Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Whyy did they pick this group?

Quote Originally Posted by -ANTM-
    big isn't beautiful. big is unhealthy and leads to all sorts of problems. people saying big is beautiful is a big part of why society is getting fatter and sicker. read the national geographic article about fat from eariler this year or watch the news - every doctor will tell you that big isn't beautiful and its unhealthy.
    I think we need to differentiate between appearance and health, and health and beauty. Fat and thin do not necessarily equal unhealthy. Unhealthy does not equal unattractive. By your logic, doctors might consider the only beautiful girl this season to be Jennipher, because she's the only girl within the healthy weight range (a completely outdated system that's still used). And doctors don't decide what is beautiful, anyway. We decide as individuals and as a society. Across human history, we have considered people of many different sizes to be beautiful, and in the long run I don't think that's ever going to change.

Maybe you don't find beauty in large people. That's fine, if what I consider an extremely limited perspective. But please don't make such large statements that don't hold true for everyone and could potentially be extremely hurtful to some members. Obviously, many of us think Toccara is beautiful. How can you deny that? Do you look at Rubens and Botticelli and think ugly?

EDIT: ANTM, I hope you don't think I'm singling you out. I still enjoy many of your posts and am glad you're here.
    Last edited by Salome; 10-17-2004 at 10:29 AM.

FORT Regular
    -ANTM- you do raise some good points, it seems like these days that it is ok to be overweight. Lets not forget that being overweight is a health hazard and puts strain on the body.

Also CCL surely if we dig back far enough in somebody's family tree you will find that they have diverse ethnic background. I cannot see which way myself Norelle looks Japannese but maybe that is just me. I cannot see the Native Indian connection in Jennipher either.
    ANTM has been quite diverse though and i wouldn't agree that they have failed in this area.

Salome a healthy body weight for people over the age of 25 begins at 18.5 well that is what most doctors use or maybe 19 in some cases. And Jenniper is not the only one who falls into that remit.
    Nicole is also within that range. She has a bmi of 19 as is Eva within the healthy range if we take it to be 18.5 and Kelle is 0.1 away from it although she is only 20 so would not be classified as underweight.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    Norelle: Asian? ( I definetely see her having some Asian ancestors. Specifically Japanese).
    It's funny that you say that. I see something very Japanese in Norelle, too, in her face and even in little mannerisms and the way she stands. (You might have to be pretty familiar with Japanese people to notice these traits.) It's strange, because I do not believe she actually has any Asian ancestors.

Quote Originally Posted by rachie
    Salome a healthy body weight for people over the age of 25 begins at 18.5 well that is what most doctors use or maybe 19 in some cases. And Jenniper is not the only one who falls into that remit.
    Nicole is also within that range. She has a bmi of 19 as is Eva within the healthy range if we take it to be 18.5 and Kelle is 0.1 away from it although she is only 20 so would not be classified as underweight.
    Oh, sorry! I am quite familiar with the BMI, but didn't both to calculate it for all the girls and was only relying on something someone said earlier. Maybe even from last season? Details, details... you get my point!

I don't understand this assertion that it is considered okay to be overweight in America. I see the exact opposite. I see a large portion of the population being discriminated against, and it really disgusts me.

FORT Fogey
    Yeah i thought she looked Asian sometimes too
    Remember when the Jean Shot was first released everyone thought she was Asian?
    She looks Asian here:

Well, should unhealthy be attractive in the first place? Perhaps if we as a society make more of an effort to equate beauty with health, there would be less eating disorders and unhealthy body weights all around. So I think I do agree with ANTM in that sense, but at the same time, it is hard for a lot of people to lose/gain weight (weaknesses are all too human, after all), and some of these people don't need their self-esteem to be further crippled by a society that tells them they're not beautiful, neither.

Rachie, I think the Native American connection for Jennipher is based on her broad structure of her cheekbones.

It's strange - I never noticed that Norelle looks particularly Japanese. I did think Elyse looked very Eurasian, though, which could be one of the reasons I liked her so much.

FORT Fogey
    Well we Know that Norelle's mom is White, maybe her dad is related to Asian somehow...

Ideally, I would like contemporary standards of beauty to not be so limited. It doesn't have to be all or nothing in any direction. That's my perfect world. Why this topic is upsetting me so much? I've been though it a million times before. Sorry if I'm being too argumentative.

I think Elyse looks like a (male ) anime character in this photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FORT Regular
    Maybe it differs in the UK then in the US then. I wouldn't have thought it does but maybe it does. I am not referring to the obese, i am talking about those who are overweight. The rates of obesity are growing in western countries and a lot of people are content to do nothing about it. There are now more overweight people in the US i believe than people who are at a healthy weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Salome

I don't understand this assertion that it is considered okay to be overweight in America. I see the exact opposite. I see a large portion of the population being discriminated against, and it really disgusts me.

FORT Regular
    Thank you for letting me know nausicaa
    Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa

Rachie, I think the Native American connection for Jennipher is based on her broad structure of her cheekbones.