Page 4 of 170 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Amanda Lynn Swafford

Quote Originally Posted by FairytaleDREAMS
    Ooo alright, just thought she might be the one because of the 'eyes' - now I'm trying to figure out where she is in the group photo
    she is the one with the really light blue eyes, in the middle on her knees

Here is a close-up of her in the group photo - I don't think she looks like a guy at all:

[IMG]images/img/ANTM3_Amanda_GroupClose.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for the article Xantham, looks like the rumours were true. When was this article printed? Sounds like it was done before she was even on the show.

wow, it will leave her blind eventually? that's really sad.. to know what's to come and that it's inevitable.. :/

from Wikipedia:

Retinitis Pigmentosa, or RP, is a genetic eye condition. Generally, night blindness precedes tunnel vision by years or even decades. Many people with RP don't become legally blind until their 40's and 50's and retain some sight all their life. Other's go completely blind from RP, in some cases as early as childhood. Progression of RP is different in each case.

RP combined with progressive deafness is called Usher syndrome.

There is currently no medical treatment for Retinitis Pigmentosa.

normal vision:

The same view with tunnel vision from retinitis pigmentosa:

--

it says many people don't become legally blind until their 40's or 50's.. and she's been legally blind since 14! poor girl..
    Last edited by baby_wipes; 09-05-2004 at 04:17 PM.

How horrible for her! Imagine knowing you were going to lose your sight!

It doesn't make me like her as a model, though.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_wipes
    normal vision:

The same view with tunnel vision from retinitis pigmentosa:
    That is a really scary way to lose your eyesight.

Still, pretty and ethereal. I, too, would like to see her with dark hair. And 13 times is right: she does not look even remotely male!

Per our rules, I've removed articles posted here without links to the original content.

{Nik - Kim for ANTM5} FairytaleDREAMS's Avatar
    Oh she sort of did to me when it was from far away =/

I do feel sorry about her eyesight.. man thats creepy!
    To me, her face is different which is a bonus for a model but I am still not fancying her body -- something very out of proportion
    Last edited by fluff; 11-03-2004 at 06:34 PM.

I love her eyes! I think I'm like the only one who never thought that her or Kristi looked like men
    Last edited by fluff; 11-03-2004 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    That is a really scary way to lose your eyesight.

Still, pretty and ethereal. I, too, would like to see her with dark hair. And 13 times is right: she does not look even remotely male!
    Ok, I'm deaf, but I have some deaf friends who are Usher Syndrome/RP. Usher Syndrome's like RP except they're deaf. One out of 10 deaf people born with Usher Syndrome which means, they were already born deaf but eventually they'll turn blind at some point of their lives. Just like men balding. It's a genetic thing - something I will never understand about. Lol.

A lot of them are depressing about it but they have a lot of optimistic, more positive outlook on life than most regular deaf people with 20/20 vision I know of. You can tell from their eyes that they cherish everything they see.

It does suck when one of my coolest friends are going to be blind and he's only 19. I thank God every day that I was born unknown deaf and that's just it.

Usher syndrome and RP are similar. So far, I know of. When you're losing your eyes sight, you don't lose just your vision. You lose your depth, and then your balance, and then night-vision difficulity. That is SCARY. There's a lot of miscommunications because deaf people relied their eyes on sign language as their primary communication, right? With US people, they missed partly communciation too. They have to pay attention really hard. Sometime, they'll have to stand far in front of me, so they won't have to lose the entirely sight of me - or at least my hands. Know what I mean?

All that stuffs made me became a blind trainer, deaf/blind interpreter, and more understanding and compassions for the deaf/blind community. They're people just you and me. If Amanda have RP, I'm going to root for her all the way.

Just few penny thoughts.

G.