Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Whyy did they pick this group?

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by IceBean
    As someone who's been around the modeling world a bit, I have to agree with the sentiment expressed by elfgirl. I am constantly wondering how this group ended up in the finals. Not every tall, skinny, interesting, appealing girl has been found by an agency yet. Look at the past 2 seasons. And many top agencies will not let you just walk in and ask for representation. This show is great exposure. I attended a major modeling competition recently, and I feel like the girls I saw there were more "model-like" than the group on TV. No, I don't think they're all unattractive. But to be a top model you have to be a triple-threat. You've got to have the looks, the personality, and the presence. The only girl I consistently see that out of is Toccara. I hope she wins the competition. Yaya is beautiful, but she is far too withdrawn. I almost forget she's even there. Eva is gorgeous, and I think she's got a shot at a modeling career, but she needs to simmer down. Amanda...not too impressed. Norelle just seems like an awkward kid, and I really do not find her attractive, either. Ann is too built. She doesn't have a model's structure. Not high-fashion. She'd be a good swimsuit model. Kelle is just a pretty girl, but she is also too quiet to make it. I can't even think of the other girls' names, which is not good for a potential modeling career. They're too everyday. This is just my opinion. Don't hate me if yours is different. That's why opinions are opinions, not facts.
    Good points. It is a reality show though so they want to have pretty people who have attitudes/problems/crazy pasts/whatever. I'm sure if a really beautiful, but really boring, girl came in they'd (most likely) turn her down.

FORT Regular
    CCL i do agree with you that there have been a few there who do have a good body for high fashion.
    I know that there are different types of modelling out there and you do make a good point by restating that fact but such a competition of this standard you would think that more cross over models would have applied and a better higher standard in general.
    Those were just my gut feelings though.
    Don't get me wrong i do feel that Cassie, Norelle and Yaya are the only contenders here with the possibility of Kelle but i do not think that she is all that special. The rest to me are average at best and do not stand out and would maybe struggle to get a contract in the modelling world in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    I have to *respectfully* disagree. While a lot of the models chosen are not your stereotypical high-fashion model types, there are a few who have those characteristics. Ann, for example, while crazy, has a great body and a beautiful face that I could easily see being on the cover of magazines. Kristi has a nice body with nice height (even Janice said her body was perfectly symmetrical) - not everyone liked her face but then I don't like a lot of fashion models' faces (everyone likes something different). Norelle has the height, body, face as well. Jennipher & Cassie also have the height/body/face thing going on.

Oh. And I have to add - while they might not be *high fashion* types, there is a lot of different modelling types (I know you know that) . A top model, to me, is one who is doing well, be it in high fashion, or in Gap ads or Maybelline ads or catalogues even. In one of the videos, Jen says that she didn't come into the show wanting to be a runway model but wanted to do ads and stuff (ie CoverGirl type stuff I guess).

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by rachie
    CCL i do agree with you that there have been a few there who do have a good body for high fashion.
    I know that there are different types of modelling out there and you do make a good point by restating that fact but such a competition of this standard you would think that more cross over models would have applied and a better higher standard in general.
    Those were just my gut feelings though.
    Don't get me wrong i do feel that Cassie, Norelle and Yaya are the only contenders here with the possibility of Kelle but i do not think that she is all that special. The rest to me are average at best and do not stand out and would maybe struggle to get a contract in the modelling world in the real world.
    Re: "A competition of this standard"...I wonder what most modelling agencies think of ANTM? Would be interesting to know. It seems like Wilhemina dropped Adrienne as soon as her contract expired...

FORT Regular
    That was a general question i know but i just wanted to add anyway that i am not from the USA or Canada but adore this show and follow it on the UPN site and this site so i am not actually knowlegable of the US modelling industry.I do get to see this show about six months later. What i do know is what exists in europe in regards to modelling agencies etc.
    I do think that as the show progresses that some people will be beginning to maybe warm to some girls because of their personality more and begin to see something in them whereas i do see glimpses of their personality through the discussion but i mainly go on their pictures alone to form judgements of the contestants.
    We did have a very similar to show to this in the UK and it was imported to the states and the overall standard was pretty high.

In regards to Adriene, it is sad that she was dropped because i thought that she had potential.

Re: "A competition of this standard"...I wonder what most modelling agencies think of ANTM? Would be interesting to know. It seems like Wilhemina dropped Adrienne as soon as her contract expired...
    Last edited by rachie; 10-15-2004 at 11:24 PM.

CCL
    That was a general question i know but i just wanted to add anyway that i am not from the USA or Canada but adore this show and follow it on the UPN site and this site so i am not actually knowlegable of the US modelling industry.I do get to see this show about six months later. What i do know is what exists in europe in regards to modelling agencies etc.
    I do think that as the show progresses that some people will be beginning to maybe warm to some girls because of their personality more and begin to see something in therm whereas i do see glimpses of their personality through the discussion but i mainly go on their pictures alone to form judgements of the contestants.
    We did have a very similar to show to this in the UK and it was imported to the states and the overall standard was pretty high.

In regards to Adriene, it is sad that she was dropped because i thought that she had potential.
    Ah yes. I saw part of that show when I was on vacation. They had men as well as women models? Two cute twin brothers as I recall...I didn't get to see the full show (just the beginning trials) so I can't comment on how the show differs/compares to ANTM. Did they all live in the same house? Judging by your Big Brother though, reality shows in the UK can have nutty contestants as well!
    Adrienne will survive I think - she's a trooper. Apparently Wilhemina had issues with Tyra choosing IMG to be the agency for the second season of ANTM so Adrienne got caught in the crossfire. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BelaOxmyxx
    I agree, I've been asking myself this same question. Last season they had some really strong candidates: Shandi, Mercedes, April, and of course Yoanna. They had drama with Catie and clueless Camille. They had likable girls, Mercedes especially. This season's field seems particularly weak.
    I agree with you, and have also been thinking the same thing. I didn't see all of season 1, and am among the few who didn't like Elyse or Adrienne (simply based on personality, not looks or modeling potential), but between those two and Shannon, at least they had some conceivably legitimate contenders.

Last season, the top four were great, and I think Xiomara went too soon.

This year, there really isn't anyone who looks like they could even follow in Yoanna's footsteps. I'm really hoping the editing is hiding things. Even so, some of the best photographs are coming from the shortest girls, too short for runway, and even for a lot of print, from what I've seen.

At this point, I'm watching out of curiosity, not because I have a favorite to root for, someone who legitimately has a shot. I hope that changes!
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

FORT Regular
    Yes that was the show and they all lived together, don't know whatever happened to it. We start so many good shows but they do not get followed through sometimes. And yes we do have some nutty contestants over here sometimes on BB, they had a big bust up on BB5 just gone and started throwing plates on eachother
    Did they all live in the same house? Judging by your Big Brother though, reality shows in the UK can have nutty contestants as well!

CCL
    Yes that was the show and they all lived together, don't know whatever happened to it. We start so many good shows but they do not get followed through sometimes. And yes we do have some nutty contestants over here sometimes on BB, they had a big bust up on BB5 just gone and started throwing plates on eachother
    Yes and then the Americans take the concept and shake it up and make everything "more dramatic," "more superlative" etc (basically all the "big" adjectives you can think of). Ah, BB5, Michelle and Chicken Stu, the Divine Nadia...

Re: Toccara. She can do regular modelling! I'd love to see her in a fashion magazine personally. Plus the larger size market is increasing exponentially (no pun intended) so there are more and more opportunities for bigger girls. I even saw an ad for ( I think it was skin cream ? ) that made a point of using a larger model even though the product was not size-specific.
    I just don't get Toccara's appeal as a model. I think Toccara is too round in the mid-section to be taken seriously even for a plus size model.
    The shape of her knees were odd and protruding on a group photo.

Amanda is just on the show for drama which I got too much of this week. I will be glad to see her go.

Tyra has a knack for picking people that are no real threat to her in becoming the next Super Model who could really challenge the current click of Super Models for assignments.

Quote Originally Posted by elfgirl
    Anyone have any thoughts about why they picked this group? We've got short (for modelling) women, we've got one with bad skin, we've got one plus size (gorgeous woman, but not for regular modelling), we've got downright homely (IMO Magdalena, Leah and Kristi). What is up with this? A few years ago I saw a show about a contest for Sports Illustrated and they had a better group than this (and I understand about "interesting looking high fashion versus the more straigh-ahead SI look). I just don't think they chose the best in some situations. Is it all about the drama? ANTM season one had lots of drama, but without the height thing or the skin thing. If everyone was of Elyse's calibre it would be a more interesting contest. Bring back the redcoats!
    They didn't pick those girls just because of the drama. They picked them for diversity. Sure they pick people for reality shows because of drama, but it wasn't why they settled for short, big, and bad skin girls. They could have picked very "modely" type girls and there'd still be alot of drama. Whereever you have a bunch of women living together, there'll always be drama.