While it is serious work, it shouldn't look like its unpleasant.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by SaucyRedhead77
    Exactamundo. Contrary to what most models seem to think, they are not the center of the Universe, or even of the shot most of the time. I mean broken down really, they are human clothes hangers. That's it.
    I can see your point how it may detract from the clothes but, wouldn't it be nice to see someone who looks like they're enjoying the clothing their wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by princessmorgan
    Yes, I saw that on Oprah the other day! She was in Paris talking with Valinteno *swoon*and she's like "why y'all never smile" (or something like that) and they said like this is serious work, this is their business. People aren't there to look at the models (well, MOST people aren't) they are clients looking at the clothes! I guess they're supposed to be like walking mannequins?

If they're not there to look at the models, why does it matter what the look like then? Honestly! lol. I know high fashion runway clothes aren't made for plus models but still.. if they say that people aren't there to look at the models.. why does it matter. meh.

FORT Fogey
    It matters what they look like because the clothes look nicer on skinny, pretty women.

I actually don't like when models smile :lo They look out of the norm I guess.

I guess it makes them seem less human.(?) Kinda like Rei Ayanami of Evangelion.

note: And I have to say-- DSquared2 do great fashion shows. Most of their models strike funky poses at the end of the runway.
    Last edited by oy!Carol; 11-08-2004 at 05:11 AM.

I would think that you could see more pleasant expressions at the buyers shows than the fashion week premieres. After all, the buyers need to decide if the public would enjoy/buy the clothes. Has anyone here been to both types? Noticed a difference? Chorita?

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Buyer's shows are quite different from the "public" shows. Usually held in the Designer's showroom or studio, they don't always have live models. Depending on how big of a buyer you are, you are lucky if you get 2 live models. Static manniquins and racks of hanging clothes are the norm. When you do get live models, there isn't the elaborate hair and makeup, they usually have the standard blank expression. This is a time when they really don't want to distract from the clothing, though models are sometimes asked questions about how they felt the dress flowed or fit.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast