Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Whyy did they pick this group?

Whyy did they pick this group?

Anyone have any thoughts about why they picked this group? We've got short (for modelling) women, we've got one with bad skin, we've got one plus size (gorgeous woman, but not for regular modelling), we've got downright homely (IMO Magdalena, Leah and Kristi). What is up with this? A few years ago I saw a show about a contest for Sports Illustrated and they had a better group than this (and I understand about "interesting looking high fashion versus the more straigh-ahead SI look). I just don't think they chose the best in some situations. Is it all about the drama? ANTM season one had lots of drama, but without the height thing or the skin thing. If everyone was of Elyse's calibre it would be a more interesting contest. Bring back the redcoats!

Crystal Allen

Who'd apply for this?

Well, IMO you have to think about who'd be applying for this show. Anyone young/tall/skinny enough to be signed by a modeling agency would just go to the agency and get signed. Why go through all the trouble to make an audition tape, travel to LA, humiliate yourself on national TV and be tagged as "the girl that won that reality show" unless you had to?

Alternately, agencies would have scouts that would snap up young/tall/skinny girls and sign them. So right off the bat anyone applying to be on this show would likely be in the second or third tier of potential models. It's already been said that most models begin when they're under 18, whereas for this show they must be 18 or over.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by elfgirl
    Anyone have any thoughts about why they picked this group? We've got short (for modelling) women, we've got one with bad skin, we've got one plus size (gorgeous woman, but not for regular modelling), we've got downright homely (IMO Magdalena, Leah and Kristi). What is up with this? A few years ago I saw a show about a contest for Sports Illustrated and they had a better group than this (and I understand about "interesting looking high fashion versus the more straigh-ahead SI look). I just don't think they chose the best in some situations. Is it all about the drama? ANTM season one had lots of drama, but without the height thing or the skin thing. If everyone was of Elyse's calibre it would be a more interesting contest. Bring back the redcoats!
    Re: Toccara. She can do regular modelling! I'd love to see her in a fashion magazine personally. Plus the larger size market is increasing exponentially (no pun intended) so there are more and more opportunities for bigger girls. I even saw an ad for ( I think it was skin cream ? ) that made a point of using a larger model even though the product was not size-specific.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    Plus the larger size market is increasing exponentially (no pun intended)
    Oh, LOL

it's because tyra wants a mixed group.. it's like saying, " every girl has the potential to become a model " ^^ and also, whoever gets the title will *not* be a competition for tyra ^o^

Anti All Things CoverGirl
    Tyra also said she looks for girls with Type A personalities

FORT Regular
    Six degrees i agreed with a lot of what you said but i do not think that Trya would be trying to quash the competiton though.
    These models do seem to be an odd bunch to me, for one not many of them have a good figure at all in my opinion and a few are too short as well and some have been just plain old unattractive. I don't get having one outside model either, although she is doing her bit for larger ladies i am just not feeling that at all but good luck to her.

You would think that they would be able to pick better out there or at least the standard height.

FORT Newbie
    I agree, I've been asking myself this same question. Last season they had some really strong candidates: Shandi, Mercedes, April, and of course Yoanna. They had drama with Catie and clueless Camille. They had likable girls, Mercedes especially. This season's field seems particularly weak. Eva is cute and I like her feistiness, but she doesn't seem high fashion to me. Amanda is too nuts for me to respond to. Ann leaves me cold. I like Toccara very much. Nicole is pretty but doesn't stand out in any way in terms of personality (at least so far). Norelle takes good photos but I don't like her personality, and especially her way of speaking. How would she be a spokesmodel? Yaya is lovely, hope her skin clears up, she is the only one with a clear shot to win IMO. But I'd like to see Toccara win. The petty fights involved so many people it was hard to keep track. Other seasons had more clear-cut animosities between two or three people. Sorry to ramble, I have the flu and am on a lot of cold remedies!

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by rachie
    Six degrees i agreed with a lot of what you said but i do not think that Trya would be trying to quash the competiton though.
    These models do seem to be an odd bunch to me, for one not many of them have a good figure at all in my opinion and a few are too short as well and some have been just plain old unattractive. I don't get having one outside model either, although she is doing her bit for larger ladies i am just not feeling that at all but good luck to her.

You would think that they would be able to pick better out there or at least the standard height.
    I have to *respectfully* disagree. While a lot of the models chosen are not your stereotypical high-fashion model types, there are a few who have those characteristics. Ann, for example, while crazy, has a great body and a beautiful face that I could easily see being on the cover of magazines. Kristi has a nice body with nice height (even Janice said her body was perfectly symmetrical) - not everyone liked her face but then I don't like a lot of fashion models' faces (everyone likes something different). Norelle has the height, body, face as well. Jennipher & Cassie also have the height/body/face thing going on.

Oh. And I have to add - while they might not be *high fashion* types, there is a lot of different modelling types (I know you know that) . A top model, to me, is one who is doing well, be it in high fashion, or in Gap ads or Maybelline ads or catalogues even. In one of the videos, Jen says that she didn't come into the show wanting to be a runway model but wanted to do ads and stuff (ie CoverGirl type stuff I guess).
    Last edited by CCL; 10-15-2004 at 11:29 PM.

As someone who's been around the modeling world a bit, I have to agree with the sentiment expressed by elfgirl. I am constantly wondering how this group ended up in the finals. Not every tall, skinny, interesting, appealing girl has been found by an agency yet. Look at the past 2 seasons. And many top agencies will not let you just walk in and ask for representation. This show is great exposure. I attended a major modeling competition recently, and I feel like the girls I saw there were more "model-like" than the group on TV. No, I don't think they're all unattractive. But to be a top model you have to be a triple-threat. You've got to have the looks, the personality, and the presence. The only girl I consistently see that out of is Toccara. I hope she wins the competition. Yaya is beautiful, but she is far too withdrawn. I almost forget she's even there. Eva is gorgeous, and I think she's got a shot at a modeling career, but she needs to simmer down. Amanda...not too impressed. Norelle just seems like an awkward kid, and I really do not find her attractive, either. Ann is too built. She doesn't have a model's structure. Not high-fashion. She'd be a good swimsuit model. Kelle is just a pretty girl, but she is also too quiet to make it. I can't even think of the other girls' names, which is not good for a potential modeling career. They're too everyday. This is just my opinion. Don't hate me if yours is different. That's why opinions are opinions, not facts.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast